ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Facebook Beta Testers Needed

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/24/13 05:32 PM Views: 1812 Replies: 41
Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM

We've received many (and I mean many) comments and questions about the upcoming Facebook application (named Class Connection). Some are eager with anticipation, others more reserved. No worries -- no matter what your goals are Class Creator and the Class Connection application will accommodate. And remember: The app is voluntary -- it's something you can use if you wish.

A quick point of clarification as this question is coming up regularly: You have only 1 set of class data. There is no difference between Class Creator and Class Connection in terms of content. I.E. you're not running two different things. Imagine both things as doorways to your class data. It doesn't matter if you come in via your own domain name or come in via the Class Connection Facebook application -- you're accessing the same data set either way. There is only one place, and that's your class.

Also, I want to make one point very clear: You're not using Facebook itself. The app is able to communicate with tools Facebook provides, yes. But the app and 100% of the programming are made right here. So while you're in the Facebook interface, you're in this world. The functionality is programmed by us as directed by you. That's the way it will continue. You will shape the app world the same as you've shaped the Class Creator world.

So... This app is looking pretty good if I must say so myself (which I just did!). There's still plenty of work left to be done though. We're looking at entering a beta period in roughly 5 weeks.

It would be helpful for us to get two different types of testers into the app. We'll call them "pre beta" and "beta".

Pre-Beta: You can go into the app at this time using a copy of the database made about 3 months ago. Thus everything you do on the app will be updating an old, non-live version of your web site. You can do anything you want and break anything you want, as nothing you do will have any impact on your real, live class web site. We're in rapid development right now so expect things to break. I promise you, they will. Smile

Beta: When we go into our official beta you'll be working with your live site, which means anything you do on the app will be affecting your real class web site. Bear in mind this is a beta and there can and will be issues, like errors. If you're a beta tester your job will be to report any errors, omissions, and suggest improvements. I'm not sure how long the beta period will last (as long as necessary) -- then we'll open up the gates to everyone.

With that, if you would like to be a pre-beta tester or a beta tester, simply respond below with "pre-beta" or "beta".

Thanks in advance to all those who volunteer! The new Class Connection app will provide some exciting new opportunities for your class, and we look forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions.

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM - Response #1

I'd like to mess with pre-beta. Then I might do beta also.

Denise

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM - Response #2

Pre beta or beta - where ever I can help the most. As always, you guys are awesome! Smile

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM - Response #3

I'll go pre beta...Like Richard said, you guys are awesome!!! Bonita

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM - Response #4

Count MHS class of 88 in! Ill test pre beta or beta!
Excited to see it work!

~Raquel

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM - Response #5

Let me know where you need or want me to be... "pre-beta" or "beta".
Thanks!

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM - Response #6

Question(s): We have one admin who wants us to have nothing to do with FB, whatsoever. In pre beta, who will be seeing the website & interface? Just me? All our admins? Anyone on our website who wants to go that way - probably not, if it's old data? Anybody on FB?

I'd love to try both, but I don't understand how it works and who would know, especially in real beta.

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM - Response #7

I would like to be a beta tester.
Dave

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM - Response #8

Pre-Beta / Beta reporting for duty Sir! I will shake out the bugs in a test orbital run.

-Mike

Laughing

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM - Response #9

I'd be up for pre-beta or beta tester whatever you need

Edited 06/24/13 6:18 PM
Monday, June 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM - Response #10

Pre-beta is my preference.

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 6:43 PM - Response #11

I would like to be a beta tester. Thanks.

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM - Response #12

I would like to be a beta tester.

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM - Response #13

Being an Old programmer/systems engineer/database builder myself, I'd love to help out as a pre-beta tester.

Steve

Edited 06/24/13 7:40 PM
Monday, June 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM - Response #14

I'd like to do beta! Go for broke! Anne

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM - Response #15

Hi Brad,

I'd be willing to be a beta tester for you.

Dave Very Happy

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM - Response #16

I'm in, wherever needed!
Pre-Beta, Beta, or both!

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM - Response #17

Pre beta sounds good to me. Thanks for working so diligently on the project.

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM - Response #18

I'd like to be in the pre-beta batch or beta. Makes no difference. Given most of our class is using FB, this could be a win-win.

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM - Response #19

I would like to be a “Pre-Beta”.

I believe I could get use to living in a “non-live” world and having the possibility of being able to “break anything I want” is irresistible.

Sign …CAV… up for pre-beta status!

Oh, one little-small question: What is an "app"?

Kudos
...CAV...

Monday, June 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM - Response #20

Given the details provided in the opening message of this thread and then talking it over more with my fellow site administrators and committee members, we, as a group, have decided to positively and enthusiastically pursue this endeavor.

So please enable our site to actively participate in both the pre and beta testing.

Edited 06/24/13 11:40 PM
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 6:34 AM - Response #21

We will try the pre-beta mode and see how it goes!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM - Response #22

Hey Brad
I'd be a beta tester for you.

Scott Miller
www.gbhs1975.com

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM - Response #23

I would like to do Pre-Beta and Then do Beta.

Edited 06/25/13 2:23 PM
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM - Response #24

I'm willing to work "Pre-D=Beta"; then possibly "Beta" if I don't get too frustrated with the Pre-Beta!!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM - Response #25

Add me, if needed, to the pre-beta and then beta, both sites if needed or if just one, the class of 1981. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM - Response #26

Mary Smith - SPHSAA President & Alumni Records wrote:

Question(s): We have one admin who wants us to have nothing to do with FB, whatsoever. In pre beta, who will be seeing the website & interface? Just me? All our admins? Anyone on our website who wants to go that way - probably not, if it's old data? Anybody on FB?

I'd love to try both, but I don't understand how it works and who would know, especially in real beta.

In pre beta only you. Or any other admins who want to participate in the pre-beta. Yes again it's old data. The only point of pre-beta is to get a feel for how things work and for you to help us fix problems and shape the app. Nobody on Facebook can see the app or anything in the database copy that includes your site unless we specifically add them as an app tester (an app tester is a function provided natively by Facebook).

Bottom line: Pre-beta is only seen by those who specifically offer themselves up, and nothing you or any other pre-beta testers do will have any impact on your live site.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM - Response #27

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far! Goal is to get pre-beta testers in this coming week. I will contact all pre-beta testers privately to get you linked up with the app. Stay tuned.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM - Response #28

Although I'm an idiot, and can't even figure out how to reply correctly in this forum, I still want to help. Beta or Pre-beta, wherever you need me. I'm kidding about being an idiot, but my wife still thinks so. Smile

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM - Response #29

I would like to be Beta. I do software beta testing as part of my full time job. What's another beta software to help my favorite group, Class Creator.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM - Response #30

I will volunteer for pre-beta. If I get the hang of that I can move on to beta!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM - Response #31

Love to do pre-beta because I'm so curious as to how the "connection" works (but not sure how much help I'll be). However, since I'm still learning & it's so close to our reunion, I'll pass on the Beta. Thanks.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM - Response #32

Willing to give anything a whirl. Pre-beta might be best, but wherever you need bodies or rather computers.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM - Response #33

Sign me up for PRE BETA on both of my websites.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM - Response #34

I'm in for pre-beta on one or all three of my sites. Then beta after on one or all. Yes, this is a second post. Smile

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM - Response #35

FYI multi year sites won't be accommodated at launch. Shortly thereafter we will move to allow multi year root admins to assign individual class year admins within a whole school.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM - Response #36

Got it. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM - Response #37

Pre-beta

Monday, July 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM - Response #38

Brad...I signed up for beta, but if you need any more pre-beta I can help there too. Let me know.

dave

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 2:51 AM - Response #39

Just curious. How will admins know they are participating or going to participate in the testing? (Ex: Will a private message be sent to them and / or additional items added to their website(s)?)

Also. So this will be like a "preview" mode that only the chosen participants can see, similar to when a television station uses the "preview" mode when preparing a video segment (such as during a newscast) before switching to "on air" mode? (They can see the video in the control room but the viewers cannot.) We will have the opportunity to try out certain features and let you know what we like or dislike and why while also offering suggestions to improve the proposed integration product?

Edited 07/02/13 3:07 AM
Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM - Response #40

Precisely. The pre-beta is using a copy of the database from roughly 3 months ago, thus during this period nothing you do will actually impact your live site. This is 100% for debugging and recommendations to improve the product prior to the beta. In beta we will connect to the live database thus changes you make on the app will also affect your live web site and vice versa.

At this time we can go ahead and link up the pre beta volunteers. I've figured out that the best way to do this, rather than each person friending me on Facebook, is for each pre beta tester to send me their personal Facebook numeric ID. The best way to do this is simply log into Facebook and view your own timeline. Copy the web address of your timeline. For example, mine is: https://www.facebook.com/bradswitz

Next go to this link: http://findmyfacebookid.com/

Finally click the Contact link above and send in your Facebook numeric ID. As they come in we'll get each person linked up to the pre beta. I'll start another thread with a copy of these instructions for the purpose of gathering up comments and suggestions from the pre-beta testers.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM - Response #41

Cut a couple of quick walkthrough videos this morning for our pre-beta testers:

Play Video 1

Play Video 2

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.