ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

whitelisting - a geeky techie term

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/16/11 11:01 AM Views: 1498 Replies: 8
Monday, May 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I just sent in a question via the Contact Us link on the main ClassCreator.com site. I received a Thank you page with this message:
Thank you for your inquiry. You will receive a response by email to your inquiry within 1 Business Day. To ensure you receive our response you should whitelist (also called Adding To Safe Senders list) the email address noreply@classcreator.net.

I've seen these terms used in other emails from the site. The use of "whitelist" and "Adding to Safe Senders List" is really techie talk - I've had no end of questions what these really mean, how to find them, etc etc. I know what whitelisting means, but it really is not a term common to the general public and probably not to many people who run alumni sites, nor should it be.

Would it be possible to change this wording wherever it appears to just "Add the noreply@classcreator.net address to your address book (sometimes called a contact list)"? This needs to be included in the Class Creator FAQ Email Questions #5 in terms like this, too. I have yet to find either of these terms using my Mac OSX system - maybe I'm just blind to them - and may users who use PCs are similarly confused.

Thanks

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM - Response #1

Good point and suggestion.

What's interesting is that if a person said "blacklist" (almost) everyone would know what meantIdea Yet it's just the opposite of "whitelist".

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM - Response #2

The content of that Welcome Message is located on your Preferences page. Feel free to edit that content however you wish.

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM - Response #3

Scott, your response reminds me of a change that could help some other admins. The "root" admin has access to things that the other admins do not. (For example, the message you mention - I do not see "preferences" on my menu).

About the only exclusive item that a "root" should have that the rest do not, is the control of who is an admin - I'm guessing a bit - since all I recall is a list of profile questions and the global code for google, obviously I don't recall the Welcome Message.

There are times that I need (or want) to modify something that only the root admin can change. Sometimes it's too much a PIA to bother and at other times I worry that my instructions are not clear enough. (This message is a good example - I think ours is the default?)

This is mostly an issue for those of use with multiple admins - we have 4. Plus, if the "root" is not available, it let's any of us fix details.

So how about thinking about making more areas accessible to other adminsQuestion

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM - Response #4

I'll forward to discuss the option internally. Thanks.

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM - Response #5

Well, I have many admins, and I just went and looked at the Preference page. I would not want anyone going in and messing with any of the items there. No message goes out with my name on it that I did not pen. No-No. In fact, nothing comes officially from the site that I did not pre-approve.

The rest is standard stuff that would not need to be changed once the site was set up or items that should not be changed without an admin group discussion/decision. There is nothing there that anyone of my people would be allowed to change without my approval, so what would be the point?

My 2 cents....M:O)

Edited 05/16/11 6:21 PM
Monday, May 16, 2011 at 8:58 PM - Response #6

The way to handle this is to make it an option. There's lot's of stuff I do that nobody else knows how to doWink Many items are not possible to "discuss" since they involve programming knowledge. It's only because of my background that I know this and I don't expect them to learn it either. It's why there are different admins - each one has a different interest area, develops it and sometimes I help it outIdea

Of course there could be a discussion over general concepts, however, there has to be some trust here too, otherwise why are they admins? As it is, any admin can wreak havoc instantly if they desire. All the additional option would provide is the ability to look at any of the areas that might need corrections as things evolve.

One example of a technical area that I wish I could play with easier: the google analytics actually controls much more than just the visit stats. You can also provide overriding CSS for ALL the pages automagically. I've done that to stop the scrolling when not logged in and remove the left and top margins. But since I couldn't do this directly, it has to be done via instructions.

That plus the fact that it sometimes takes a lot of experimenting to see what works with CC (it's not the same as one's own website), it would be a LOT easier if I could just tinker directly. Another example of tinkering: our pages are wider than any CC site and can be any width desired without CC 3. There are many other things that are possible too, but it requires direct access to that "root" feature.

And that's the point. It just depends on one's backgroundWink

Edited 05/16/11 9:07 PM
Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM - Response #7

Wow. Thanks for all that info!

My admins are social and creative...definitely not techy. One day I sent out an email asking who had turned off the pics on the class roster and why. The response was "Did I do that?" Gotta love 'em...they give the site energy.

That would be my fear: accidents on the preference page.

The things we would discuss would be concepts like IM, classmate verification.

CC has set this up so that the site can be run without skills beyond the basics learned in these forums. I am content to stay within the CC boundaries and spend my time being social and content creative. Like you said, it depends on one's background.

I think I just agreed with you 100 percent!

Have a great day!

M:O)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM - Response #8

I totally agree that "accidents" are a problem when starting out. Our "root" made some early on, but that's just a learning curve on what to "not touch" please or to "please check your work" before logging off. Or for the galleries with text - please make a backup (since there is no backup yet). I bet I sounded like a nagger there for a whileEmbarassed

Also agree 100% that CC can be (mostly) run with basic skills. I like to tell people that if they can handle Word with pictures and styled fonts, they can handle CC. Plus it's possible with a bit of effort to push the boundaries. Good thing or I'd go nutsTwisted Evil

I understand your concerns too. For me, it's just fun to do things I never had the time to do before. (And sometimes a challenge)

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.