ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Page Elements Order

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/04/13 06:47 PM Views: 984 Replies: 4
Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Is there anyone who has tried both announcements before pages and pages before announcements and who has a strong opinion about the pluses and minuses of both ways?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM - Response #1

I have some experience with this in a professional setting so I do have some strong opinions. I believe the announcement feature on the homepage should be saved for important news only. That way when it is used, it will grab the attention of your visiters. Otherswise it becomes kind of ho-hum. I also believe that your homepage should be changed as often as possible to keep up interest. At the same time, your home page should work like the front page of a newspaper. Your headlines and only a portion of the story are on the homepage, and the rest of the story on pages within your site. This keeps your visitors on the site longer, and also doesn't force your visitors to wade through a lot of text before seeing your other pages. It forces them to go deeper into your website and then becomes easier to see what interests them. More pictures, less text. Websites are meant to be visual, and a picture is worth a thousand words. (Gee I wish I had said that.) Smile
Most importantly, know your audience and attempt to reach them with their interests. You will find that your gut feelings about what belongs and what doesn't will serve you well, and it's different for everyone and every class.

Edited 06/04/13 10:03 PM
Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM - Response #2

Tim,
I don't often post a reply in this forum unless I can offer something, but in this case I will make an exception:

You make some very valid points, and I plan on following them!
Thanks for sharing!

Monday, June 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM - Response #3

Thank you. Excellent counsel. It's one of those "I should have know that" issues.Embarassed

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM - Response #4

You may think you should have known, but you would be surprised to find that there are people with degrees in marketing that don't have a clue about what I just told you. I know because my job was to help them make their websites more effective, and they would give me blank stares when I would explain to them the same things. You are already ahead of them simply because you asked the question.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.