ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

staying logged in

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/12/12 11:28 PM Views: 1303 Replies: 7
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Had a request from an alum wanting to know if there is a way to log in and stay logged in. Not sure this is a good idea, but I think this alum is comparing this site to Facebook or other services that let this occur. Is this possible? Can it be enable on a per user basis (preferably by the user him/herself)?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM - Response #1

That's the way CC works now - if you check "Keep Me Logged In". I'm guessing you need to be more specific on exactly what you (alum) are doing to not make it behave this way.

For example, not saving cookies (or clearing) and then exiting a browser would make one log in again. That is a browser option.

Maybe they just don't want to check that box each time and then when they exit they have to log in againQuestion

Facebook has the same sort of "keep me logged in" option.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 12:25 AM - Response #2

Thanks - I should have checked that out by logging out and opening my eyes - didn't do either - thanks for the information. I'll see if that solves that alum's problem. I do recall that even though I check that box, sometimes after a few days, I'll have to login again - and I haven't touched my browser cookies in many months. Thanks

Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM - Response #3

Just a note: If you use google analytics (which I do VERY seldom, but it's there), this will skew the numbers. I know at first I kept myself as admin logged in and then I realized I was messing up the numbers, especially the average time of a visit.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM - Response #4

Many of my classmates do as I do, and simply have the site remember my email and password, so it then simply a one-click to get back on the site. Does your classmate not want to 'go to that trouble' Joe?

I am old school, i.e., I don't leave my computer running 24/7 or even all day. I turn it off when I am not using it. I don't leave my car running in the driveway when I'm not using it either, and I turn the lights off in a room when I leave it!
Again, I am 'old school' I guess! LOL

Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM - Response #5

About the google analytics. I think the only time that would skew the number is if you kept the browser class page open. If one close the page/tab or browser, then you can still be 'logged in' per cookie status, however, you are not really logged in electronically. In the latter cases, analytics will not see youCool

Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM - Response #6

There's a long time debate about leaving computer off or on. Using your car analogy, it's a fact that most of your engine wear occurs from starting and stopping your engine.
Computers are actually very similar.

The hardest thing on a disk drive is starting and stopping. One of the reliability stats for drives is how many times they can start/stop Similarly, power supplies don't like being stopped and started. There's an invisible 'surge' similar to the one that blows out old light bulbs.

The biggest issue for keeping it on all the time is just your wall power cleanliness (for desktops). I run all my systems on a UPS (Costco has a decent one for $80). If one lets a new system go to sleep, there's very little power used. Probably about $5 a year.

I've never seen a good study (since that would take a long time) that makes a factual case for either one. However, I can say that I've left my systems on for about 20 years now. And I also know people that turn it off/on for 20 years. Biggest problem is that sometimes they don't shut down correctly - and then I help themWink

I do recommend replacing disk drives every 3-5 years - very inexpensive today - since data loss is the main thing that would really be a problem for most people.

Friday, December 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM - Response #7

While these features in CC exist, they are no more reliable then other sites. FB has this ability but every time I need to access FB I have to reenter my login info. I am not an avid FBer and prefer not to use it at all but on occasion I do. What you do on your computer does effect how well you remain logged in. Just closing your browser may effect the status and cleaning the computer personally or with automated software will make login necessary often. My experience reveals this and not my education in computers. This happens to me often in CC.

Edited 12/14/12 2:03 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.