ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Message Replies all from ME?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/07/16 01:10 PM Views: 1065 Replies: 10
Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 1:10 PM

JacarandaIslander.com - I created a message in the Forum "Neighbors Dining Out" for members to sign up by replying and linked to a Home Page item. It looks as if the messages are being posted by me and at lease one person says they were taken to an Administrator Page. I've done the sign-up message many times before but this is a first. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:18 PM - Response #1

I can't see it here since your home page is effectively locked, but you may have linked to a page using the link address while viewing (or previewing) in Edit Site Pages.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 6:13 PM - Response #2

I've checked and re-linked, the home page. It takes the user to the correct Forum Message. However, when the non-admin user enters a reply it still has my photo and looks like the reply is coming from me.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM - Response #3

The link you are using includes a SESSION_ID field. This is YOUR session, meaning your logged in information. Since it is your session, classmates could have access to your admin functions (I am not sure, but possible).

https://www.classcreator.com/The-Village...ssages.cfm?tid=47072

I think it might work how you want it if you change the link to what is shown above.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:41 PM - Response #4

Apparently the members do get access to Admin functions as the Admin menu displays.

Here's what I do.
- create the Forum message or access a Member created Forum Message.

- Link to the Home page so users are taken to the Forum message and can reply to sign up for an event.

Now, when I sign in and access the link I'm taken to this page: "You have reached a restricted page of the
The Jacaranda Islander web site."

I've done this for years, what has changed within the past month or so to append the session id? And can it be corrected?

I deleted the "Session ID" part of the link but need help with this before before someone screws up the site.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 1:11 AM - Response #5

I think that when you got rid o the Session ID, it fixed the problem. To verify, add a test user (not an admin), and create a profile so you have an email address & password. Log out of your admin email account, log in to the test user. You will see that there are no admin functions.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 6:51 AM - Response #6

6:30am: I logged out as Admin and signed on as user. I do not get the Admin menu.

However, when I click on the home page link, https://www.classcreator.com/The-Villages-FL-Villages-1900/class_forums_messages.cfm?tid=47072, I am taken to this page “You have reached a restricted page of the The Jacaranda Islander web site.” Which has the linked URL, https://www.classcreator.com/The-Villages-FL-Villages-1900/class_forums_messages.cfm?tid=47072.

I logged out as user and log back in as admin, I get the Admin menu. But, when I click on the home page link, I am taken to the same “You have reached a restricted page….”.

This morning the URL for the Forum message has apparently changed from the one above to: https://www.classcreator.com/The-Villages-FL-Villages-1900/class_forums_messages.cfm?mid=255804&session_id=DB8E314F-ECF4-BBD7-B9606DB13FC48654#255804 Note the session id.
I made a test Home Page link using the new URL. Then logged out as admin and logged back in as user. Admin menus do not appear but as user I am taken to the same “Restricted Page” and asked to sign in.

I put up two new links, one test with the session id and one without if you would like to test.

Here is the procedure I use to create the Home Page Link:

1.   Edit Home Page and type in the Home Page Entry with the nomenclature I want linked to a Forum Message.
2.   Negotiate to the Forum Message.
3.   Copy the Link.
4.   Negotiate back to Edit Home Page and paste the copied link and save.

I have done this many times since I set the site up in 2010. This is the first time I’ve had any trouble with it.

Edited 06/08/16 7:03 AM
Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM - Response #7

I will have a programmer look at it.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 1:04 PM - Response #8

Okay. Sounds like the programmer made an adjustment. You Will likely need to log out and log in again.

Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 8:41 PM - Response #9

OK, seems to be working. I had to re-link some previous links to Forum entries but they seem to work now.

Thanks,

Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 8:56 PM - Response #10

Glad it is working.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.