ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Helping Hand for Yearbook Photos

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/22/18 09:39 PM Views: 554 Replies: 8
Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 9:39 PM

Has anyone used Class Creator's services to upload photos and to match them to the profiles? If so, how did this work, and was the cost worth it?

Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 10:02 PM - Response #1

I haven't used Class Creator's services to upload photos and to match them to the profiles. Sounds interesting and the cost sounds reasonable at $.65 per photo (click on Helping Hand at the top of this page for details). Alternatively, you could buy an excellent scanner for the price it would cost for your class size. I've used the Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner to scan about 1500 photos on our site.

After scanning the photos, I crop them using the superb cropping tool found in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, built in to Windows 10. To crop a photo using it, click on Picture, then Crop.

Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 10:24 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Scott. I used a more primitive method that worked to capture individual photos. My colleague is looking for a "mass upload" to match the photos to the uploaded class list. That's why I posed the question.

Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 10:27 PM - Response #3

.65 X 800 pictures is more than my colleague wanted to spend on his own.

Monday, July 23, 2018 at 12:22 AM - Response #4

I sympathize with the cost. Depends on how much time you all have to scan and match photos or if you want Class Creator to do it for you.

If you decide to do your own scanning, I can't say enough good things about the Epson Perfection V500 photo scanner, which has now been replaced by a newer version, the Epson Perfection V600 photo scanner, retailing for $210 at Office Depot. You can set it to the Professional Mode and adjust the settings to get superb scans. Also scans slides.

Edited 07/23/18 12:56 AM
Monday, July 23, 2018 at 9:38 AM - Response #5

Thanks for starting this thread, Paul. Have you asked your classmates to see if anyone has scanned photos professionally (or not) via an email to the class? You may find someone to volunteer and then all you need to do is to upload the photos. I understand that uploading 800 is not anyone's idea of a good time, yet done in 200-300 at a time, it is not that bad.

If that fails, your classmates know you tried and the next step would be to ask for donations to get it done. Let us know what worked for you.

Scott Moore, while I have not tried CC's scanning services, I have an Epson scanner on my wish list. It is the Epson FastFoto FF-640. I do not know if this model has the professional settings, yet it scans front and back of photos, which is key for the hundreds/thousands of personal photos I have to scan. Last time I checked, the price was $600+... the reason it remains on my wish list.

Monday, July 23, 2018 at 12:34 PM - Response #6

Hi Paul,

I did this manually using a free photo editing software. Since we have a class size of 614, it took me several months!! I started with scanned images of the yearbook pages that had our classmates portraits on. Then I matched that to the uploaded (from an EXCEL spreadsheet) Class list. A few classmates did not have portrait photos (some were ill during the photo session and a couple did not graduate until January of our Class year). So I did a cut paste and edit of each portrait photos (from another classmate) I had. The Class Reunion Committee did not want to spend the money to have Class Creator do the work. I bet they could have done it quicker and the result may have been better as the photo editing tool inside Class Creator is not as robust as others I have seen.
Hope this helps

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 5:10 PM - Response #7

I have used the Epson Expression 11000Xl scanner for our high school web sites (seven sites)
I use the iMAC for scanning over 70,000 senior photos. The iMac does a good job at targeting the individual senior photos on a page. Some pages have to be manually framed, but the iMac does a pretty good job.

I have also learned to scan full pages for Juniors and Sophomores and Freshmen, since they may not have a senior photo, I can go back a year or two to post a photo.
Last, I scan pages of interest such as sports, cheerleaders, clubs etc and post them into a gallery for that class year. Good to show at a reunion as a slide show.
Remember, many classmasts (by the 50th reunion) have lost their year books and would like to see the photos.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 6:11 PM - Response #8

Hi Jim,

Oddly enough, there was no interest in my High School class for a copy of their yearbook. Most still had their yearbook after 50 years!! That's of a class of 614. You can also purchase a copy at Classmates.com. No Portraits were created for Juniors, Sophomores and Freshman in our Senior Yearbook. Since I have prior copies of our HS it is possible to do that by graduation year, however we do not merge classes together yet.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.