ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Problem with left margin spacing...

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/10/10 01:32 AM Views: 2100 Replies: 12
Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 1:32 AM

On my friends CC site: http://www.classcreator.com/Salisbury-NC-Boyden-1960/class_index.cfm

I'm using announcements for the Home page content. I have this vertical image set to be flush left with a horizontal spacing of 3 -- but the spacing on the left side of the image is much wider and the spacing on the right side (the type side) is much narrower.

Even if I remove the image, the left margin between the list of links and the text is way too wide.

This extra wide left margin carries over to the second announcement as well.

Can you figure out what's going on? What am I doing wrong?

Edited 07/10/10 1:39 AM
Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 8:04 AM - Response #1

Hi John,

I am not exactly sure what you mean. I can see the vertical image. I can see that you have a "hspace='4'" in the image. I also see you have two NonBlankSPace codes after the image. If this is what you are talking about then it seems like you are trying to add space around the image by using the space bar. This never works.

What I might suggest is to create a one row, two column table. Put the image in the first cell and all of your text in the 2nd cell. Turn off the cell borders. You can then change the first cell alignment to be align='center' and change the width of the cell to be 8 pixels more than the width of the vertical image. Then since the table cell is center aligned, it will be 4 pixels wide on the left of the image and 4 pixels wide on the right side.

Hope this helps you. If I didn't understand the problem, please rephrase your question.

Kyle

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM - Response #2

Kyle -- I tried the table method, but couldn't get it to do what I wanted. I went back to the straight text (announcement) with the text set to wrap around the image.

I think it looks OK now -- however, in Explorer, something is blowing out the width -- looks OK in Safari, Firefox and Chrome. What is causing that and why would this happen only with Explorer?

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM - Response #3

John,

If you use announcements, if ANY of the announcements are too wide, ALL of the announcements bump down to below the right-side modules.

To help you debug these types of situations, you can do the following.
1. Go to POST ANNOUNCEMENTS
2. Click on the VIEW button of each announcement. This will cause your home page to display WITH ONLY THAT ANNOUNCEMENT.
3. If the announcement appears in the normal spot and not below the right-side modules, this announcement is fine
4. Repeat step 2-4 until you find the first announcement that causes the vertical white space
5. Adjust the photos to be < the maximum widths
6. Repeat if necessary

In your exact case, it is "45th Reunion (Audio)" (announcement #2) and the photo is too wide. It is currently 400 width, the maximum is 398.

From the FAQs: http://www.classcreator.com/faqs.html
ANNOUNCEMENTS WITH NO BULLETS: Images and third party objects inserted into your Announcements area must be 398 pixels wide or smaller.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 10:28 AM - Response #4

Thanks again Kyle...

I fixed the width and it looks great.

Still curious why 3 browsers would display it OK, Explorer would not?

(Obviously a lesson to check all major browsers.)

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 10:50 AM - Response #5

They were written by different programmers who interpret the HTML display rules differently so the results would be different.

This is just my opinion.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM - Response #6

John,

I really love the layout you have on the home page of this friends site. I've been looking to make some changes to our site and I just love the look and feel that you have created. Superb content/layout!!!

You know, the really funny thing (I'm not laughing though) about your dilemma with IE and the other three browsers is that it is "usually" IE can figure things out and it will render what you want and all the others WON'T. I wonder--what version of IE you are using? I know that IE 8 still has problems and IE 6 was probably the best version out there.

Kyle--perhaps you would know the answer, if John is using IE 8 if using the "IF" command would've solved his problem with IE-8. (I haven't kept up on the use of the "IF" command--so maybe it no longer works for IE-8.)

I realize that his spacing was to wide, but given that IE wasn't/isn't rendering right...I'm just curious about using the "IF" command if John's problem still exists.

Edited 07/10/10 1:18 PM
Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM - Response #7

Sorry, I don't know about the "IF" command.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 9:30 PM - Response #8

Here is one such example that I've used:

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM - Response #9

I've never done that.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM - Response #10

Kyle,

As you can see that particular "IF" won't do anything with left margin spacing, and it may not work right with XHTML, but I used to have to use it about five or six years ago with some of the other browsers out there.

It was a great work around when validating different browsers that all "talked" in different languages.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM - Response #11

I am using IE 8.0 on Windows Vista

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 11:01 PM - Response #12

IE 8 with Vista? John you like living on the edge don't you?

Let me be the first to recommend Windows 7. Even though I've been a devout Apple user for the past three years, I did have a need to get a machine with Win7 and IE 7. MS still has a rather buggy IE 8, but Vista? All I can say is ArrowArrowYOU ARE BRAVE!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.