ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Deceased spouse wants to view posts

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/29/14 02:45 PM Views: 1412 Replies: 12
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 2:45 PM

We have a husband of a deceased classmate that wants to view the posts added to his wife's "In Memory" page. Should he be setup as a guest or is there a better alternative?

Edited 10/29/14 2:48 PM
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM - Response #1

David,
The easiest option is using his wife's email address and password to access the site. He can obviously log in and view it that way. Or if you want to set up a Guest id for him that also works.

On our site, we did not 'lock' the In Memory page for just that reason. There's no proprietary information there, usually a public obituary plus some classmate comments, so friends and family members have appreciated being able to see what's there. Logged in members can also view the deceased member's profile from the In Memory post, but others don't have that option.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM - Response #2

Hi John,

The email and password-option are now missing from the deceased classmate's Detail page. Must have happened when the In Memory page was created. Looks like the Guest option is our best choice.

Thanks for your response,

David

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM - Response #3

You have a system password that you can provide. It is located at the bottom of your Edit Site Pages page. Click the Change Password button to reveal it if you do not remember what it is.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM - Response #4

When she goes to the In Memory page, she will be prompted for a password at the bottom of the page.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 5:09 PM - Response #5

I agree with Scott. Using the System Password allows the spouse of a deceased classmate access to see the In Memory page, which has a link to the profile page of the classmate, if they had previously joined and entered data.

This is a good way to be understanding to the spouse while keeping the privacy of all classmate's profiles.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM - Response #6

I too keep the In Memory page open to the public and therefore have no need to provide special access.

Edited 10/29/14 5:16 PM
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM - Response #7

I have a son of a deceased classmate who wanted to create a profile for her. I had him sign up as her. He occasionally updates her profile. She passed away in 1998. It's nice to know what she was up to until her death. He found our site last year.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM - Response #8

I have a son of a technologically- challenged classmate who has taken over her site. He claims that he passes all information from the site to her, but then sends messages about his life to me. I am uncomfortable with this and worried that he has access to every other classmate's info. What do you think?

Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM - Response #9

Gwen,
In #5 above you mentioned System Password access to In Memory when the page is locked. And you also mentioned that In Memory posts have a link to the person's profile.
To be clear, that link is not available when accessed using the system password. For those who had joined and have a profile, the word Restricted appears in the top left corner of the displayed post.

Friday, October 31, 2014 at 5:57 PM - Response #10
Don-NotLoggedIn.jpg

Debbie, I'm not sure what you're seeing, or why it would be any different than what I see, unless it's because my In Memory page is not locked. Here, anyone can see the In Memory entries, but nothing else on the site that's locked.
Using the System Password allows access to just about any page (except profiles) whether they're locked or not - with one additional exception. System Password viewers can not see any profiles, and they can't see the What's New page. Or more accurately, they can see the WN page but there is no content displayed.

For all our In Memory members here who had joined and created a profile page, at the top right of the In Memory entry (in the border) there's a "View Profile" link (if you're logged in). But for those not logged in, that link is not there. And at the top left in the border, the word "Restricted" is shown instead of the person's name. (see attached) That's the same thing that System Password users see - Restricted at the top left, and nothing at top right. I remember wondering the first time I saw that why they replaced the name instead of putting the word "Restricted" where the "View Profile" link woul have been.

Edited 10/31/14 6:18 PM
Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 12:41 AM - Response #11

Looking at the descripton of what you tried, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that my class profile list is locked... Or... it may be that the cookies from a previous login were still there for some reason. Do you normally log in with Remember Me checked? Browsers share a single set of cookies.

Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 11:06 AM - Response #12

My site acts the same as Debbie's. To determine if it was because my Classmate Profiles page was open I locked it to see if it made a difference. It didn't. Don't know what's causing it but it isn't that, at least by itself.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.