ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

I have a font question

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 09/11/09 03:30 AM Views: 1779 Replies: 9
Friday, September 11, 2009 at 3:30 AM

I must say I did search topics before I decided to post mine.

I know there are soooooo many things on the to do list but is the option of different fonts one of them or the ability to upload fonts.
I know in previous responses it was basically a no and that Verdana is the most readable one but having other options would be wonderful.

So is that a possibility??Razz

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 9:19 AM - Response #1

Nope. Because that's not how the web works. You can't upload and use a font. Rather, the viewer of the page already has to have the font installed on his or her own computer. Thus if you use a font and the viewer doesn't have it installed, their computer will substitute a different font. When this happens you can get all kinds of formatting issues, because the page is displayed totally differently. For instance, different fonts have different character widths. And each character width in the alphabet is not the same. Thus using non standard fonts can cause significant differences in the way your site displays to others. The only way we can ensure that you see what your Classmates see is to provide fonts that are so common that everyobdy will have them no matter what. Like Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana, etc. There's probably never a scenario where somebody doesn't have a font like Arial on their computer. So sticking with a standard font list ensures consistency between what the Admin creates, and what his or her Classmates see.

Just an FYI though, when you select a font from our list all it does it put the name of the font in the code. Give it a try and then press your Source button. You'll just see the name of the font there. So if you were to simply replace "Arial" with any other font name of your choice, you've just changed the font. So you can actually do it if you really want to. Like I said in general I'd recommend against it, but if you're ever going to try it, just make sure you pick something incredibly common that is likely to be installed on most computers.

Edited 09/11/09 9:20 AM
Friday, September 11, 2009 at 11:46 AM - Response #2

What if we provided a list of possible, well-readable fonts and have you add them. Luckily all of the years I worked with paint shop pro I know there are soooooo many that are like that.
Just keep that option open.....I won't continue to nag you (MUCH) lol

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM - Response #3

Jamie Reed wrote:

What if we provided a list of possible, well-readable fonts and have you add them. Luckily all of the years I worked with paint shop pro I know there are soooooo many that are like that.
Just keep that option open.....I won't continue to nag you (MUCH) lol

One idea you can do so that you can use a font and everyone can see it is to create a text graphic using the fancy font and then upload the graphic to the File Vault and use the fancy font graphic.

If you did this, then everyone would see the same thing (as a graphic) and there would not be any special formatting issues.

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 1:24 PM - Response #4

Quote:

One idea you can do so that you can use a font and everyone can see it is to create a text graphic using the fancy font and then upload the graphic to the File Vault and use the fancy font graphic.

I've done that before. I have used a website to do that plus when I have my paint shop pro active, I have done that. It would just be easier to use what was already there and be able to click on it instead of using a third party program to get what I want.

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 2:26 PM - Response #5

Here's what I did...

I typed my stuff in word using all TYPES of fonts then I used the program Jing which you can use to take a "photo" of whatever you just typed, save it as a JPEG then load it up on your site as you would a picture. It has worked out really well and helped things stand out! Let me know if you have questions and I'll help you out Smile

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM - Response #6

Just to be extra clear, we cannot add fonts that some people aren't likely to have. You'll have to take my word for it, it can cause formatting issues if you use a font that is not installed on the user's computer. I.E. what you see as the developer can look very different from what the end user sees. Take a look at this article if you want to know the technical reasons behind keeping our font list to standard fonts.

Edited 09/11/09 6:44 PM
Friday, September 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM - Response #7

Okie dokie then...I'll just stick with my graphic programs.
Wish I knew what I did with all of my psp cd's......lol.

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM - Response #8

It would be nice to be able to select a different font and size for the header

Friday, September 11, 2009 at 9:59 PM - Response #9

Customiable designs are coming in a feature a ways down the Task List still.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.