ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Creating a Webpage for a Historical Site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/09/09 12:40 AM Views: 1364 Replies: 2
Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Hi Brad, Through our growing multi year school website, I was approached today to put together a webpage for a historical site. Basically it would be 9 pages of tourist information, pictures, upcoming events etc. The historical site is an old grade/high school (now closed)and a huge church that I believe is on the National Register of Historic Places, and is only used for special events. In short, I think they want to turn their paper brochur into a webpage.

My question is can I adapt classcreator for this purpose? All reference to classmates, profiles, etc. would not be needed, as this would be a site with no names on it, no log-ins etc, however they may want to have a "Guest List", and admin. email priviledges. All pages I presume would NOT be password protected.

I meet with their board of directors today and am not sure what to tell them. I did tell the person that approached me what it would cost for a subscription to classcreator and he didn't flinch.

Your advice please on how to approach this request, and any pitfalls I'm not aware of, and most of all, is this idea even feasible, using classcreator templates.

Larry

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 3:18 AM - Response #1

Basically you can, with the understanding that the system does what Class Creator currently does. In other words any limitations the system may have for other purposes is what it will have, until such time we spin off the system in other directions (which we are planning).

I was surprised early on at the # of things Class Creator was being used for that were not class web sites. Sites like family sites, neighborhood sites, church sites, military sites, travel sites, etc.

Other uses is one of the reasons we allowed people to rename "Classmates" site wide using the global replace variable (found under your Preferences link). In your case if you end up not needing some of the social networking abilities of Class Creator, you can disable those pages altogether be deactivating them under your Edit Site Pages area.

Edited 09/09/09 3:19 AM
Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM - Response #2

Larry,
The reason they didn't flinch on the price is that most hosts won't host a ColdFusion-based site for the amount Class Creator charges much less provide the features found here.
I've programmed in most languages for almost thirty years. ColdFusion is VERY powerful and what I would prefer to PHP if hosting weren't so high to begin with.
I stumbled across CC when looking for a grade school buddy. I saw its capabilities and features and wound up with two CC sites. No way I could have gotten this together in the time allotted.
You'll be limited in some ways, but the folks on the forum will gladly help.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.