ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

That yellow star

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 06/08/09 11:07 AM Views: 1647 Replies: 7
Monday, June 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Most of the icons on the Classmates page closely indicate the meaning of the icon, except the yellow star.

Please consider replacing the star with the nemeral '6' superimposed on a small calendar page, or somthing similar like those returned when I searched Google Images for "Calendar icon"

Edited 06/08/09 11:10 AM
Monday, June 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM - Response #1

Unfortunately that would be way too small in a small icon. Very small icons like this need to have nearly no definition, or else they just become a big blur.

Boy I'm telling ya that star is gunna get me. I doubt most people have noticed but we've changed it several times already, most recently due to complaints the former 6 point star was used by the Germans as a negative symbol for Jews in WWII (I had no idea).

In any case no, this is one we're going to stick with. In addition to half a million people already knowing what the star stands for, the rationale behind the star was when you did something good in school, you would get a gold star. Teachers often give out the gold star to symbolize reward. So you get rewarded when you keep your Profile current.....so to speak. I'm sure most people don't actually make that connection, but nonethless, unless the recently-updated 5 point star offends somebody else for some other reason, we're going to keep this one.

Edited 06/08/09 12:59 PM
Monday, June 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM - Response #2

Brad,
I am among those who never made the gold star connection. However, now that you pointed it out, I'll put something in my announcement section like: "Update your profile and earn another gold star!". That might bring in more updates. Thanks for explaining!

Diana

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM - Response #3

Brad - Thanks for telling us that - it now makes sense.
Diana - Would'nt "Update your profile to keep your Gold Star!" be better?

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 5:43 PM - Response #4

Stan, it would be a good idea except that my site has been up for over six months and people have already lost their gold stars. So, back to school for them!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 11:32 PM - Response #5

Brad Switzer wrote:

...when you did something good in school, you would get a gold star. Teachers often give out the gold star to symbolize reward. So you get rewarded when you keep your Profile current.....so to speak. I'm sure most people don't actually make that connection, but nonethless, unless the recently-updated 5 point star offends somebody else for some other reason, we're going to keep this one.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to automatically advise new classmates of the meaning of the gold star when they join the class.

Will classmates be automatically reminded that their gold star is about to 'expire', say a week or two before it does?

Are there any automatic contacts made with classmates, eg birthdays, new year, etc?

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM - Response #6

The meaning of the gold star, although most likely not equated to receiving a gold star in school, is listed in the key, and it should be clear what it means whether the school symbology is ever recognized.

Yes, the system does inform Classmates when they lose their gold star. For the most part our system will seldomly send Classmates emails, but this is one case where it does. Some of the other emails are under your control in the Preferences area, such as the New Year's email. You can reword that email any way you want, or deactivate it if you don't want it going out, etc.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 8:14 AM - Response #7

Great Brad! I didn't realized we have the automated notice. Just one more super thing from CC! And nice that we can change the wording as well. That should do the trick.

D.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.