ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Announcement Expiry

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 01/04/09 09:39 PM Views: 1769 Replies: 8
Sunday, January 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Is there any way to get an announcement back that expired? I must have set the holiday greeting on my homepage to expire in the last day and forgot about it. But I also put the new features on that same announcement and it's all gone. Is there a way to get it back so I don't have to re-do it?

Also, if not, can I suggest that we have some sort of email notification or message on the website warning us of announcements that will expire?

Alternatively, how crucial is the expiry date at all? I find it a bit tedious and i would like to have complete control by deleting it myself rather than having this happen to me again.

Cathy

Sunday, January 4, 2009 at 11:58 PM - Response #1

If you don't want your announcement to expire, then don't sent an expiration date. Smile Then you can simply delete it yourself whenever you want.

When we temporarily removed the expiration date awhile back to make some changes to that part of the system, boy did we ever get it. Tons of people want to set expiration dates, because they simply may not be available in person to remove the announcement from the site at the exact time that the announcement is no longer relevant.

Having said that, did the announcement expiring really delete it from your entire site? That's very strange. It should still be there, it just shouldn't be displaying anymore. Are you sure that you or no other Admin inadvertently removed it?

Monday, January 5, 2009 at 12:47 AM - Response #2

I have one other admin, but she never touches anything. I handle everything on the site and she hasn't logged in since Friday.

It completely disappeared. I did some updates on Saturday, they were there and when I came back tonight they were completely gone. I could have inadvertently removed it, but I distinctly remember double checking the pages in both IE and FF. It had been saved numerous times because of adjustments in formatting etc., I absolutely know I did not hit delete. If you hit delete, does it warn that you're deleting or does it just delete?

Why didn't I think not to put a date in!! That will make it easy. I thought the date was mandatory.

Monday, January 5, 2009 at 12:56 AM - Response #3

Ok, I just deleted an old announcement and I know for a fact I didn't delete it because the warning came up asking if I am sure I want to delete.

So, is there a way to get the announcement back? I re-did it from memory, but I know I'm missing stuff.

Monday, January 5, 2009 at 1:11 AM - Response #4

No, if it's deleted it's deleted. I'm going to take a look at this tomorrow with a programmer. It doesn't make sense that an expiration would remove the entire announcement itself -- it should only deactivate it. If that's the default I can't believe I haven't heard this issue before now?? I'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

Monday, January 5, 2009 at 10:45 AM - Response #5

Brad Switzer wrote:

No, if it's deleted it's deleted. I'm going to take a look at this tomorrow with a programmer. It doesn't make sense that an expiration would remove the entire announcement itself -- it should only deactivate it. If that's the default I can't believe I haven't heard this issue before now?? I'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

Thanks Brad. I definitely did NOT delete it and it was saved because I tinkered with it until I got it right.

Monday, January 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM - Response #6

Okay it looks like expired annoucements are being deleted at this time. We have added a task for the programmers to change this. Once they are done the announcements will no longer be active when they expire but they will still be available to administrators to edit and add new expiration dates.

Monday, January 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM - Response #7

Pfffft... and I had this tri-pack of pure maple syrup all ready to go. *sigh* Looks like we've gone back to Wink

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM - Response #8

Jessica, Support wrote:

Okay it looks like expired annoucements are being deleted at this time. We have added a task for the programmers to change this. Once they are done the announcements will no longer be active when they expire but they will still be available to administrators to edit and add new expiration dates.

This happened to me, but I just thought that's the way it is! I'm so glad you plan to fix it though.

Your software and your support are simply amazing! I really appreciate it! Very Happy

Thanks!
Terry

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.