ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Two questions --Pictres and Music on site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/21/08 04:57 PM Views: 1410 Replies: 5
Friday, November 21, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I am not too computer smart. I want to put some pictures of class mates through the years on my site. Where do I put them? And more important is HOW?

I would love to put music on my site. Again, I don't know how to do it. Please simple terms for someone who is not too computer smart.

Thanks
Connie Hope

Friday, November 21, 2008 at 5:33 PM - Response #1

Hi Connie - this is a great place to ask for help. You can put the classmate pictures on any page by clicking on Edit Site Pages in your Admin Function links at the left of the page (you will see these links only when you are logged in) and selecting the page you want to add photos to. You can also use one of your customizable links to add photos; e.g., I have two links where I added photos: one is School Photos and the other is 50th Reunion Pics. Select the page you want to add pictures to, and place your cursor at the spot you want the picture to appear. Then click the yellow Image button (to the right of Source in the editor buttons). Click on Browse in the dialog box that opens up and navigate to the folder in your computer files to the first picture you want to upload. Press the Upload button to send it to the server and click OK after you get a message that your upload has been successful. Your picture shows now. To type in a caption, place your cursor at the right bottom of the picture and press Shift/Enter, then type your caption. Press Enter again to position your cursor to add the next picture. Be sure to SAVE your work.

You may need to do some editing work on your pictures before they are ready for uploading. If you don't have a picture editing program, you can get a free one at www.irfanview.com. You can crop out anything you don't like, and resize your picture to no more than 1000 pixels. Save them in the JPEG extension name (save at maximum quality). When you upload the picture to your web site, it will automatically be resized to fit. If you want the pictures smaller, enter the dimensions you want when you adjust the image size. I made my reunion photos 450 pixels wide (with aspect ratio locked so the height adjusts in the right ratio to width) because there are so many of them and it takes a long time to scroll through.

Edited 11/21/08 5:39 PM
Friday, November 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM - Response #2

Hi again Connie - this answers your question about how to put music on your site.

The general procedure for embedding playlists and other third party objects is as follows:

At the third party web site (in your case this would probably be www.playlist.com) follow their instructions to make a playlist and generate the code for your object, then select and copy the code.

Return to your Class Creator web site and enter edit mode for the page on which you wish to embed the object.
Click your mouse on the exact location on your page where you wish for the embedded object to appear. (Helpful tip: type something like HEREHERE at this spot to help you find the insertion spot when you are looking at the code.)

Click the "Source" button (the white box at the left in your editor) to see the source code view. Use the Edit/Find button and type in HEREHERE to find the spot to insert the code.

Paste the code that you previously copied. Click the "Source" button again to return to design view. Note: You will not see the third party embedded object in the Class Creator editor.

SAVE your page.

Preview your page live. You will now see the embedded object on your page.

NOTE ABOUT THE SIZE OF PLAYLIST.COM PLAYLISTS AND OTHER EMBEDDED OBJECTS: Most embedded objects will fit fine on any sub pages of your web site, however, your home page is divided into two columns and embedded objects that are too large will "blow out" the formatting of your home page and/or cross over other elements on the right side of your page. If you put an embedded object on your home page or Announcement Board do not use objects over 270 pixels wide. If you are embedding PlayList.com Playlists (width 435) you can easily change the size of your embedded player by following these steps:

After pasting your Playlist.com source code identify all widths and heights that are specified in the code (there are several instances of them so be sure to identify all instances).

Change ALL widths and ALL heights to 270. Then save your page. Your Playlist will now fit perfectly on your home page without interfering with the formatting.

Edited 02/06/09 12:01 AM
Monday, December 1, 2008 at 8:49 PM - Response #3

Hi -- Does this height and width apply to other pages too? I noticed our Music of the 60's page has shifted to the left and the source code before the playlist object is apparently:

Do I need to change the width and height to something else so the format returns to what it was earlier today? Not sure how that happened.....

Thanks, Elaine

Monday, December 1, 2008 at 9:16 PM - Response #4

That's one heckuva player, wow. Smile

No, on sub pages the player can be far larger than the home page. The player you're using here barely fits but fortunately it does in fact fit. The only problem you had here was it was aligned left and then to the right of it there was some extra text, shoving the player under your navigational links. Aligning third party objects, or photos, or tables, etc. left, and then typing text to the right of them, can often have the unintended effect of blowing out the page. You can usually avoid this by just leaving alignments set to default.

Monday, December 1, 2008 at 11:24 PM - Response #5

Well, I decided I was having too many multiple problems, rebooted my computer, and voila. Problem solved. Love those easy solutions!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.