ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Rose Icon on IN Memory Page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/25/09 10:59 AM Views: 1559 Replies: 7
Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I noticied this new feature and thought it was showing who had obits or information in their memorial but I think it is also showing up for people who have a classmate comment. Can you let us know how it works and but an explanation key on the page.

IT may be good to show if is has an obit AND if it has a message posted with differnt icons.

Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM - Response #1

We'll add the key at the top of the page, yes.

The rose icons just means that there is content. It has the same meaning on the Classmate Profiles page. Content constitutes either a post from the Admin, or comment entered by a Classmate. The primary reason for the rose is that on many sites where there is no info known, deeased Classmates are often just left to totally blank. Which is a little frustrating for users, because they can click on name after name only to find absoltuely nothing to read. So the rose simply helps guide readers to where content exists, whether that content is an Admin post or a user comment. We'll later be adding a "Subscribe to In Memory" feature so people can keep up to date with comments that are being added over time.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM - Response #2

Hi Brad,

I really like the Rose Icon, and think it works beautifully on the Classmates List. I've just noticed that they have also been recently added to each name on the "In Memory" page, which to me seems kind of redundant. I really liked the quiet simplicity of the page, without the roses and flags, (I have added flags to appropriate obits) I wonder if this could be set up so the administrator has the option to remove the roses from the In Memory page?

Thanks Brad! All the hard work you do to make the site better is very much appreciated!

Ruth

Saturday, August 1, 2009 at 4:13 PM - Response #3

We have a whole batch of updates grouped together for the In Memory area, we can look at this. The rose was added because without it there's no indication for the viewer where to find content. That may not be the case on your own site, but on many sites there are a mix of deceased Classmates with and without any content. It's frustating for people to blindly click on names only to find there's nothing whatsoever there to read. The rose in a sense tells people where NOT to click. Just a little usability thing that many people wanted. But I've also come to realize there's no pleasing 100% of the people 100% of the time. Although that probably doesn't stop us from trying.

Edited 08/01/09 4:14 PM
Saturday, August 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM - Response #4

Brad, you're doing a GREAT job....and I get it now. We wrote something for each person on the page...so that's a lotta roses! I understand that if some posts didn't have anything to see, when the link is followed, it would be disappointing. Our "In Memory" page has become quite a big deal for us...one of our alumni was able to find for an obit after extensive research at the library for all but two. I'll just have to get used to the new look. Your hard work is very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, August 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM - Response #5

Heh, it's all good. Thank you. This is why the word optional was invented.

Friday, August 7, 2009 at 8:37 PM - Response #6

I put a notation in every one of our classmates that have passed. I did not want one of them to be missing a rose.

Friday, August 7, 2009 at 10:10 PM - Response #7

We especially like the rose. When the class graduated someone made plaques with a single red rose. Since then the single red rose has been a symbol of the class. When a classmate passes a single red rose is sent with the class of '73 attached to the vase. And if a classmate has surgery or is has serious health issues a card is sent with a sigle red rose on the cover.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.