ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Dueling profiles

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/31/10 05:26 PM Views: 1119 Replies: 3
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 5:26 PM

We recently had a teacher who was confused when logged on because of some message like "you are logged on as a differant person" I am not sure what it said but I figured out that two profiles are the problem. Somewhere I remember reading that CC thought that Teachers should be able to have two profiles becuase they may want to speak to Students differant than Classmates. Some how this seems a little confusing. We are about to upload over 1,000 Teachers. Could you explain the thinking here and experiences?
Is there a way to merge the two?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 6:12 PM - Response #1

Well not exactly, it's not that we thought teachers should have 2 Profiles, rather we created a Teacher Profiles feature for the multi year sites here without taking into account what would happen if a Teacher used to be a Classmate. As a result Teachers who were also Classmates often started creating a Profile under each area.

How do you propose we solve it? We could add a checkbox to the bottom of Teacher Profiles that says this:

Click this box if you were a Classmate at .

And then if that box is clicked we would dynamically show a list of Class Years next:

"Select your year of graduation below:
"

With these two bits of information we could just list the individual's name in both the Teachers area and in the Classmates area.

Would that work? Or do you envision anything else we'd need to do in order to have 1 Profile serve all purposes?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 6:23 PM - Response #2

Well, now that I just entered that, the possible problems start coming to mind:

1) What if the Admin has customized Teacher Profiles and Classmate Profiles. And they are very different. If the person joins as a teacher they wouldn't get to answer all of the questions that Classmates answer. Or vice versa.

2) How would the individual know they should only join as a teacher, and not a Classmate? Most likely they'd first join as a Classmate. Assuming most Classmates did not go on to become teachers at the same school, I don't think we should put a "click here if you were also a teacher" question on Classmate Profiles. I think it needs to be on the Teacher Profiles instead.

I guess what we'd have to do is add a checkbox for ADMINS when they enter teachers that states:

Check this box if this teacher was also a Classmate at

If the Admin has pre-specified this, then we could allow the teacher to join the site from either the Teachers area, or the Classmates area. It would no longer matter.

So the final question is which Profile do we let them fill out, the Classmate Profile or the Teacher Profile? Or, actually, how about let them fill out both? Each Profile could come up in the respective part of the system it belongs to, but the teacher would only have to maintain 1 account and login, which makes a whole lot more sense than maintaining 2. RIGHT?

Don't you love it when I think out loud Ray? It seems to me this would be the perfect solution to correct the two account "clunkiness" we have going on right now. Is there anything else you think we should add as we tie this together?

Edited 03/31/10 6:28 PM
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 8:33 PM - Response #3

Brad,
If you need anymore help let me know.
ray

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.