Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

announcement is showing completely

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/01/08 08:24 PM Views: 1192 Replies: 3
Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Brad,

HELP!

I am trying to put an announcement on the front page. But every time I do. A paragraph gets left out. And I don't know what I am doing to cause it.

If you could look at our site and tell me what is wrong.

After the address should be the date and time and a paragraph explaining the event. Then the picture that is showing.

Thanks,
Terry

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 11:51 PM - Response #1

I'm nearly certain you've put in some special character in your Announcement that is throwing off the system. I bet if you look near your missing paragraph you'll find some type of symbol you've put in there.

Even if you do find a symbol, please don't edit the page for a moment, I need to have a programmer take a look at this so we can identify the exact cause/symbol that's in there, and then programming something so the same situation won't cause the same problem for other people.

Hang tight.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 12:35 AM - Response #2

Brad,
I just checked your reply and I noticed a mistake on my part.

You see I am helping a friend with a neighborhing high school class. I stupidly used the same email for both sites, with different passwords.

The account that I am having problems with the announcements, is on the classichornets78.com

I do hope I didn't cause you too much frustration.

Thanks for oyur help.

Terry

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 12:43 AM - Response #3

Holey smokes. I see the problem. You've got tons upon tons of html code in your Announcement that was not generated by our system.

Are you creating this content in Microsoft Word, or some other html program, and then pasting it in? If Word, never ever do that, because a whole bunch of behind the scenes code will paste in there that you're not expecting. Go into edit mode for your Announcement and click your Source button -- see what I mean? My oh my what a mess.

Here's what I recommend you do.

1) Edit your announcement, click Source, and delete absolutely everything in there.

2) Go to wherever you made this content, copy it, and then paste it into Notepad. That will strip out the tons of html code that's copying along with your text.

3) After pasting into Notepad, now reselect the text and copy it again.

4) Now go into your editor again and paste. This time you'll be pasting in totally clean text with no behind the scenes source code.

5) Format your Announcement as you see fit.

Edited 10/02/08 12:45 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.