domain name registration spam/scam

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/28/11 12:09 PM Views: 4390 Replies: 5
Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM

This "sender" "notice registration expeiration" with the return addd of
rohinimullis@earnathomesources.com
sent the following e-mail titled" Re:attentionBradford75.com

Attn Bradford High School Class of 1975:
This solicitation is to inform you that it's time to send in your registration for BRADFORD75.COM. DRS is a submission service and search engine ranking firm.
Failure to complete your registration by Sep 12, 2011 may result in the cancellation of this offer.
Your registration includes search engine submission for BRADFORD75.COM for 1 year. You are under no obligation to pay the amount stated above unless you accept this offer by Sep 12, 2011. It is a courtesy reminder to register BRADFORD75.COM for search engine listing so that your customers can locate you on the web.
This Offer for BRADFORD75.COM will expire on Sep 12, 2011. Act Now!

It was in our SPAM file. Is it on your scammers list?
The e-mail looks quite "official" , promising "secure online payment" for $75/yr, encouraging an "easy" elecrtronic subscription update.Others may not be aware of it's bogus nature. Please pass the word along.

Thanks so much! You guys are the greatest and I am certain our domain name is secure with Classnames. Thanks again.

Edited 09/24/11 4:09 PM
Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM - Response #1

SCAM!!! Run away as fast as you can.

DRS is Domain Registry Service and they charge way too much.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 3:21 PM - Response #2

Kris,
I got this warning when reading the email from the forums"

McAfee SiteAdvisor Warning
This e-mail message contains potentially unsafe links to these sites:
earnathomesources.com

Another reason to run, and fast! Smile

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM - Response #3

I THINK CC should provide any one that has Subscription Status: Platinum Member with a free domain name registration.IdeaRolling EyesWinkExclamationLaughingIdeaIdea

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM - Response #4

Thanks, gentlemen!
I never opened any of the links, and it was caught in our Mac's SPAM folder, thankfully. In the past, I may have opened it up, but thanks to all the helps and warnings on these forums, I decided to pass along this in case others may have been sent a similar e-mail!
The newest/or recently "successful"/identity theft "phishing" scam is apparently to mimic the icon for security sites such as MacAfee,etc and have you click on the link, saying that "viruses" are detected,etc. These fake icons are indeed fake but look authentic! Once you click on the "fake icon", it's too late, and it creates numerous headaches and can ruin a good mood or day!
I am a slow learner, but am trying to be proactive to the best of my ability in this cyber-world of wonders!Cool
Thanks again for reaffirming my suspicions. You are all D Best!
Thanks for the confirmation also!

p.s. A new form of "link" sent to e-mails, resembling Facebook,or other icons, asking you to click on the links to "connect" is a favorite way for hackers to access your computer,etc, It is advised to always "log out" of your e-mail, then "log in" from the original site page. It seems the hackers have created a way to "think forward" and catch us in a weak moment or unaware. Thanks to all the "heads-up" from the forums for the help to "stay safer" on this journey thru cyberspace!

Edited 08/29/11 12:46 AM
Monday, August 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM - Response #5

I wonder if there are more sites being hit by this. I haven't received a notice but that doesn't count my sites out.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.