ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Yearbook Photos Displaying by Default?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/26/13 08:38 AM Views: 1523 Replies: 40
Friday, April 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM

On your Classmate Profiles page is the option to show yearbook photos. I have two questions:

1) Who would like the yearbook photo view to be the default view rather than showing classmates by name only?

2) Should we make the default Classmate Profiles page view a settable option on the Preferences page? I.E. you could set the default view for Classmate Profiles page to be name only, or name + yearbook photo.

Please answer #1 even if your answer to #2 is yes. Thank you! Smile

Brad

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM - Response #1

#1 - No. I prefer itas it is now. There are times names are more convenient than photos and vice versa. Depends what I am doing.

#2 - Yes. Everyone does not work the same way so this would be a good option.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM - Response #2

Brad,
1. I do not want the yearbook photo view to be the default view.. Takes too long to go through the list with the pictures included.

2. If I understand correctly, if I answer yes, which is what I think I want.. The page won't change. We still have a option to have photos or just names.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM - Response #3

Brad,
I like system the way it is right now. Hence, I would not vote to changing it.

I always like options. I would vote yes for the 2nd question. While you are creating the options, create one where on any given date you can list the people who are attending the reunion and then show their pictures. This can be done right now but it does take some gyrations.

George

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM - Response #4

#1, No

#2, Yes

Thanks for asking our opinion. . . Sandy

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM - Response #5

#1) Keep it as it is. Much easier to search without photos. Having the option to show photos as it is now is fine.

#2) Yes. Options are always good, and this would call attention to the possibility of showing the photos for those who don't look so carefully.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM - Response #6

#1 - I like the system the way it is now, with a list of names and the ability to click an option to see the photos if I want. So I would vote for no change.

#2 - Having this as a preference would be a good idea, since everyone works differently. But I would prefer the default view to be by name only.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM - Response #7

Oops. This was really sent by me, not Roni. We must have used her sign in last time. Doesn't matter; she agrees with me.Wink

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM - Response #8

1 Keep it as it is
2 options are good

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM - Response #9

Brad, We admins really appreciate you guys and all the effort that goes into supporting us and the website. I really appreciate your getting feedback from us as well as taking action on suggestions that we give you ... y'all care and that's fantastic!
I love being able to see the yearbook photos. We are able to see them on the Classmate Profiles page and the In Memory Page. It would also be nice to be able to see them on the Missing Classmates page as well (enhancement).
With all that being said, I have over 600 classmates in my site. When the YB Photos are displayed, I/we have to do a lot of scrolling down to see the various attributes (profile update, service, reunion sign up, etc.) when it is less effort to just scroll down to see who has done what things at a shorter glance. So, with all that said, I guess my answer to question #1 would be to show the YB photos optionally, not as the default. I can see that smaller classes would like for it to be the default to see the photos.
Which all the above leads me to feel that having the options on the Preferences page would probably be the best approach for me and my large class size.

Thanks for everything you guys continue to do!

Steve

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM - Response #10

1. No.
2. Yes.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM - Response #11

#1, No

#2, Yes

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM - Response #12

#1, No

#2, Yes

Thanks for asking our opinion. I appreciate your hard work!
Tom

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM - Response #13

#1 - no, like the picture being default

#2 - yes

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM - Response #14

1. No.
2. Yes.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM - Response #15

I too would want to opt for 2. Giving the admins this option is definitely the best way to go. There are some situations that make sense for allowing the classmate profiles page to have the yearbook photos as the default view. Maybe it has to do with the class being very small or that the site is being build for a club or small organization. Either way, in this case, I think it is a good option for the Admin to decide upon.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM - Response #16

I agree with everyone else. No to #1 and yes to #2.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM - Response #17

1. No
2. Yes.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM - Response #18

Hi Brad,

1) I think it's OK as is for the default.

2)I like the idea of the options...more flexible.

Thanks for asking!

Dave

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM - Response #19

Tommy Morton wrote:

1. No.
2. Yes.

I agree Tom

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM - Response #20

1 - no, picture in default (privacy)
2 - yes, option to set any combo as default

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM - Response #21

To throw a wrench into the mix, could there be a "Not Logged In" option and a "Logged in" option (for privacy reasons)? Or maybe if not logged in, the image doesn't show (or shows "Image not available"), again for privacy reasons.

If the admin chose to show the Yearbook Photos on the Classmate Profiles page, show a blank image if not logged.

My vote: 1 - don't show pictures by default. #2 - yes give the option (but explain it would only show them if logged in)

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM - Response #22

#1- No

#2- Yes

Many thanks, John

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM - Response #23

Hi Brad,
I choose #2 for my websites!
Oh, to answer in format:
1. No
2. Yes :> Terry

Edited 04/26/13 1:00 PM
Friday, April 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM - Response #24

1. I think the default view should be names only as it is now.

2. An option to change the default view would be OK although I wouldn't use it.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM - Response #25

FYI only logged-in classmates have the "Show Yearbook Photo" button available. If your Classmate Profiles page is not password protected the public can view the page but cannot turn on yearbook photos. If we did that it would definitely violate privacy, photos would be pulled into Google Images, and so forth and so on.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM - Response #26

Question 1 : No ! What's on there now is great!

Question 2 : Yes just because it's always good to have an option, but I agree with Kyle, only for those logged in.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM - Response #27

#1 no
#2 yes

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM - Response #28

If we have the option on under preferences, it doesn't matter to me what the default is. Thanks for thinking of it.

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM - Response #29

1. No
2. Yes

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM - Response #30

1. No
2. Yes
Is this another way of saying "it looks like we are doing this anyway so you can have choice on how to do it?"

How about making the "yearbook picture" appear when someone logs on if they do not have photo selected?

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM - Response #31

1. No
2. Yes
Thanks for asking!
Carole

Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM - Response #32

1. No
2. Yes

Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM - Response #33

1. No.
2. Yes.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM - Response #34

1. Leave as is.

2. Preference setting is fine but each classmate should have the option of changing it themselves. Although, this kind of negates the preference setting.

Jim

Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM - Response #35

1. No (we have 875 classmates--it would take too long to scroll through them)

2. Yes

As usual, you are all doing a great job!

Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM - Response #36

1. No
2. Yes

Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM - Response #37

1. No
2. Yes

CC is always thinking....we appreciate it!

Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM - Response #38

Brad Switzer wrote:

FYI only logged-in classmates have the "Show Yearbook Photo" button available. If your Classmate Profiles page is not password protected the public can view the page but cannot turn on yearbook photos. If we did that it would definitely violate privacy, photos would be pulled into Google Images, and so forth and so on.

That's not so. I don't recall where the option is but on my site you do not have to be logged on to view the yearbook photos. Please don't change that! After 55 years any resemblance between then and now is most likely coincidental anyway.

Found it. The option is on the Edit/Enter classmates page.

Edited 04/28/13 10:04 PM
Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM - Response #39

I agree with Lynda's answer.

Monday, April 29, 2013 at 3:54 AM - Response #40

Ah, you are correct. We don't show the yearsbook photos by default to non logged in viewers. We added the option at some point to toggle it on. But we change any file names so photos don't get associated in Google images with a name.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.