ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Enlarge or zoom photos

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/19/13 01:57 PM Views: 1029 Replies: 5
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Here is a helpful hint for those wishing to get a much larger view of any photo in a gallery on your website. However, as far as I know it only works if you are using the free Google Chrome browser, which is my choice anyway.
Open a picture in a gallery, then right click and on the drop down menu, left click "open image in a new tab".
Then, at the top of the screen. click on the new tab just to the right of the Class tab.
You will see an enlarged version of the photo complete with scroll bars. You can use the scroll wheel on your mouse and you can left click anywhere on the picture to enlarge it further.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM - Response #1

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the tip. Was going to peek at your gallery for an example, but it appears the home page is locked. Is that intentional?
Bob

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM - Response #2

Without seeing the specific gallery, I'm guessing that probably what we are seeing is as follows:

The "open" page window is smaller than the size of the gallery image (as displayed). The gallery automatically downsizes the viewable image to match the window size.

Then if one views the raw image (for FF "view image"), then you'll see the image as it really is in the new window. Click it once to get the scroll bars if the new window is still too small (that expands it to the full size).

Maximum gallery images are 1000 wide and around 768 tall (I forget exact amount). So a browser window resolution that's below 1024 x 768 would display this type of behavior.

Not a "zoom" view per se, but one can add extensions that can zoom. Search for "chrome extension for image zoom" or "firefox extensionfor image zoom" or "IE extension for image zoom". They can interfere too thoughIdea

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM - Response #3

Our site is passworded for classmate privacy. But looking at the site would not help you. You must download and install Chrome and then go to your site, Try it on any photo.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM - Response #4

I have Chrome (plus all the other browsers) and the behavior is as I described. Firefox is identical, except it says "view image". This is not a true "zoom" just what I described.

To make this clearer (since it's odd you'd think I didn't actually test this?), I ran Chrome on a gallery to make sure nothing has changed since I usually do not use Chrome. It does not "zoom".

Zoom means it exceeds the image size. You can see the image size in FF "image info" and in Chrome you need to download an extension to see the same thing.

For an example of a true zoom, go to our home page and click on an image. It's something I coded and I can make it any size I want. There are generic browser extensions that can do similar things.

Check your Chrome extensions to make sure you didn't add an extension.

(Edit: To make sure we are talking about the same thing - this is about Galleries, not uploaded Images to the file vault. Images uploaded to the vault can be way larger than 1000 - mine are - and thus the behavior described can occur even at large window sizes. Some of mine are 2000+. The background image on home page is 1920 and that will "expand" to actual size on most monitors as described.)

Edited 06/19/13 7:48 PM
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM - Response #5

Here's an example of different images/size in "gallery" form you can use to test LINK

What does the "log" zoom to?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.