ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Different Twist on Multi Year / Guest Passes

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/04/09 06:54 AM Views: 1649 Replies: 4
Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 6:54 AM

hi Brad -
Several of the class years around mine already have their own sites up on ClassCreator and the desire is growing to allow guest access between the separate site members--seemingly to make contact with old friends.

Instead of doing a multi-year site (I don't think you have a way to mash up existing independent ones anyway), I like keeping them separate for numerous administrative purposes. On top of that, we'd quickly blow right by your 5,000 person limitations.

And I want to avoid creating guest account after guest account, as it introduces another administrative problem (I often have no idea who these people are, plus things happen as they years go by).

So my question is how best to accommodate this? Could there be a way one day to set my site to accept a specific list of other sites' logins to allow their members access to, say, our profiles and message boards--and vice-versa?

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 10:35 AM - Response #1

There is no 5,000 person limitation for multi year sites. There are sites here with up to 35,000 names entered into the system. The 5,000 limitation you may be referring to is the limit to the number of Classmates you can display on your Clasmate Profiles page if you've chosen to NOT break down the display by class year. If you go over 5,000 the system forces you to display Classmates by year.

Yes, the feature you're talking about is called Guest Passes, and it's something that was added to the Task List early this year. That feature is still on the way, but due to the limited number of people who needed it (the demand is now growing as I bet you can imagine) we didn't give the task high priority. Thus dozens of other user requests got on the list ahead of it. Long story short, it's still coming, most likely in the first portion of next year.

Edited 11/04/09 10:36 AM
Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM - Response #2

Hey Tom:

If you have a few minutes (...well maybe a good half hour) you might like to read the following Multi-Year Forum Thread: Multi-year site potential Solutions

This is some background information on the Multi-Year Class Issues previously discussed.

Kudos Brad!!! to you and your hard working team,
CAV

Edited 11/04/09 2:28 PM
Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 2:36 PM - Response #3

Hey, thanks Brad & CAV -

I went back several months looking for such a thread but didn't go back far enough. I'll read up on it tonight.

Brad, I'll look forward to the guest pass next year. I think my class was the first to jump on CC, and then several others asked how we did it, so we sent them your way with obvious results.

- Tom

{Later] Holy smokes, CAV - you guys talked up a storm!

Edited 11/05/09 7:10 AM
Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM - Response #4

Cool, thanks Tom. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.