ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

User Forum Posts on What's New

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/20/24 07:47 PM Views: 200 Replies: 3
Saturday, January 20, 2024 at 7:47 PM

I and my members still use the User Forums but one of my members has asked why anything he posts on the User Forums doesn't also find its way onto our Notice Board (What's New) page.

Could you, maybe, ensure that they do?

Saturday, January 20, 2024 at 8:14 PM - Response #1

That makes sense. What's New was designed (sorta) to replace User Forums (as I recall). Therefore it was not updated to do what you pointed out. It has to be asked to be included as an option on new sites. Older sites had that Forum and another older single threaded one that I forget ATM as options.

Saturday, January 20, 2024 at 10:28 PM - Response #2

We had that discussion with Brad back when the What's New page was released. He was hoping that the What's New page would replace both the Message Forum and User Forum pages, but... he got some backlash from quite a few people using them. And even new users who see them on other web sites, referenced in the forums, or hear about them from other admins want them - and ask to get them added.

Brad's concern (other than getting rid of some very old code) was that the Message Forum was so disjointed as people randomly posted things - and responses ended up much farther up the list, so they wouldn't make much sense scattered among all the other entries in the What's New Page. That's probably true, but many sites used the Message Forum as a community bulletin board, and it often got more traffic than many other pages. And posting a new User Forum entry out of context might be confusing or misleading.

He stuck by his decision to keep those two off the What's New page, but did allow us to keep the old Message Forum and User Forum pages - which are still used and enjoyed on many CC web sites.

Edited 01/20/24 10:31 PM
Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 6:00 AM - Response #3

Thanks for the responses John and Jack.

Up until recently it hasn't been a problem and still isn't a major one. It's just that one member of mine started a Book Club Forum on the User Forums and was hoping for more input from other members and wondered why they weren't alerted to his User Forum posts via What's New. Although it might help to have his posts duplicated there I'm not sure it would make much difference to his efforts anyway but I didn't want him to think his idea was unlikely to bear fruition. People just don't read as much as they used to and even those that do are reluctant to discuss a book's merits. Anyone really interested can still subscribe to his thread and respond if they want.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.