ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

email notification

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/10/17 10:09 PM Views: 1321 Replies: 22
Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 10:09 PM

Can someone at CC check to see if the outgoing mail is logged up?
I made an announcement on our site shortly after 14:00 HRS today, and it is now 21:00 HRS, and no one seems to have gotten an email notice yet that a page was updated [classmate passed].

Thanks,
Steve

Monday, December 11, 2017 at 1:16 PM - Response #1

Hi Steve,

Did you use announcements or Email the Class? I don't see anything in the queue and mail was flowing normally yesterday. The majority of your classmates who have Notify Me for Announcements turned on have it set to receive them once daily. The once daily messages go out early in the morning the following morning.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, December 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM - Response #2

I made an announcement on the Home page. Two of my admin's were contacted by me, and they tell me they subscribe to be notified when a page has been updated, and they have not received anything, and neither have I. As of an hour ago, they had not receive anything.
When is 'morning' for when the emails go out? Presume eastern time, because that is where you are.
It is 12:30 here now, and 1:30 there. Either way, they emails should have gone out already to my classmates who subscribe to the notifications.

Perplexed in Texas! LOL

Steve

Monday, December 11, 2017 at 5:23 PM - Response #3

Morning meaning 5:30 a.m. EST Yes it should have gone out already.

Monday, December 11, 2017 at 5:24 PM - Response #4

You might want to send and Email The Class to be certain the classmates are notified. If you added him to In Memory they should have received those notices as well.

Jessica

Monday, December 11, 2017 at 6:08 PM - Response #5

Sad to say, this is very frustrating.
I am sure your office is closed by now, but hope you can check Tuesday morning to see what the issue might be.
I wonder if others are losing notifications as well?
Why would it be unique to my site?

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 12:34 PM - Response #6

According to my classmates who contacted me privately, they are receiving spotty email notifications. We have active classmates who log on daily. Today, 3 classmates logged on. Is there
a problem with the server?

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM - Response #7

Dec 6, a classmate posted a sweet story & photos of her dad, age 93, who just received his high school diploma. We never received any email notification. Is there a problem with the server?

Friday, December 15, 2017 at 4:32 PM - Response #8

Yesterday we had a ton of classmates logging on. Today. there are few. We have an upcoming event planned. Tomorrow is the weekend. Please push through our email notifications. Thank you

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 5:07 PM - Response #9

On 12/31 we (me and the co-sysop) updated our homepage. No email notice was sent out. Since that time, both yesterday and today, we have made minor changes to the homepage in an effort to induce a notice. Still no notice. I don't know if any birthday-related notices should have been sent out, but there have no notices of any kind. Did we do someting wrong or is something happening at your end?

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 11:55 PM - Response #10

They're having their normal mail server problems today. My 5am Once Daily notifies wandered in at 6pm today.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 2:19 PM - Response #11

The problem I wrote about yesterday was fixed. Something new happened today. This new thing is something I've never seen before. Whether or not there is a problem, I like to know what it is.

One or more times a day I receive a notice from CC. This notice has let me know of birthdays, deaths, profile changes, page changes, new pages, messages addressed to me. That's all I can remember.

Today I received the following an email from CC. The email told me of profile changes, but also included the following:

New message posted to the class

Pola (Paula) ****
Latest photo. More

"More" was a link. It took me to a page that appeared to list a history of messages posted on various Profile pages, actions I've taken on the site, and maybe more things.

I've never seen such a page, so at some point I stopped scrolling down the. I don't know if non-sysops received a link to such a page applicable to them.

Hopefully the foregoing makes sense.

What does

New message posted to the class

Pola (Paula) ****
Latest photo. More

mean? What is it?

Sorry if this post is scattered, but I really don't know what the notice is.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:23 PM - Response #12

In the 'old days', a "More" link in a notify for someone who'd posted a Message To The Class in their own profile used to take us to their profile (after logging in) so we could view the message.

These days, the notify's More link often takes you to the the What's New page where that Message To The Class (and a bunch more things that display there) are listed. Unfortunately, by the time you click on the More link, the message you're looking for can semi-hidden between half a dozen other 'new' things - or be well down the list and out of sight.

Edited 01/03/19 3:26 PM
Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:55 PM - Response #13

I'm afraid I may be acting thick, but it's no act. I don't understand your first paragraph. What is a "notify"? On our site, non-sysops can edit their own Profiles and other personal information about themselve. They can also leave messages on a classmate's profile page, use the Message Center to send messages to selected people, Contact Us, edit their Profile pages. Messages, other than what would appear on a Profile page, destined to the class are not posted until reviewed and approved by a sys-op.

Whether old or new, our site has been online since May, 2013, and this is the first time I've seen something like I saw today.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 4:06 PM - Response #14

A "notify" is an email 'notice' from the site that people have chosen to receive using their Notify Me options. Notify emails are triggered by many things (birthdays, profile changes, etc), but posting a message in a profile is one example that can send a notify email.

If your classmates can post a message in other people's profiles, then than can also post one in their own profile. That, since it can be read by anyone, is often referred to as a "Message to the Class". Those messages are not something that needs to be verified by a sys-op.

Edited 01/03/19 4:11 PM
Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 4:47 PM - Response #15

I do understand your response now. I am familiar with what you've described. What I am writing about is like nothing I've experienced. Thanks for your attention tho.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10:32 PM - Response #16

Barry,
What you described sounds a lot like what you'd see on the What's New page. But it doesn't appear that page is active on your site, so you might not be all that familiar with what it looks like.

I was surprised to find though, that the More link in a notify email generated from a "Message To The Class" goes to and displays the What's New page anyway - whether it's active or not. I'm still guessing that explains what you saw.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 3:00 AM - Response #17

This note is a new chapter of the trouble we've been having with the delivery of daily notices. One of our members, who happens to be a co-sysop, has not received any Notify Me notices (birthdays, page changes, profile changes, etc.) since the beginning of this calendar year. He has not changed any setting that would affect delivery of notices to him. To my knowledge, he is the only person having a problem. HELP!

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:19 PM - Response #18

If the member is a Comcast customer, then... We have had other reports of notifications not being received for Comcast customers. We have contacted Comcast and not received a reply to that inquiry. At the moment, we are not receiving any bouncebacks from Comcast that would indicate an issue on the Class Creator end. However, it is likely that emails are being caught in a spam or junk folder for Comcast. You can tell your members that they will need to log in at a webmail system for Comcast to look at the spam or junk mail folder in that webmail system to locate the emails. Also, if your members have access to spam filter settings, they may want to review them to see if they can get the emails to arrive in their inbox again. Suggest also that they whitelist the email address noreply@classcreator.net by adding it as a contact in their contacts list. They may also want to call Comcast and let them know that emails they are expecting to receive are not being delivered to their inbox.

Thanks,

Scott Mastenbrook
Class Creator

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM - Response #19

Thanks much Scott. Comcast, indeed, is involved.

Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 1:21 PM - Response #20

A new/different notice problem. We keep a page denominted "Practice", and have been years, as a place to test/edit material before posting it. Practice is NOT active. There is no link to it. Yesterday I worked on Practice and saved the work. Shortly thereafter, a "Pages on the site have been added or updated" notice was sent announcing that changes were made, or a new page hcad been added, identifying Practice as that page. I get such notices the next day (a friend let me know yesterday she got the notice) and the same information was included in my daily noice this morning. I assume everyone got such a notice. What happened? The page isn't, and never has been active. Thanks.

It's several hours since I posted what's above. I just clicked on the "Practice" link in the notice. To my surprise it loaded the Practice. I am guessing anyone can load Practice. I changed the name of Practice to Practice 2. Pressing Practice opened Practice 2, Again, Practice is not an Active page. HELP! Barry Levinsky

Edited 08/17/19 5:08 PM
Monday, August 19, 2019 at 6:47 PM - Response #21

I'm checking with the programmers to verify a few things on this and will get back with you.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, August 19, 2019 at 8:29 PM - Response #22

If you make a page temporarily active all the things described can happen. Then when you make it "inactive" it still can be accessed if a link was sent out.

IOW, a page does not have to be "active" to access. That is normal behavior. I use that on purpose to make test samples to link to for this forum but they do not show up on the left and they are not "active".

You can test a page without making it active by just manually typing in yoursite/testname.htm

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.