ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Unable to upload PDFs

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/28/16 11:07 AM Views: 1510 Replies: 14
Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:07 AM

The current version of Class Creator that I am using at nehi1962.com does not provide the links necessary for uploading PDF files. Nor is there a separate folder in File Vault for documents, only image folders.

There also is no "globe" link icon on the current edit panel, as I have seen called out in other forum discussions. Only the "chain" link icon.

I am webmaster for two other NeHi websites (NeHi1965.com, NeHi 1964.com). While I was building them, both had the option to upload PDFs. Checking back at both sites, that option is now gone.

What's up with that?Sad

Edited 05/28/16 11:08 AM
Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM - Response #1

Link for file vault is still the same in the Editor. Second row, 3rd from the right. Use browse/upload or the File Vault option to upload PDFs.

There is a NEW FILE manager for the File Vault - looks different - and there you use "upload" or to put a PDF in the File vault. This new manager is a much needed upgrade.

Folder names are up to the user. You can create one to hold just PDF file. Right Click on the top File folder and pick "New Subfolder".

Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM - Response #2

Using the "File Vault" button in the chain link icon's screen will take you to the File Vault - which is really for pdf's and files other than images. It also, by the way, lets you open the Image vault once you're there.

It's still a little confusing since clicking on the editor's "Image" button (top row, second from the left) also says "File Vault" on the button - even though it really opens a view of the Image Vault.

Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM - Response #3

In the version of Class Creator I am using (most up-to-date), there is no way to upload PDFs. Not in File Vault nor on the edit panel for any given page.

BTW, I'm an expert with Class Creator, since to date I have built 2 websites from scratch and working on a third at present.Confused

Edited 05/28/16 1:03 PM
Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 1:01 PM - Response #4

John, you can upload there too (when it shows the contents of the file vault). In fact, it's easier if you have multiple Uploads or Deletes. (Was that way before too.)

In a single step you can now upload or delete multiple files. YEAY!!

Hold the CTRL Key down and click on the images when deleting. When selecting files from a system, same thing - press CTRL+Left click in the Open Dialog. Mac is slightly different I think, but I forget. Mac person can chime in here.

FWIW - a few years ago, both File and Image folders could be accessed, but 'somebody' at CC disabled that for some odd reason.

John Ralph wrote:

It's still a little confusing since clicking on the editor's "Image" button (top row, second from the left) also says "File Vault" on the button - even though it really opens a view of the Image Vault.

Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 1:06 PM - Response #5

The "chain" link icon you noted earlier is used to upload PDF files. There never has been any other way to upload a PDF.

(What "globe" are you referring to?)

There is no specific "PDF" notation, File vault accepts just about any type of file, including images. The latter is handy actually for Responsive Design since the Image reduced sizes before (I'm assuming it still does.)

Frank Webmaster wrote:

In the version of Class Creator I am using (most up-to-date), there is no way to upload PDFs. Not in File Vault nor on the edit panel for any given page.Confused

Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 10:11 PM - Response #6

Frank Webmaster wrote:

In the version of Class Creator I am using (most up-to-date), there is no way to upload PDFs. Not in File Vault nor on the edit panel for any given page.

BTW, I'm an expert with Class Creator, since to date I have built 2 websites from scratch and working on a third at present.Confused

Frank,
Perhaps this is not as intuitive on a Mac as it is on a PC. Here's how it works for us:

1. Edit any page and click on the chain link icon
2. Click on the File Vault button
3. Click on either the "Upload" tab at the top, or the orange Add Files button at the top right.
4. In the new window that opens, navigate to where the file (or files) you want to upload are on your PC.
5. You can double click on a single file, or hold CTRL and click on multiple files and then click open.
6. Selected file or files are automatically uploaded to the file vault.

Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 8:05 AM - Response #7

I certainly appreciate your input, John, but the problem is with Class Creator, not my specific skills on a computer or with the necessary machinations of uploading files.

This specific problem needs to be addressed by a Class Creator staff member who is knowledgeable about the upgrades to the system and who is cognizant of how those upgrades affect the various operating systems (as you suggested, Macs and PCs).

BestWink

PS: Just so you know, I am a pro web developer and have been in the computer & electronics technology field since 1979.

Edited 05/29/16 8:08 AM
Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 9:49 AM - Response #8

Viking Geek,

Please give us the details about your system (PC/Mac & which browser(s) you are using) and we will have the programmers check it out. There might be something we can do to fix it. Have you tried it in other browsers to see if it is browser specific?

If the new "CKFinder" doesn't work for you, you can revert back to the "CKEditor" from the PREFERENCES page. Just search for "File Vault" on the Preferences page and you will see the option to switch back.

About the "Globe" option, I am not sure how long it has been gone, but it is the same as the "Chain Link" (3rd from the right on the 2nd row of icons). This has always been the place to upload a PDF file.

Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 10:59 AM - Response #9

Kyle:

Discovered since starting this discussion (as Viking Geek) that the storage capacity of this particular website was lower than I expected. Have asked the root to up the capacity to compensate for a very large PDF file (yearbook complete). My attempt to upload a smaller PDF file worked just fine, but there still is no "globe" link present on the edit panel, so I used the "chain" link successfully.

I'm using an older Mac with OS X 10.7.5, but I've never had this problem before (missing link icons on edit panel/File Vault). I've already built/am building and still maintain three Class Creator websites (nehi1965.com, nehi1964.com, nehi1962.com) and didn't have any problems uploading large PDFs, since both had sufficient storage capacity. The "missing link" roblem occurs with both Firefox and Chrome.

I've reviewed our Preferences page in both Firefox and Chrome, and don't see any option to change back to the old CK editor. When I attempted to login with Safari, I got a browser error message that read: Safari can’t open the page “https://www.classcreator.com/St-Petersburg-Florida-Northeast-1962/member_login.cfm” because Safari can’t establish a secure connection to the server “www.classcreator.com.

I appreciate all your help, Kyle!
Frank Clark

Edited 05/29/16 11:04 AM
Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 12:09 PM - Response #10

Frank,

When I log in as you, I can see this section in PREFERENCES. Are you saying you can't see it?
EDITOR FILE VAULT OPTIONS

Within the editor is a "File Vault" feature, containing all existing uploaded images. Here you can select whether to display their thumbnails when browsing.

[ ]   Do NOT Show Thumbnails
[ X ]   Show Thumbnails (note: the File Vault often takes longer to load when selected)

Frank, when you go to the File Vault, the left side of the frame will display different folders. PDF files are in the folder called "Files". You have one PDF file there, called "jr-class001.pdf", uploaded today. You can create different folders under the "Files" folder for your PDF files, but PDF files can not be uploaded to the "Images" directory.

Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 1:16 PM - Response #11

Quote:

Discovered since starting this discussion (as Viking Geek) that the storage capacity of this particular website was lower than I expected. Have asked the root to up the capacity to compensate for a very large PDF file (yearbook complete). My attempt to upload a smaller PDF file worked just fine, but there still is no "globe" link present on the edit panel, so I used the "chain" link successfully.

Quote:

I've reviewed our Preferences page in both Firefox and Chrome, and don't see any option to change back to the old CK editor.

Don't know that I need to revert to the old CK editor anymore, however, there is still a problem on the Preferences page for choosing the option to revert back to the earlier style CK page editor. I've resolved the issue with uploading PDFs per your and others instructions.

Just waiting for root administrator to up the storage capacity, so I can deal with the yearbook upload.

Thnaks for your help, Kyle!Laughing

Frank

Edited 05/29/16 1:18 PM
Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 2:35 PM - Response #12

FYI there is no such option. Did somebody forget to addQuestionQuestion

Edit: Ah, I see now, the option is totally mislabeled. Repost below

Kyle Erickson wrote:

If the new "CKFinder" doesn't work for you, you can revert back to the "CKEditor" from the PREFERENCES page. Just search for "File Vault" on the Preferences page and you will see the option to switch back.

Edited 05/29/16 2:46 PM
Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 2:43 PM - Response #13

It's not browser option however, what Kyle stated for Preferences is also not true. There is nothing there. (see Edit, it is but not as implied)

Edit: Option is just named incorrectly, explained in next post - although below can enable you to have either one if you like Idea

If you still want to use to old file browser, here's the link you need ( you need to change the site URL as appropriate - this is for http://www.nehi1965.com/

You do not have to be in the CC editor for this to work. All it does is upload and delete though. Probably simpler to use the New system, but here it is anyway

http://www.nehi1965.com//fckeditor_4.3.0/filebrowse/browser.cfm?imagemaxw=646&Connector=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bothellhigh61.com%2Ffckeditor_4.3.0%2Ffileupload%2Fconnector.cfm&Type=File&CKEditor=edithtml&CKEditorFuncNum=1&langCode=en

I obviously can't test for your site but should work as it does for our site (with different base URL)

Frank W. Walters wrote:

I've reviewed our Preferences page in both Firefox and Chrome, and don't see any option to change back to the old CK editor.

Edited 05/29/16 2:56 PM
Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 2:53 PM - Response #14

OK - what CC thinks is clear is totally unclear since the NEW file handler has options to show thumbnails or not. I thought that the Preference option to show thumbnails had to do as an initial default for the NEW file handler.

Actually what it really represents is an option to use the OLD file handler/Editor.

PLEASE change the terminology on that option CC. You just need a single simple Option that says:

[ ] Use old Editor and File system.

or if you want to match your current default, this, but it's not quite as clear Evil or Very Mad

[ ] Use New Editor and File system

That clears that up Wink

Edited 05/29/16 2:57 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.