ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Send out auto Birthday wishes from site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/11/17 05:25 PM Views: 1034 Replies: 14
Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Is there a way to send out "automatic" Birthday wishes to our "registered" classmates on the site? I know the info is being gathered for the UPCOMING BIRTHDAYS bar on our homepage - but I haven't seen anything about sending out an "automatic" email to those classmates.
It would be nice if we could -

1) The administrator could set up a "standard" email greeting to wish a Happy Birthday and could include encouraging words to keep them visiting the site. (perhaps in EMAIL CLASS area or PREFERENCES)
2) This auto email would include a slot to be auto-filled by the site info and insert the recipient's FIRST NAME and would be auto-sent out on their Birthday by CLASS CREATOR.

Or am I asking too much?

Tom Collier
Newton High School Class of '68

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 6:44 PM - Response #1

So far, never got traction. There is a large interest in this 'feature' though. If you search the past messages for "automatic birthday" using "all words" not exact. You should find the past topic.

Here's the LINK to the last month request.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 7:33 AM - Response #2

Auto generated Birthday greeting would be awesome! Until that happens, we have a classmate "birthday Greeter" wishing every classmate a Happy Birthday on the correct date - the birthday post appears on our Message Forum.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 1:55 PM - Response #3

Over the years, we have discussed this topic and have always felt that an automated birthday email feels just that... automated. Notify Me does send a message to all who wish to be notified of birth dates giving them an opportunity to log in and write a personalized message / birthday wish.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM - Response #4

I do exactly this through a Constant Contact account which is synced with our ClassCreator website. It takes a small amount of manual work, but then is automated to distribute the greetings on their birthdays.

I, personally, would love the ability to customize the greeting within ClassCreator and have it automated through the website.

Sounds like I may need to keep doing it my way for a while.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 2:32 PM - Response #5

I have always sent an email to all classmates with a picture of the birthday boy/girl including instructions on how to send a birthday greeting the day before the actual date and it has worked well. Yes it takes a little effort, however, it is well received and keeps us in touch.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 2:54 PM - Response #6

Been trying to get this done since i joined....,

Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 12:12 PM - Response #7

Scott, there is obviously a good deal of interest in having this feature. If the reason for not doing it is that you think it would appear to be "automated", why not let your customers make that decision? As individual admins, I think we are better able to make that judgement.
Thank you.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM - Response #8

I agree. We currently send out Birthday emails using Email-The-Class (to individuals), containing text and a picture or cartoon that is updated fairly often, and personalized using the $first_name$ variable. People have come to expect it, and we've had a lot of positive feedback. We do have a couple members who turned the Email The Class notify option off, but we just send a test to ourselves, and then forward that to the classmate.

This works, but we have occasionally missed one if we're busy, on vacation, or simply miss someone's birthday who's chosen to not let it display in the Birthday's right-side module. An automated process would be greatly appreciated.

The system offers a similar function in the Preference option to send out notify emails for those who haven't updated their profile in six months. We control the contents and whether or not we want to turn it on. That preference option could easily be duplicated using a test for birthday date rather than a test for profile update date.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 11:01 PM - Response #9

I used to send a private message* to members when they had a birthday, but as time goes on, I find myself getting more involved in volunteer work, and simply do not have the time to set down at the computer and send the greetings.

I have expressed it before, and I still feel that it would be nice to have a 'canned' greeting that could be sent in a private message automatically to those who have a birthday.

*-same humorous** BD greeting went to everyone during a calendar year - and it was changed January 1.

**-we need more humor in our lives - too much unpleasant things on the news and in the world as a whole! Very Happy

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 8:06 PM - Response #10

I'm throwing my hat in the ring on this one. Would be nice to have this automated. I send out a manual Birthday Wishes along with a Youtube Video with a Birthday wishes song which changes for every person.

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:02 PM - Response #11

With the various comments, any chance you may reconsider this feature?!

Monday, June 5, 2017 at 3:43 PM - Response #12

I know this has been discussed internally but I do not believe it is an active project at this time.

Friday, June 23, 2017 at 7:23 PM - Response #13

Perhaps I am missing something but under "Notify me", I cannot find anything about birth dates. Am I missing something or is this no longer available.

Thanks,
Bob Brey

Friday, June 23, 2017 at 9:29 PM - Response #14

Go to Notify Me, page down to see who you're subscribed to, and choose (at the bottom) if you want a birthday notify sent.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.