ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Three Questions

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/09/14 08:56 PM Views: 860 Replies: 9
Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Hi Kyle and Admins,
1: I have totally changed my homepage. Can you shorten it up? I have all that I want and there is still a large space.

2: When I'm editing I have sometimes forgotten to unclick the notify members before saving. This is very annoying and those who checked the notify button on their profile, I believe did not want to be notified every time I make a change. Can this be deleted, or do I have to ask them all to uncheck?

3: How do I go about filling in the right side of my screen with perhaps picture or school related background?

Thanks in advance everyoneLaughing

Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM - Response #1

I'll take a shot at two of those (and leave #1 for the experts)

(2) There's an option in Preferences where you can set the default for "Notify XX Members...". You can set the default to off and just click the box 'on' when you really want to send a notify.

(3) In the Change Design menu, there's an option called Background Image. It allows you to upload a picture which will be duplicated in the blank space on the right. Check my site to see the shamrock I'm using this week.

Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM - Response #2

Hi John,
(2) Great. Solved that problem.
(3) I picked a design but it sure didn't turn out like yours. You're welcome to go to my homepage and maybe you can see what the heck I did wrong. I love your background. How did you get the falling clovers?

Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM - Response #3

To get rid of the large space at the end, put your cursor where there is a large space and press the delete key. Repeat until the space is as desired.

For example, in that announcement, below The Weather Channel, there are about 40 extra spaces. The other way is to go into source mode and and look for the spaces. Sometimes that's the only way to remove them. In your case looks like

If you really want to play around and get a nice clean home page (this is just ignored on FB) add this in editor source mode on your HOME page, NOT the announcement and see if you like it. Source mode is the upper left icon. When you click it, you see all the "code" that makes up your page. Just go to the top and copy the following (cut and paste). If you don't like it, go back into source mode and delete. This only affects your home page.

If you do like it, you can make your images much wider now. Eventually CC will provide a page option for CC that gives you more space.

This is the code to add as described:

Diane Michiels wrote:

Hi Kyle and Admins,
1: I have totally changed my homepage. Can you shorten it up? I have all that I want and there is still a large space.[

Edited 03/10/14 12:06 AM
Monday, March 10, 2014 at 12:04 AM - Response #4

An image smaller than the background has to "tile". That's where the edges mesh seamlessly as they repeat to fill in the space.

John's has a surround without any detail, so that's a natural. You can make image edges so they tile using cut and paste. You cut (copy) one "edge", flip it and paste it on the other side. Do this 4 times. Or find an image that is already done that way.Wink

Diane Michiels wrote:

Hi John,
(2) Great. Solved that problem.
(3) I picked a design but it sure didn't turn out like yours. You're welcome to go to my homepage and maybe you can see what the heck I did wrong. I love your background. How did you get the falling clovers?

Edited 03/10/14 12:05 AM
Monday, March 10, 2014 at 7:33 AM - Response #5

Goodness that went way over my head Jack. I want to be able to do this myself but there are some things that I feel so dumb atEmbarassed Are there any layman terms for what you just postedWink

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM - Response #6

I assume you meant about the background image.

Tile means repeat. Meaning the image has to repeat to fully cover the page. When it repeats the edges touch. So where they touch it needs to mesh (fit) the other side.

If the area around an image is just a plain color, it will always mesh. However, if the image touches the edges (bleeds in printer talk) then the edges have to be manipulated to mesh.

To make any image mesh, you take the left side, flip it and then copy that to the right side. Now if the left and right side touch, they mesh since they are mirror images of each other.

Repeat for top.

Search for "background images for webpages"

There are other methods too as the next image shows

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM - Response #7

Btw, nothing is dumb when one has never done it. It's just experience. Dumb is when you have experience and then you still do a ...

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM - Response #8

Hi Jack,
Thank you for explaining that to me. I print a lot of things on the Admins Site. Now I will try it myself. I appreciate your feedbackWink

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM - Response #9

Diane,

I noticed that on your site the Grooveshark player is not showing. It looks like you put part of the sidebar2 stuff I posted above just before that, but not all of it?? (I'm having to guess a bit from the way the actual html looks.)

If you wanted to try out the < style ..etc > that should not be done in an announcement, which I think that is.

It should be in the home page in source mode. When you edit the home page, go down to the editor that is below the place where you do announcements. Click source, paste and save.

Source mode is also how to get the player back (which you must know since to put the player there you had to go into source mode). In source mode for the announcement, delete the < style .. up to and including 'relative'.

Hope that's clear.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.