ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Creating a phonebook (of sorts)

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/24/11 01:39 PM Views: 1549 Replies: 6
Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I have a Classmate Businesses link to the left of my home page. The businesses listed are currently presented the way I want. I'd like to do is to have a book format,' in which I can create 1 page each for each classmate's biz. Clueless how to go about that and am hoping for some ideas. (page is password protected: system password is: petunia)

thanks much. Irma Comer, Kernersville, NC

Friday, June 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM - Response #1

There are various ways. The easiest in the CC format is to use the Gallery system. What you do is create a "Gallery" called Classmate Businesses (vs the single page "custom" page now there using the Create New Photo Gallery Link That creates the main link on the left hand side which will replace your current one.

Do not put anything in this first main section and do not add any photos using the gallery feature.

Now add a subgallery and call it "Business Index" (using your existing list) using the Create New Photo Gallery. Choose Classmate Businesses as the Within Link. Put the page you have now as the content of this page. This page will link to each business you want to add.

Now add another subgallery and call it "Pet Sitting" (example from your existing list) using the Create New Photo Gallery. Choose Classmate Businesses as the Within Link.

Now put the details of that business in the edit section. Add images, etc using Image Link or Filevault or external IMG links. Just don't use the gallery feature for adding pictures.

Repeat adding subgallery Within Link for each business and all the details of same.

Now you need to take each business name in the very first subgallery and create a link for each one going to the subgallery page you created using the Insert/Edit Link in the editor. Here's how to do that.

Activate the ALL the gallery pages just created. Then click on the empty gallery images that will show up when you click on the new Classmate Businesses one at a time. Copy the URL shown in your browser and use that as the link to each business. Highlight the business name, use the Insert/Edit tool and past in the URL. Hint: I open up multiple copies of my site so I can bounce from the page I'm editing and fill in the link on the "index" page without having to close that page.

That's just one way that is fairly easy.

The final step is to activate the Main (first) gallery and the first subgallery. The rest are made inactive. Now if you click on the Left link all you will see is your business index page. Click on each business to verify your links are correct.

Hope this isn't too longWink

Friday, June 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM - Response #2

I've printed your instructions and hope I'm able to accomplish. thanks much. I reserve the right to ask more questions.
thanks again

Friday, June 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM - Response #3

Do you have a directory on you website. Would like to see how it works. Thanks for the instructions, I might have to set something up for our class.

Friday, June 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM - Response #4

I don't have a class business directory (a really cool concept for earlier classes that still have active business classmates). I do use the Gallery feature in that manner in several places to tie common areas together via links as described - just looks a bit different.

Here's a LINK to one that's open to the public - BHS-Bothell History.

That uses both a forward > < backward triangle arrow graphic and a "directory" of sorts on the bottom of each page to navigate directly to areas - created in the way I described above with navigation a bit more custom. The top buttons navigate to other galleries that I can expand as more material arrives. All of them are related to the same subject - our school and city history.

The idea here is to keep the pages from getting too long - so I split around 2-3 pages to a new page. A somewhat subjective area that John Chidester started a topic about a few months ago. The business directory (if you think about it) is driven by the same somewhat natural concept of keeping it short and sweet. I'd keep the business directory links open to the public - that will help drive business to the classmates.

Feel free to copy anything that's useful.

Edited 06/24/11 6:18 PM
Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 9:06 PM - Response #5

How do you make the photos fly out?
I have photo galleries that do that, but they are smaller and have a paperclip.

Also, how do you make the links on the top?

Thanks
Tom

Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM - Response #6

It's a little script I wrote. Pretty easy to use - that was my #1 goalRazz. It can expand to a set size or auto-sizes to the screen space available. Depends on the original image size as to which one I use.

Unlike the gallery, I can control the stored image size in the file vault. Also images are part of the page with text, etc. Can also do autoplay - home page has an example. For images like this I don't use the Images folder since that has a maximum of 646 (or something like that). I created a folder called "BigImages" in FileWink

Top Buttons are just graphic images with an href link. There's a script for those too, but not required. Made those with MS html editor, but you can make your own with a graphics editor. Looks more complicated because of script that activates the "hover" image - just did that for fun.

For both, use View Source in your browser, get past the CC stock stuff till you get to the start of user code. This particular one is easy. Search for

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.