ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Missing photos

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/10/10 11:54 PM Views: 2264 Replies: 13
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I know that this question has been posed before, but could not find it. Some photos have disappeared from "Grade School Photo" page. Only a box and a red X remains. How did this happen and how can I bring back the photos?

Edited 02/10/10 11:55 PM
Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 12:41 AM - Response #1

You or another Admin at some pointed opened your File Vault and deleted them. The page they were on is still trying to pull them in though. Thus you get the Red X, becuase the source image itself has been removed from your site. The easiest way to get the images back is to upload them again from your computer just like you did the first time. If you use the same file name you won't even have to re-place the images on the page where they are missing. They will automaticcally snap back into place.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 9:14 AM - Response #2

Brad, I'm glad this question came up because I've been wondering for a while if there might be one more step in the loss. When I load a picture onto the site, I made the assumption that the site was storing the memory of the picture in my vault; but I found if I deleted the picture from my computer's memory (never touching the vault image), that it was also automatically deleted from my vault. This is not true of classmate pictures, so they must be stored in a different way on your site?

Now with the addition of the new Photo Gallery, it would be helpful to know what pictures must remain stored on my computer AND in your file vaults, to ensure that pictures remain on the site.

Edited 02/11/10 12:48 PM
Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM - Response #3

I am not certain if the photos in question were uploaded by me or a classmate. My question is: if they were uploaded by a classmate and I just went onto their page and copied and pasted the photos onto the grade school page, are they then in my vault? Or are they still on the classmates page? And, if the classmate should delete them, would they remain in my vault?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM - Response #4

Ruth Shepherd wrote:

Brad, I'm glad this question came up because I've been wondering for a while if there might be one more step in the loss. When I load a picture onto the site, I made the assumption that the site was storing the memory of the picture in my vault; but I found if I deleted the picture from my computer's memory (never touching the vault image), that it was also automatically deleted from my vault. This is not true of classmate pictures, so they must be stored in a different way on your site?

Now with the addition of the new Photo Gallery, it would be helpful to know what pictures must remain stored on my computer AND in your file vaults, to ensure that pictures remain on the site.

Nope, just not true Ruth. It would be absolutely impossible for you to delete a picture from your local computer and that action to also cause the photo to delete from your File Vault.

I have seen some people inadvertently link to a photo on their own local hard drive, thus they're the only ones who can see it in the browser. And if they delete that local photo, they it also goes away in the browser. I don't think this is what's happening to you though. In fact I really don't know what's happening to you. I can absolutely assure you though, photos in File Vault have nothing to do with photos you're storing locally. There is absolutely zero channce you could delete a local copy and have it delete an online copy, or vice versa.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM - Response #5

Being hard-headed, I had to test it. Of course you are right...take it off the hard-drive on my computer, and the image is still here on the site.

Since I am the only administrator on my site, I obviously did something dumb to make images disappear. At least I know for certain now, that it wasn't deleting the images, so I can delete them from my hard-drive.

One of our classmates recently gave me a good acronym for this...it's a "PICNIC" (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer)... new to me, but I'm betting you heard that one before...lol...yup, I'm a picnic!! Embarassed

Thanks for being such a patient teacher Brad!!!

Edited 02/11/10 3:55 PM
Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM - Response #6

Still hoping for clarification on copy and paste. Did I do wrong? Does this put the photos in my vault or does it stay on a classmate's photo page?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM - Response #7

Nancy Strand wrote:

I am not certain if the photos in question were uploaded by me or a classmate. My question is: if they were uploaded by a classmate and I just went onto their page and copied and pasted the photos onto the grade school page, are they then in my vault? Or are they still on the classmates page? And, if the classmate should delete them, would they remain in my vault?

Photos that are uploaded to Classmate Profiles are NOT counted in your File Vault space at all. Thus if you copy one, and paste it somewhere else on your site, it is still not counted in your total File Vault space at all.

If the Classmate uploads the photo as part of a Community Photo Gallery using the Gallery Creator feature, then yes it would be counted in your total File Vault space.

In general, everything is counted toward File Vault space except Classmate Profile photos. If we counted those I think we'd drive a lot of Admins crazy trying to manage their File Vault space, since that area is completley outside of their control.

Monday, February 15, 2010 at 12:12 AM - Response #8

I don't know what is causing this, but photos keep disappearing from our website, particularly the Grade School Photo page. I have checked with the other people that have Admin Access and they have not done anything with photos. All of this has happened since you added the photo editing options. Why is this occurring?

Monday, February 15, 2010 at 3:50 AM - Response #9

I have no idea, but it would have nothing to do with Gallery Creator or photo editing. Your Grade School Photos page is just a regular site page you've uploaded photos to. If you go into edit mode for the page and click on various recent versions of the page in your page backup area, do you see the photos there? Have you added all of the photos to your File Vault yourself, or are you pulling in any images from a third party server anywhere? One thing I can tell you for sure is the photos can't delete themselves. Either an Admin has edited the page and made changes (which again, you should be able to see in your Page Backup archive), or the images were deleted from a third party source (if applicable).

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 11:43 PM - Response #10

June 27, 2010
A classmate said last night that the pictures in emails have an X. I found this also to be true on ones I looked at today that I still had. After reading the above I see that if I delete from the vault, then the pictures are gone from the site. And I thought I was doing a good deed by cleaning up the vault.

Anyway...why the X ?

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 9:52 AM - Response #11

The "X" is where code on the page is trying to access an image that cannot be found. Essentially, that code that used to display the image, is still located on the page, even though you have deleted the image from the file vault. Any images that you wish to be displayed on the site pages, need to remain in the file vault... that is where the images are hosted. If you remove those images and do not remove the code, the "X" is displayed where the image would have appeared. Also, the X is how Internet Explorer marks a missing image, other browsers may have different symbols.

Scott

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM - Response #12

I unfortunately figured out that the webpage photos would be missing if I deleted them from the vault after I deleted them.

But how does that effect a person's emails sent before any deletion was done? Does she need a update on Flashdrive or somehthing? I got the impression that she doesn't see any of the photos.

Also---Is there a way that a photo is marked as currently being used on the website? Some pictures in the vault were things for holidays which I don't need. But others I didn't remember them as being on the site.

KQuestionWink

Edited 06/28/10 2:20 PM
Monday, June 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM - Response #13

Even in the e-mail, the image is still referencing the stored image in the File Vault. If you delete it, the e-mail will not be able to view the image because it is no longer there.

There is no way to mark an image as being used because it could be used in ways we don't even know about (if you see an image on a different ClassCreator website, you can just link to their image and not store it in your own file vault. The problem is that if they delete the image you are linked to, you will now get an X on your website. There was no way that the other admin knew that you were referencing their photo).

Kyle

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.