ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Notify Me Daily Totals

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/09/16 04:49 AM Views: 4924 Replies: 11
Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Under Admin Functions, I click on Statistics, then Notify Me Statistics. In the Daily Totals at the bottom, what do the "Sent" and "View" totals mean? On 2-08-16 we show 17 Sent and 6 Views.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 11:08 AM - Response #1

These numbers reflect the number of Notify Me emails that have been generated from your site on a given day. These numbers are extremely low in comparison to other sites. However, I have noticed in the chart above those stats that your members have an unusually high rate of selecting the Never option for notifications, thus limiting your daily contact with your members. Most sites depend on that email to spur interactions with the members.

As for the views column... this is not an exact number. The way our tracking is currently working is that if a member were to open / view a given email 5 different times, the Views number will increase by 5. Most members do not view the messages more than once. This number serves as an indication that the notify me messages are being received and opened by members.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 11:19 AM - Response #2

Scott, thanks for the explanation. Can you answer this question:

What is the source for the 17 "Sent" emails? I update pages frequently, but the "Notify xxxx Classmates that this page has been updated" is unchecked, and on Feb. 8, I did not check the box for any updates. Also, on Feb. 8, the statistics show there were no emails sent between classmates. So, any idea where did these 17 "Sent" emails came from?

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 2:28 PM - Response #3

The source of the 17 messages could be any number of the notifications that are triggered for any member who is receiving Immediate or Once Daily notifications. I don't have the specifics though. The stat for messages sent between members are those that are direct messages via the Message Center or initiated from the profile. Those are not included in the Notify Me messages.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 3:18 PM - Response #4

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

These numbers are extremely low in comparison to other sites. . . your members have an unusually high rate of selecting the Never option for notifications"

Scott,

When a classmate gets annoyed by too many notifications and the choice is "Once a day" (still too often for some) or "Never," some take the Never option.

Is there any way you all might consider adding options for once a week and twice a month? It sure beats only having Never as their only option past once a day!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 3:25 PM - Response #5

We have discussed this in the past and have decided to not add these extended options. It actually adds significant complexity to an already complex system not only on the user end, but programmatically as well.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 4:20 PM - Response #6

Sorry to hear it's too complicated, it would have been really nice to have an option other than Never.

I would have thought that the same function that holds all the days messages and sends them once a day could be tweaked to hold all the messages and send them once a week.

Or whatever field within the existing programming that specifies send immediately or send "once a day" might permit the option for send "every 7 days"

I guess this is not the case?

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 4:27 PM - Response #7

I'll pass the idea along for conversation sake, but I suspect that it will not lead to a change in this particular case.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 6:39 PM - Response #8

Scott,

I've had way more classmates than I would like click the Never option, and I don't send out updates all that often.

I'm hoping it's as simple as adding an extra value to a "Send" look-up table.

Might even give them a blank and let them enter the number of days they would like as an update interval.

I appreciate your sending it back for reconsideration!

Thank you Very much!

P.S.

While they are looking at this function, is there any way they can also add the option to wait until morning to send out the Update Notifications? I tend to work late into the night and would like to click Notify Classmates, but if it's 3 am, when their cell phone announces an update, that might also be a factor in Never getting checked. (I try to wait and announce it the following day, but somethimes one slips by.)

I do appreciate your consideration.

Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 2:41 PM - Response #9

Scott, I am trying to use the statistics to determine who is, and how they are, using our website. Thanks for explaining the Notify Me Statistics Daily Totals. However, I have a question about the SENT column. You said that this is the number of notifications sent from our site on a given day. The answer is probably so simple I'll be embarrassed, but who is sending these notifications? My daily totals show some number of notifications sent almost every day. I can see the ones that I send every few weeks (100+) but I'm not aware that any notifications are going out other than my "bulk" ones. For example, on 10/29 and 10/30 I had no wifi so was not on my computer and did no work updating anything, so I didn't (even inadvertently) send out any notifications. But the Daily Totals chart shows 40 notifications went out on each of those days. Looking at usage statistics it seems that only 8 or so classmates were on the site during that time (I know, those are "rolling" numbers but I looked back at printed lists from 10/31 - oops, is that cheating?). What am I not understanding? Thanks for helping me understand this!

Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 4:24 PM - Response #10

Your members can choose, from the list of all classmates, which classmates they would like to follow. When any of those selected have a birthday, update their profile, or receive a comment on their profile, a notification goes out to the Classmates who are following them. Take a look at the Notify Me page to get a better idea of who gets notifications for the different options.

Wednesday, November 23, 2022 at 3:59 PM - Response #11

Thanks, Debbie. Got it! With this information I can better understand how we are communicating to the classmates. Knew it would be obvious. Thanks for showing me the way!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.