ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Reunion Registration Form - Wording Tweak

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/13/08 07:51 PM Views: 2483 Replies: 6
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 7:51 PM

For a non-logged-in classmate, the reunion registration forms will read:

"If you will be attending our XX Year Reunion please complete the following Registration form.

You must log in to see the Registration form."

Which really doesn't make all that much sense.

Would it be possible instead to have the first sentence ("if you will be attending...") to be part of the form itself (that displays for a logged in classmate)?

Then when the classmate is not logged in they would see just the alternate sentence "You must log in to see the Reg Form" - and emphasize the alternate sentence - either as H3, or em.

Hope I am clear.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 8:54 PM - Response #1

Thanks for the recommendation. Any and all wording in the Reunion Planner is subject to change right now. We're still taking suggestions for "Reunion Planner II." We're not planning any additional changes to Reunion Planner I, mostly to just make the best use of our time.

You may have noticed we just replaced the old custom questions functionality (that was limited to eight) with a new feature that looks more like the Survey Maker. We did this now so we could offer all kinds of improved reporting in Reunion Planner II (like how many people are having the chicken dinner, how many people are having vegetarian, etc.).

We will also be replacing the somewhat confusing checkbox ordering system with a more traditional "add to cart" system that Classmates will better understand. And a few dozen other more minor tweaks too. Unfortunately Reunion Planner II is quite a ways down the priority list right now, so we'll probably be looking at these things late this year.

Edited 08/13/08 8:56 PM
Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 6:22 AM - Response #2

Pretty please can you change the wording:

"If you will be attending our [30-Year Reunion] please complete the following Registration form."

to,

"Please register if you plan on attending our [30-Year Reunion]"

And

"You must log in to see the Registration form."

to

"(Please note: You must log in to see the Registration form.)"

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM - Response #3

Heh. You probably think I'm being difficult with you dontcha Andy? Smile

I'm really not meaning to be. Honestly I'm not really seeing much difference between: "You must log in to see the Registration form" and "(Please note: You must log in to see the Registration form.)" All wording changes are applied to BOTH the logged in version of the page, AND the logged out version of the page. When you're logged out it needs to be clear that there is something that would normally be seen here if you were logged in.

In any case, let me briefly explain why we can't peace-meal stuff into closed features. Reunion Planner I is currently closed, and we are taking suggestions for Reunion Planner II. I receive over 700 emails a day, and many of those 700 are "can you do a this or that here, can you do a this or that there." Whenever something makes sense I do log it on our to do list and put it into the queue for the programmers.

We can't interrupt them for every little thing though. If I did that we'd be interrupting them constantly and they'd never get anything done. I have to organize priorities and give stuff to the programmers in an order that makes sense and allows them to focus. Rather than 47 sporadic changes to the Reunion Planner, I need to give them all changes all at the same time, all well thought out so their workflow is as efficient as it can be.

Hope you understand. Reunion Planner II will kick the pants off of the current Reunion Planner, and all wording and functionality is subject to change. When it launches there will be a period of time afterwards where we keep the task open for recommendations and tweaks, etc.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 1:30 PM - Response #4

Actually I was hoping for just changing:

"If you will be attending our [30-Year Reunion] please complete the following Registration form."

to,

"Please register if you plan on attending our [30-Year Reunion]"

Which got rid of the potential confusion when not logged in. The rest was just a cherry on top.

You, difficult? Not at all. I totally appreciate what you're doing and the constraints you have.

The ice cream sundae you have served up is already very wonderful.

I just know my classmates javascript:addSmiley('Rolling Eyes'); and if things aren't crystal clear I'll be getting emails about it.. "You say complete the following form, but there isn't one...."

Keep up the good work! It's all great.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 4:20 PM - Response #5

It's written to be obvious that there would be a form there if the Classmate was logged in though. Smile Note, I'd estimate about 90% of Classmates never log out. The cookie on their computer keeps them logged in forever if they don't log out manually. Thus you're looking at about 10% of people who will see that verbiage anyway.

Now, if you keep up this level of scrutiny, I may just have to hire you. Smile People who pay attention to detail? My kinda people.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM - Response #6

I was looking at it from the point of view of a first time visitor to the site. A responder to an email blast/post card announcing the reunion. They click around, decide if they want to register on not, and if they get confused, well, they will be out of there in a heart beat and we have one less person to make fun of at the party...

I'd be happy to join your team if you have some room. But I must warn you, I only work for Guiness.

I'm not much of a PHP/MySQL-from-scratch guy, but I've put together enough XOOPS sites (now Impress CMS) and hacked my way thru templates and CSS and language files to get very user friendly sites developed.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.