ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Language on Site Regarding Harassment...

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/21/12 02:56 PM Views: 2933 Replies: 19
Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Does anyone have language they could share concerning harassment of classmates and what will happen if it continues? I need a small blurb on my Home Page addressing this concern.

Thanks

Mike

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM - Response #1

Personally, I think you need to address the offending person one on one. Tell them it is unacceptable behavior and if they do not stop they will have their privileges taken away. In other words, they will be banned from the site. No sense beating around the bush. Be straight.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM - Response #2

Sounds like you're having lots of trouble. Sorry to hear that but don't have any language to share.

Pittsfield can be a tough town. It was in the mid 50s when I went to North Junior High.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM - Response #3

Of what sort harrassment are we speaking? Really bad with swear words or the stupid stuff some high school morons are still doing? Any examples?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM - Response #4

We have a disclaimer on all our sites (See below). When it happens, I usually send them a nice note asking them to refain and tell them their membership may be revoked. This usually does the trick. I have only had to revoke membership once.

Lake County School System is not responsible for any comments communicated by its alumni. The sole purpose of this site is to facilitate communications between Lake County's community of graduates. If any visitor to this site feels that there is inappropriate comments, please contact the Web Master immediately and the material/materials will be removed from this site. If you have any comments or need to report any inappropriate comments, please send an email to the following address: abuse@lcsaa.org

MEMBERSHIP DISCLAIMER: This is a private site maintained by the Lake County Schools Alumni Association. Classmates that did not graduate with the class, or that graduated from other years may be admitted on a case by case basis. All membership, regardless of graduating year, will be granted or denied, at the discretion of the site administrator. All memberships may be revoked at the discretion of the site administrator. The privacy and security of all registered members will be considered a priority for the purpose of invitations, admittance, denials and revocations.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM - Response #5
be nice or leave icon.jpg

Hi Mike ~ Too bad that such an issue arises at our age.

Along with the attached pic, you could type in red bold letters something like this (or more harsh if you feel the need):

Harassment will not be tolerated ... respect others, or you will be banned from this website forever !

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM - Response #6

We have this at the bottom of our home page:

South Pasadena High School and the SPHS Alumni Association are not responsible for comments communicated by its alumni. If any visitor to this site feels that there is inappropriate comments or content, please click on the Contact Us link at the top of the website.

and then a complete policy statement with WEBSITE RULES in the How To Use This Site which starts:

ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS: The website administrator(s) retain the right to edit or remove any inappropriate content, photos, suggestive sexual content or improper language without notice. Anyone who is abusive, or posts any perceived inappropriate content on their personal page or in any form to other classmates or causes any perceived level of distress will be warned once. If there are additional problems caused by the same offender, they will be disallowed complete access to our website. Please.....lets keep this a CLEAN and enjoyable site for everyone.

Here's the link to that section:

besides what goes into their first welcoming letter.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM - Response #7

@ FC Bock - the person does not live in Pittsfield.

We are about to send a letter to her from the committee. The letter will be a stern warning that she knock it off or we remove her from the website. This corrosive behavior must stop. Alum are rethinking about the reunion because of the 'DRAMA' she might cause.

We believe this person has a 'Borderline Personality Disorder" which is causing endless drama among our classmates & reunion committee. This person is working the back channels of our classmates and hopes to turn the reunion into "US" vs. "THEM" kind of mentality. Another thing this person is currently doing is posting all over our reunion website. This person has already been banned from our class facebook group and has now moved to the Class Creator site.

@Alumni Guy - Thanks for the wording on the disclaimer. I just added it to the bottom of our Home Pg.

Thanks for all the comments.

Regards,

Mike

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM - Response #8

I put this on our Home Page:

This site isn’t about waistlines, hairlines or credit lines.
It’s about lifelines.
It’s about reconnecting with our friends from
some of the best years of our lives -
It's about caring for our classmates and their families !

Nothing more,
Nothing less.

I did this because of ONE classmate who wanted to make it a platform for their political and religious views. I emailed that person AFTER I posted it, and they stopped their political and religious ways.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM - Response #9

PRIVACY NOTICE:

All contact information (address, phone number, e-mail address) entered into this website will be kept confidential. It will not be shared or distributed. Your contact information is private: your street address, e-mail address, and phone number cannot be seen by the classmates unless you grant permission on your Profile. When someone clicks on your name, the only contact information they will see is your city and state and whatever information about yourself you choose to put on your Profile. Unless you explicitly grant your permission, your email address is not visible, although an email can be sent to you using the contact box at the bottom of your Profile page. Note, however, if you send a message to someone through their Profile page, the Classmate will see your email address so that they can respond.

MEMBERSHIP DISCLAIMER:
This is a private site for YOUR HIGH SCHOOL Graduates. Classmates that did not graduate with the class, or that graduated from other years may be admitted on a case by case basis. All membership, regardless of graduating year, will be granted or denied, at the discretion of the site administrator. All memberships may be revoked at the discretion of the site administrator. The privacy and security of all registered members will be considered a priority for the purpose of invitations, admittance, denials and revocations.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM - Response #10

OMG Michael!! I would say we are dealing with the same person!! EXCEPT....different school and different gender!!

Thanks so much for bringing this up. I plan on using one of these disclaimer on the site...BUT also...I think I will also use it on the FB page I have since that is where all the DRAMA is going on!!

I have not opened up the forums or chat stuff for them on the website since I saw all the stuff on the FB so I do not want them to contaminate the website but at some point it would be nice to let them chat here too.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM - Response #11

Thanks, Steve. Can I borrow that?
We haven't had any "issues", maybe because of the language of our home page statement. But I sure like your wording & I think I can weave that into our Home Page. Maybe we should have a "Mission Statement" or is that too politically correct for most folks to handle? LOL

Regards, John

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM - Response #12

I agree with Arlene, but I have the following on our homepage:

MEMBER DISCLAIMER: Any member may be revoked at the discretion of the Site Administrator. The privacy and security of all registered members will be considered a priority for purposes of this website.

It's general, which is to the website administrator's advantage.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM - Response #13

Dear ----,

It to my has been brought to my attention that the alleged language that you are using on our Class Web Site is unacceptable and incompatable with our standard of care. We would like to know what action would be appropiate including removing your Web Site priviledges regarding these serious allegations. If we do not receive a prompt and appropiate response, your priviledges will be revoked without further notice.

Site Administrater

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM - Response #14

My suggestion is DO NOT offer a choice of action to be taken. Perhaps, yes, ask for an explanation of remarks (lanuage) made & INFORM the offender that appropriate remedial remedies will be taken, including their removal from the site, if it is confirmed inappropriate behavior as per your site rules & standard of care.
Sad this has had to happen. Surely, no Admin's ever imagined a scenerio such as bad behavior.

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM - Response #15

We have sent this person a letter from the committee stating our concerns and what will result if behavior is not changed. First removal from the website then exclusion from the reunion.

I do have a question concerning the website in regards to removal of a classmate. If you delete someone from the 'Manage Class List', does it also remove everything they've posted or do you have to manually delete?

Thanks

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM - Response #16

It will remove any evidence of their participation on the website.

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM - Response #17

Thanks Eric, much appreciated.

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM - Response #18

jonboy44 - and anyone else -

Anything visible on our site is 'free for the taking!'
I actually got the bulk of the statement from another site, and modified it a bit, as I am sure all others do as well.

William and Rhonda,
I am going to 'steal' a few phrases from YOUR statements as well! Hope you don't mind.

Friday, June 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM - Response #19

STEVE STEIN wrote:

jonboy44 - and anyone else -

Anything visible on our site is 'free for the taking!'
I actually got the bulk of the statement from another site, and modified it a bit, as I am sure all others do as well.

William and Rhonda,
I am going to 'steal' a few phrases from YOUR statements as well! Hope you don't mind.

That all right I got some of it from some one else

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.