ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

File Vault & Photo Gallery Problems

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/24/10 02:33 PM Views: 3004 Replies: 20
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM

To take advantage of the new 1,000 pixel display that has been added to the Photo Gallery, I deleted a gallery last evening and uploaded a new version. I now have a couple of problems. 1)The new Photo Gallery appears in the wrong Navigation Link (I think this is the correct terminology). I have 2 Galleries in each of 3 different links. Is there a quick and easy way to move a Gallery to a different link?
2) I did not think that the photo galleries took up space in the File Vault,but I noticed while the upload was going on that it took my File Vault way over its supposed capacity. What's that about?

3)Can I go back to the earlier version of the website to check on the number of photos I had in the gallery that I deleted, and then return to the existing version without messing anything up? Edd

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM - Response #1

Answer to #1 - Yes, go to the Gallery Creator, Click EDIT in one of the white (Gallery Rows) rows, On the following page new the top look for: Within Link:... that drop down selector will have all of the gallery link page names for you to be able to move the gallery location.

2 - Yes, File Vault Space is absolutely used by the gallery creator. You can purchase additional space in blocks of 50MB for $3/mo/block.

3 - Not really as I understand the question. However, you can go into the file vault and remove any unused photos to make additional space if necessary. Not sure if I answered this one very well. Restate the question if necessary. Smile

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Scott. I will go to work on 1 & 2. As for 3, intuitively, it would not work. The question was, could I go into Edit and accept an earlier version of the website, then go back in a few minutes and change to a version that I had created at a later time? I am guessing that acceptance of the earlier version, kind of eliminates the later version.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM - Response #3

I see. Honestly, I wasn't sure because I've never tried to do this... until now. And, I do see that If I go back to a previous version of a page, it creates a new instance of that page in the history list as being the one on top. I can still get back to the next one down, which was the current version prior to that change. So, the answer is really yes. This does not effect your file fault, meaning, all you are doing is effectively changing what is pulled into the content being displayed on the page at the time.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM - Response #4

Great. Scary, but great. Last (I hope) dumb question...I have managed to enter a photo into the File Vault under two different names (probably because I used it on different webpages). Of course, I would like to delete one of them to save the File Vault space. Do I just delete one of them and then go and look to see which one is gone from the site, and then replace it with a copy of the remaining photo? I hope this makes sense, but let me know if it doesn't and I will try again.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 5:41 PM - Response #5

Yes. Unfortunately, we don't have a way to tell you what pages you used an individual photo on for each instance. So you will need to delete one and find the missing image to replace it. Or, you can browse the site, find the image in question, right click on the image, and look for the image name. This might get trick though. I think you have the right idea though. And yes, it is wise to remove any duplicate or unused images to save room in your file vault.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM - Response #6

Hello guys.

Apologies for my seeming little brain dead on this but it's been a long day. I wouldn't be surprised if you've already answered these questions but here goes -

1) I can't see any evidence of images in the Galleries showing up in the File Vault lists. Is there any way of knowing what space is being used up by what others have added to the galleries? If others go to upload an image to their gallery which is likely to take the file storage over it's limit, will they get the same capacity exceeded message Admins get and will they then need to refer it to me to allow me to purchase more space?

2) Do images loaded onto the User Forums also add to the capacity used in the File Vault?

Saturday, September 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM - Response #7

1) We'll be adding Gallery Images to File Vault after the system restructure (approx. 9 weeks on that). We'll also make a more advanced Statistics page showing a better breakdown of what is taking up what amount of space. Late Fall to early winter for all of this, we're in the middle of significant projects right now to make way for more interesting features. No they don't get the same message you do if over File Vault. They simple get "Uploading is not available at this time."

2) Good question. No they do not.

Sunday, September 5, 2010 at 5:28 AM - Response #8

Thanks, Brad. Keep up the good work.

Monday, October 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM - Response #9

Brad,

Can you update the information about the advanced statistics page providing a breakdown of storage space usage? This hasn't been implemented yet, right?

Monday, October 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM - Response #10

Use this link to find out file vault usage (replace with your actual domain name:

http://www..com/class_admin_fv_space.cfm

Monday, October 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM - Response #11
File Vault Space 20121022.jpg

Kyle,

Followed the link but am unable to interpret the results. I assume the entries Editor Images and Files are referring to items I as admin uploaded to the File Vault. I recognize the Gallery entries.

My difficulty is that the sum of the individual entries is about 10.5 while the total amount I'm storing is shown as being 20.1. A screen shot is attached. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help,

Fred

Monday, October 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM - Response #12

Hi Fred,

For some reason, you had five galleries that had been deleted, but the photos were not cleaned up from the system. The programmer updated the system so that this situation cannot happen again (with any school).

Your File Vault size numbers should be correct now.

Monday, October 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM - Response #13

The numbers are now correct. Thanks for your help and that of the programmer.

Edited 10/22/12 11:54 PM
Monday, December 3, 2012 at 12:50 AM - Response #14
Fleet.jpg

I've run into a situation regarding the file vault that I'm unable to reconcile. The file vault useage for gallery "OCMSC Fleets" is listed as 8.31 MB. The total size of all six pictures on my computer that I uploaded is 607.1 KB. Can you help me understand this large difference?

Edited 12/03/12 12:54 AM
Monday, December 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM - Response #15

This should now be fixed.

Monday, December 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM - Response #16

It is, thanks. Is it something I'm doing that's creating these discrepancies?

Monday, December 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM - Response #17

No, there was a hiccup in the mechanism that removes backup copies of images that you edit (such as by adding text overlays) from your file vault.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM - Response #18
File Vault Discrepancy.jpg

Once again I have a file vault discrepancy. I just deleted a gallery (was about 7.6 MB) and a portion of the space taken by it was not released. In the attachment it shows 12.65 total being stored but the editor files and images sum to 9.4.

Edited 12/20/12 11:18 PM
Friday, December 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM - Response #19

Should be all set now.

Friday, December 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM - Response #20

It is, thanks.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.