ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Can you print profiles to use as a memory book?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/24/12 09:46 AM Views: 1611 Replies: 10
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I would like to make a memory book featuring each person's profile with photo. Is this doable on class creator?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM - Response #1

I believe you can with a little work by going in under "MANAGE CLASSMATES" then "DOWNLOAD CLASSMATES PROFILES" then download all and export to EXCEL

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM - Response #2

We did our memory book that way, but it wasn't easy. Some didn't want their profiles published, more than half weren't on the web so had to ask by mail & email to get answers & pictures. I downloaded once but as more came in, just copied & pasted. Some were very long, others so short it would have been a waste of paper. Ran them essentially alphabetically with short ones grouped on a page when that worked, otherwise filled in spaces with candid photos from the yearbook.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM - Response #3

When you download, what you get is an Excel file. Not the best format for publishing, and the photos don't come with it. You could probably do screenprints of the profiles pages if the questions were short enough; that would preserve the look. Still going to have to edit. For ours I created a memory book page template and pasted into that. We had the yearbook photo & a current photo (sometimes 2-3).

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM - Response #4

Our profile is based on the forms we used for the 10, 20, and 30 Year Memory Books. This year for #40, we decided not to do memory books and point everybody to the website. This way the "memory book" is theoretically constantly being updated.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM - Response #5

Hi Alison,

There is no feature in ClassCreator for doing what you ask, but if you wanted to install Firefox, there is an extension for it called "print edit" that allows you to directly modify a webpage for printing by removing any unwanted elements and restyling the text to meet your needs. You'd still have to do one page at a time, but you could preserve the profile layout as it is on the site.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM - Response #6

Knowing the programmers are working on the latest upgrade for CC, this would be a great feature to add for future upgrades, don't you [all] think?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM - Response #7

STEVE STEIN wrote:

Knowing the programmers are working on the latest upgrade for CC, this would be a great feature to add for future upgrades, don't you [all] think?

Yes. Sure. So would the ability to center things (words & images) on our pages. Unfortunately neither are probably of a high enough priority for the programmers, as has been previously brought up in other CC forums. It would be appreciated though if they would change their minds.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM - Response #8
Charlie Taylor.pdf

On a lark, I selected all the text on my profile and pasted it into a word document. I then inserted a text box and inserted the profile pix. Took just a few seconds. If you really want it printed, this may be faster than trying to export to excel and then doing a mail merge especially when you factor in the formatting issues. Other than sanitizing, the attached file is the result.

Edited 01/25/12 10:21 AM
Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM - Response #9
Charlie Taylor.pdf

Charlie Taylor wrote:

On a lark, I selected all the text on my profile and pasted it into a word document. I then inserted a text box and inserted the profile pix. Took just a few seconds. If you really want it printed, this may be faster than trying to export to excel and then doing a mail merge especially when you factor in the formatting issues. Other than sanitizing, the attached file is the result.

Charlie:
Glad you gave that a try, it made me do the same. It works fine and takes very little time. Thanks for sharing yours. Smile

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM - Response #10

Thanks so much for all of the info. I think we will either use the site as a memory book or take the word doc pasting suggestion.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.