ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Prevent Copy-N-Paste

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/01/09 01:52 PM Views: 1311 Replies: 4
Monday, June 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Is there an easy way to prevent copying (for pasting) the entire profile listing (including all variations of it)?

Monday, June 1, 2009 at 2:13 PM - Response #1

Not really, no. If you put something on a non password protected page, then consider it public. You can actually disable the copy function itself on a page, but that would stop virtually nobody who really wanted to copy the content.

Just off the top of my head, even if you disabled copying, I could:

1) Print the page to PDF and copy it there.
2) Take a print screen image of the page.
3) Print the page on paper then scan it back in with OCR.
4) Go into my cache (temporary Internet files) and just copy it from there.
5) In my browser hit File, Save, and then open the page in Notepad or another html editor and copy it there.
6) Retype the content. With a fast typist it wouldn't take long.

I could think of more ways if I thought about it. Anyway, the answer is that disabling copying would stop only very non computer savvy people from copying the content. Anyone who really wants it is going to get it.

Edited 06/01/09 2:14 PM
Monday, June 1, 2009 at 2:43 PM - Response #2

Brad,

Am I correct in my observation that the homepage has been copy disabled?

I know I raised this issue sometime ago, and now it seems copying is not available.

J

Monday, June 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM - Response #3

I copied it all from view source.

Can I ask why would one not want to copy a profile or page?

Monday, June 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM - Response #4

Joyce Deprest wrote:

Brad,

Am I correct in my observation that the homepage has been copy disabled?

I know I raised this issue sometime ago, and now it seems copying is not available.

J

No, I can copy your home page just fine. I defy anyone to show me a page that can't be copied. You can disable copy, you can disable right clicking, etc., but there's all kinds of ways to get around that, that even somebody with very basic computer skills would have. If you put a page out there that's public (i.e. you've chosen not to password protect it), then you should consider it public. That doesn't mean people can legally take content or images that belong to you. I'm just saying that they technically can do it if they want to, and you won't be able to prevent it.

Having said that, there are some protections you can take if you wish. For instance you can copyright content. You can watermark images (www.digimark.com) to prove ownership. Most people won't ever go to that extreme, but the only real way to protect your own content and/or images is to protect them at a legal level.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.