ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Making addresses required?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/06/10 03:26 PM Views: 1346 Replies: 2
Saturday, February 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Perhaps (and most likely) I am blind...but I can't seem to find a way to make addresses required when classmates create their profiles.

Saturday, February 6, 2010 at 5:08 PM - Response #1

The address field used to be required but it caused 2 continual major problems:

1) Some Classmates very concerned about privacy elected not to join the site at all, since it was impossible to do so without supplying a street address.

2) Some Classmates who didn't want to give a street address just entered a fake one to get past the requirement. Obviously that's a very easy way to beat the requirement. Now you've got bad address information, and the "Show Classmates on a Map" visual is also no longer accurate.

If somebody doesn't want to enter their street address they're simply not going to. Usually at this point in joining the site those who are very concerned about privacy don't know and trust the site enough yet to provide the info. So, here's what I've recommend to others with this same question, and it has worked extremly well:

1) Click your Preferences link

2) Edit your New Classmate Welcome Email

3) Include in your verbiage that it's important that street address info be included in the Profile. Stress that this information does not have to be displayed to any other Classmates or to the public. Make it abundantly clear that the street address information is for use by the Administrator(s) only. If you ask for it in the Welcome email, and stress the safety and security of providing the street address, you'll find many people who left it blank will go back in and add it.

Edited 02/06/10 5:16 PM
Saturday, February 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM - Response #2

SPHS Class of 1990 Reunion Committee wrote:

Perhaps (and most likely) I am blind...but I can't seem to find a way to make addresses required when classmates create their profiles.

Unfortunately, there is no switch to force classmates to post their (mailing) addresses.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.