ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Page is located on left side of screen ...

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/23/18 09:37 PM Views: 748 Replies: 4
Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 9:37 PM

How can we position our page to fill the whole computer screen. Currently it is located on left side with a large blank area on the right.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 12:10 AM - Response #1

Peg, this is easy to do:

Under Admin Functions, click on Change Design. Scroll down to Page Alignment in the first dialog box. Click "Center," then SAVE ALL CHANGES.

After you do this, you'll have a blank area on either side.

After experimenting, we've kept our site aligned to the left. It will be easy for you to return to the left alignment if you don't like how the center alignment looks.

Edited 05/24/18 12:12 AM
Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 1:10 AM - Response #2

If you want to "fill the whole computer screen", change to Responsive Design. I'm on that now so I can't remember the name used. I think it's DYI design?? That's the name after I switched.

You can switch back if you don't like it. Responsive Design is a bit confusing to set up because of more options to pick from. Sometimes you need to make adjustments to some items.

You can fill the whole page or just part ( I picked part). Best part is that it works much better on mobile devices AND the admin menu (on the upper right) gives much faster access to admin areas.

Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:06 PM - Response #3

Jack: I wrote a minute ago, but think I lost it, so please forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

If I understand what you wrote, Responsive Design is not a toggle. I recently got a 27" monitor, and whether I use left or center orientation, there is a lot of black space. If I'm reading correctly, Response Design requires some design and work on your part. It also seems that spreading out a homepage would substantially flatten it out.

Am I missing something.

Barry Levinsky

Monday, November 18, 2019 at 12:03 AM - Response #4

Responsive Design can cover the whole page or part. The minimum width is much wider than any of the older "classic designs". I am assuming that's what you meant by "flatten it out" - make the page.

Yes, that is true, but how much is up to you. There are many choices on how that works.

For example this one is the same basic one as ours but with the left side menu removed and moved to the upper top right. Looks very different, yet is the same start as ours.
http://www.classcreator.com/Springfield-VT-1958/

Also has some other choices, but the menu choice is the biggest difference. That still doesn't cover the whole page.

Now this one covers the whole page, with also the left menu removed. This is the maximum open space you can get. Notice that the images adjust to the full width of that page.
http://www.boxelder63.com/

If you reduce the size of your browser display, you can grab the edges and see how the display adapts to the available width. To make that work for everything (adapt to the screen size), all your elements should be coded in percent vs absolute sizes or not at all. For example, image width would be 100% (for total width) or 50% if you wanted it smaller vs 500px. Same thing for table sizes.

The resulting page look depends a lot on which one you chose and also on your page content. A total width page might not be easy to read with a lot of text. Pure subjective choices here.

Usually you will not have many issue when you switch. I preferred a compromise to avoid too much text since what you pick applies to ALL pages. (I can not see beyond your home page.)

It's when you get to mobile that fixed size elements might interfere. But classic designs are not very mobile friendly at all Wink

Hope those examples give you an idea of how flexible it is and how you determine the final look. As I said, it takes a bit more experimenting and tinkering. You could make a new free "temporary site" (with ads) for playing around vs your live site and see. That's what I did.

There's actually a bug for YouTube videos that changes the width (reduces it) no matter what you want. I overrode it. Have no idea why that was never fixed.

Edited 11/18/19 3:13 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.