ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Siote usability for other than school group

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/03/09 05:30 PM Views: 2964 Replies: 10
Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I am an alumni of the USAF Band, and we have a website, which I set up and manage, that is quite frankly a PITA and doesn't give us 1/2 of what Class Creator gives my High School site.

Can the Class Creator be used for such a group or is there something similar that may be available?

Ben

Edited 06/03/09 5:31 PM
Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM - Response #1

Yes. That's one of the unexpected things that happened when we launched Class Creator. People began using it for family sites and singing sites and neighborhood sites and all kinds of other things we never anticipated. For instance:

Check out this family site.

Check out this resort site.

When you make a non Classmate site with Class Creator, be sure you go into your Preferences link and use the Classmate Global Replace feature to change all instances of the word "Classmates" to whatever the name of your group members is. Note: This will NOT change instances of the word Classmates in your own private Administration area. But it will change all instances on your public site so the system no longer appears to be a class site.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 12:07 PM - Response #2

Brad, Are you aware of any martial arts academies that are using class creator for their schools? I'd really like to see their layout if one exists.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM - Response #3

Unfortunately I have no good way to query the system specifically for martial arts schools, unless I already happened to know the name of the school.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM - Response #4

Brad,

I'm working on a site for my Home Owners Association, and when I try to upload the names, the cvs document wants a grad year to be inserted. How can I get around having a graduation year in my site.

Thanks
Vicky

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 10:46 PM - Response #5

What is the link to the site? Or the name of your other site? It sounds like when you built it you used the "multi" format (multiple years). You would have been better off using the single class year format, which has a simpler upload template that doesn't include a class year. In fact if you've created an alumni site for your homeowners association, unfortunately I have to recommend you dump it, go back into the wizard, build it again, and this time pick a single class year that nobody would be using (such as 1914 or something like that).

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 2:06 PM - Response #6

Hi Brad,

The Site is: www.classcreator.com/fremont-in-lake-pleasant

The site was orginaly a single year site. I uploaded the names and just input 2009 for the year. When homeowners sign-up, the profile asks for a grad year. Is there any way to get rid of the grad year pull down menu or should I just tell them to disregard that when filling out the profile.

As always, thanks for your help.

Vicky

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 5:29 PM - Response #7

The site was either created as a multi site, or at some point it was converted to a multi site under the Edit School/Logos link. Any way you slice it, you're a multi site. And you really don't want to be a multi site. Single year sites can convert to multi year sites, but there is no way to convert from a multi year site to a single year site. There's lots of reasons for that and I'll spare you those as it really doesn't matter anyway. What I would do if I were you is build the site again, this time as a single year site. You don't have members on board yet it looks like, thus now is the best time to do it. Otherwise you're going to be stuck with all of the graduating year questions, etc. Only single year sites are equipped to be changed to sites for non-class purposes.

Friday, November 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM - Response #8

I am considering setting up a site for our model sailing club. The motivation is that we have a site that is difficult to maintain.

Question 1) As I recall the process requires identifying a year, country, state, city and school. Have you any recommendations on what to use for non-school sites?

Question 2) Our current site has a .org URL. Is that type of address transferrable to Class Creator?

Friday, November 13, 2009 at 4:24 PM - Response #9

1) It really doesn't matter what year or school you select. Just choose something that nobody would ever want to use, such as a class year of 1940.

2) Sure, you can keep the domain where it is now and just point it to us (can assist you with this), or you're always welcome to transfer the domain to ClassNames.net.

Edited 11/13/09 4:26 PM
Friday, November 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM - Response #10

Thanks

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.