ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Photo Gallery - photos are missing

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/27/17 10:08 PM Views: 1147 Replies: 26
Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 10:08 PM

for Joe Ryan Memorial Concert. Can you please indicate why photos are suddenly missing and how to locate the missing photos. Thank you

Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM - Response #1

The Joe Ryan Memorial Concert gallery page does not have a gallery assigned to it. Have you inquired with your co-admin as to if they were working in the gallery creator?

Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 7:03 PM - Response #2

Thanks for checking, Scott. I alone manage all the galleries. I created a new gallery this week.
There's approx 40 photos missing for Joe Ryan Memorial Concert and I saw them Monday. Please advise how to repost the photos. I think I have most of them. Other than Monday, I haven't created a gallery in months. I was surprised to see Joe's gallery empty. Any input to recreate is appreciated. Thank you.

Edited 09/28/17 7:04 PM
Friday, September 29, 2017 at 9:29 AM - Response #3

Are you certain the gallery is not there but listed under the other gallery page? If it is, you can go to Edit for the gallery and change the page for Within Link.

Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 6:05 PM - Response #4

This 1960 site, on which I am a co-admin, also had some gallery photos disappear. When one clicks on the Picture Gallery link the message "This page currently has no active galleries" is displayed. When looking at the Gallery Creator page one sees there are no longer any galleries and the Picture Gallery entry is not checked which would indicate to me that it once did as was the case. No admin or co-admin says they have deleted anything.

Two questions:

1) Is there any way to recover the missing galleries?
2) Why does a link to Picture Gallery appear when it is not checked>

Edited 09/30/17 6:07 PM
Monday, October 2, 2017 at 2:54 PM - Response #5

This is very odd. With 2 reports, I will inquire further with the programmer. Fred - when did you notice the missing gallery?

Monday, October 2, 2017 at 3:37 PM - Response #6

Scott, it was first noticed about 10 days ago when the root admin clicked on the link. However, the galleries had been around for quite a while and the pictures were quite "stale" so whatever happened could have been well before that.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 1:11 PM - Response #7

This is the report I got from the Programmer: "No gallery photos are deleted immediately, they're toggled inactive and deleted 30 days later. There are no pending photos for deletion on either site, and no orphaned records in the database." So, if something did indeed happen, it occurred more than 30 days ago.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 1:57 PM - Response #8

I had no idea that gallery photos had a use by date. I imagine a lot of other admins didn't either.

1. What causes them to be toggled inactive? It would be nice to get a notification that they have been so designated in order for an admin to take some action before they are lost forever.

2. If toggled inactive and within 30 days they are viewed do they become active again?

3. Short of deleting the link how can I get the inactive Picture Gallery link off the visible navigation links? This is on the 1960 site.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 2:10 PM - Response #9

What my message means is that if a gallery is deleted, it is not deleted immediately. It would become inactive but not removed for 30 days... presumably so that if an admin accidentally deletes a gallery, if they call, we might still be able to retrieve the gallery. If a gallery is made inactive by untoggling the active button, the gallery remains. This is very different from the acti of deleting the gallery. So, your question 2 does not apply either. 3. Any live gallery page can be made inactive on the gallery creator page by unchecking the active checkbox.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 2:30 PM - Response #10

Thanks for the clarification. I'm much relieved.

As to item 3 the gallery link is inactive but still appears.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 2:42 PM - Response #11

If the gallery page still appears... (row in blue) , then the page itself must still be active. Double check to see that the blue page row is what you have turned off.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 10:29 PM - Response #12

It's nice to learn that there is a backup (of sorts) if we delete a gallery by mistake. But... If I delete a gallery, it's gone - and I can no longer see it.

Going back to the beginning of this thread where Elena said she saw her galley on Monday and it was gone on Wednesday, it is possible that she (and maybe CC staff) can't see it, but it's still there and the programmer can activate it?

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 10:41 PM - Response #13
Gallery.JPG

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 4:19 AM - Response #14

1. Sept 30, I was able to locate 61 photos for the missing gallery; Joe Ryan Memorial Concert.
2. Because I haven't received any Notification on this Forum topic since Sept 29, glad I checked this Forum w/out receiving Notification. Had no clue this topic has so many comments!
3. Two galleries are now missing from Sept 29, 2015 and late December 2015. I cannot recall the gallery names - I checked all gallery names and the 2 missing galleries are not even inactive nor did I delete the galleries. Our classmate, Joe (who has since passed away), was an accomplished musician & folk singer. He performed for our classmates twice in 2015. Both galleries from 2015 are now missing.

Edited 10/04/17 4:54 AM
Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 11:20 AM - Response #15

It is not meant to serve as a "backup."

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 11:45 AM - Response #16

Scott,
My comment never inferred "serving as a backup".

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 12:46 PM - Response #17

Elena - wasn't to you. Smile John had inferred it a little bit above.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 12:24 AM - Response #18

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

What my message means is that if a gallery is deleted, it is not deleted immediately. It would become inactive but not removed for 30 days... presumably so that if an admin accidentally deletes a gallery, if they call, we might still be able to retrieve the gallery.

Did I misunderstand? Saving what could have been an unintentional delete (even for just 30 days) as an inactive - and possibly hidden - gallery, which could be activated if needed sure sounded like a 'backup' to me.

In fact, it would be a plus - and good programming - if all pages deletes were handled like that. We know that there have been times when CC was able to restore a page which was deleted by mistake.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM - Response #19

No that is not what is happening. The delete, since we have the admin confirm the delete, appears to happen immediately to the admin. It is no longer available to the admin in the interface. For all intensive purposes, it is gone at that point. However, for 30 days the programmer still has access.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM - Response #20

Scott, I think that's what John meant "for 30 days the programmer still has access."

Would be cool to actually have that as part of the interface though Idea

Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 1:56 PM - Response #21

Probably not going to happen. It is clutter that is really only in the background for our use in absolute emergencies only.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 2:24 PM - Response #22

"Clutter"? Is trash in your email "clutter"? Sometimes I really scratch my head over the explanations.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 3:29 PM - Response #23

Back to my original question: Because I didn't delete 2 galleries from 2015, where did they go? I didn't delete the 2 missing galleries. They appeared 'forever' named as Joe Ryan at the Pub, September 29, 2015 and December 29, 2015. Both galleries contained photos of Joe performing - the last photos of Joe alive. He passed away Feb 2016 and was beloved by his classmates.

Edited 10/05/17 3:31 PM
Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM - Response #24

I do not have an answer for this. On our end, there is no trace of the images and no way for me to track them down. I suspect they have been gone for a long time. But I cannot speak to how they are gone because there is no technical trace to answer the question.

Friday, October 6, 2017 at 3:07 PM - Response #25

Thanks, Scott.
I've saved most of the photos. Will create both galleries when I can.

Friday, October 6, 2017 at 3:34 PM - Response #26

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Probably not going to happen. It is clutter that is really only in the background for our use in absolute emergencies only.

While temporarily saving a deleted gallery does involve additional overhead, it's not 'clutter' any more than automatically saving pages when we make a page change. As I recall, CC manages the 'clutter' there by permanently keeping only the latest two saves and removing older saves over some fairly short period of time.

The availability to restore a deleted page is just as - and perhaps more - critical as the current ability to restore the last good page when we mistakenly make a major change that needs to be backed out by a restore from a previous save.

Saving deleted pages (and galleries) and protecting users from costly or critical mistakes is an industry (and programming) standard. And the lack of functionality to give users a way to recover from inadvertent errors is a significant omission. The only thing missing now is temporarily saving deleted pages - as you do galleries - and user access to a list of deleted pages or galleries kept for some relatively short time.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.