ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Copyright

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/06/08 11:03 PM Views: 1809 Replies: 15
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 11:03 PM

I just happened to notice the orignal copy I wrote for my site is in use on another member's site. Is that common practice here or do people feel as if copyright laws should apply?

I'm all for sharing ideas, and maybe I'm a bit more touchy than most because I write for a living, but I'd like to hear what others in the forum think. I have no copyright markings on my site, but they are original works and covered under copyright laws with or without the mark.

I don't know, maybe I should consider it a compliment and shut up - if other members think so, I will.

Let me know if I'm taking myself too seriously. Wink

Edited 08/06/08 11:44 PM
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM - Response #1

Ok, so now that I determined it wasn't me (lol) I can honestly say that, in my opinion, it's all about sharing ideas and concepts and ultimately a successful reunion! Smile

In any case, I guess it's all up to interpretation and how you feel about the issue as you are certainly entitled to your feelings, but I would take it as a form of flattery.

On another note, I did take a look at your site and noticed that you uploaded the "senior portraits" to the "wrong" position. There is a spot specifically set for the purpose of adding this picture which will not allow the alumni to remove, change or otherwise alter that specific picture. By leaving the photo in the position you currently have it loaded it appears that every one of your alumni has uploaded pictures and therefore also messes up that aspect of your "statistics".

The position that you loaded your senior pictures is supposed to be exclusively for the alumni once they have logged on. The other position meant for the senior pictures will automatically resize the picture and place it in the upper right hand corner of that same screen.

Best Regards,
Christel

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 11:19 PM - Response #2

Published books have an ISBN and copyright stamp on it .
But website trappings are free to viewers.
If I should one day become that creative on my website I'd feel more rewarded if somebody built something from my creativity.
You're right best to take it as a complement.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 11:27 PM - Response #3

I did that with the photos so every name would have a photo icon next to it. I was hoping to draw more people in. Down the road, as a person adds a picture of their own, I'm switching the position of the graduation photo. I'm already behind on that! I might change my mind on the position, but since we're just getting underway, I was hoping it would encourage people to hang out and look around.

On the copyright subject, I guess I don't really care, but I don't want others thinking I took the copy from someone else. It's probably just a writer thing. Writing copy is a little like giving birth and most people don't want to give their children away. Ha!

Edited 08/07/08 12:05 AM
Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 12:21 AM - Response #4

We should all be thankful for the great web site , which is free or almost free. If we can help one another 1/10th as much as Brad helps us we should be happy. After all help with words is no more important that help with bits and bites. I think. Jim

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 7:32 AM - Response #5

I agree, ClassCreator provides a phenominal level of of features and service for the price (I paid for a domain name), but I don't work for ClassCreator. No worries, however, I'll go with the general consensus and am now officially over myself!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 9:27 AM - Response #6

Interesting forum question. I too would take it as a compliment. I've experienced the same with finding my words on other class sites.

Christel, when I click to review your site this is where I'm taken to. Do you not have a class site with classcreator?

http://www.atouchofclassreunions.com/

I enjoy reviewing other class sites in hopes of finding new ideas!

Happy sharing!
--Trish

Edited 08/07/08 9:33 AM
Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 9:44 AM - Response #7

Yes, actually I have several! I'm a Reunion Planner and own my own company (A Touch of Class Reunions). I changed the link so that when I spoke on the forums I wasn't communicating regarding one site or the other. However, if you do go to my www.atouchofclassreunions.com website you will see a list of upcoming reunions all the way to the right hand side of the home page. If you click on any of the schools listed there it will take you to each of their respective class creator sites.

Barringer High School, Cliffside Park High School, Edgewood Regional High School, Livingston High School, Morris Knolls Class of 83 and Class of 84, Pemberton Township HS Class of '87 and Class of '88, Pompton Lakes High School, River Dell High School and Tappan Zee.

The Class Creator site is something that I offer to each of my Reunion Committees as part of their Reunion Package!

Christel

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 10:22 AM - Response #8

Christel,

How is the reunion business going? I'll bet it's a lot of hard work! We're considering hiring one for our next reunion. Too bad you don't live in the Minnesota area! I think it's a great idea to work with someone who knows what they're doing rather than trying to muddle through on our own.

The last two reunion committees did a very poor job and our numbers are really dwindling because of it. The woman in charge of the last one actually booked a facility in the small town where she's currently living, rather in the city where our high school is located! Can you image? People who've moved from the area want to see their home town - the whole thing made no sense.

We have no idea what we've gotten ourselves into by volunteering for this one, but we all appreciate how much work it's going to take, so we're starting WAY early.

Edited 08/07/08 10:23 AM
Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM - Response #9

Whew! It wasn't me either.
I liked your opener on the homepage too! Compliments to you. A thought: if you have something you don't want copied, you might put a copyright symbol after it - not that it is really copyrighted but just to tell people you'd prefer they not use it.

I love it when I post something and next thing happens it is in a lot of places. Great place to get ideas and share.

Edited 08/07/08 1:47 PM
Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 4:19 PM - Response #10

Don't worry, I'm not the litigious type. I don't even remember where I saw it, so no worries. I'm going with majority opinion here.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 11:30 PM - Response #11

Everyone -- I just want to say that I like this attitude. And it's exactly what these forums are for.

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 2:45 AM - Response #12

Thanks for saying that Brad. Everyone has great stuff to share. Of course it's just the admins who are going to be seeing each other's sites and not classmates. I'd like to see more people showing off their sites!

Edited 08/08/08 2:51 AM
Friday, August 8, 2008 at 7:58 PM - Response #13

I am one who liked your statement SO much that I borrowed it. I do apologize. I had no idea it would upset you. I have removed it.

Anyone feel free to take anything from my site that you want.

Thanks and again, I am truly sorry to upset you.

Friday, August 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM - Response #14

I'm not upset, and you certainly don't have to remove it. Like I said, I'm going with the majority on this issue, so please, don't hesitate to use it. I'm completely serious - it's no big deal. I only posed the question to learn more about the process around here. And yes, I suppose I'm a little more sensitive to the writing issue because it's what I do for I living.

Now I'm feeling bad that I ever brought it up - I don't want everyone thinking I'm an a$$.

Please put the copy back or I'll be in therapy for years!

Edited 08/08/08 10:43 PM
Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 11:30 AM - Response #15

Found this on the Internet
http://www.yearbookdigital.com/copyright.htm

Publication Date:Before 1923
Condition: None
Copyright Term: In the public domain

Publication Date:1923 - 1977
Condition: No copyright notice.

Publication Date: 1923 - 1963
Condition: There was a copyright notice but it was not renewed. Copyright holders were required to renew their copyright in the 28th year after publication. Only a small percentage actually did this.

Publication Date:1923 - 1963
Condition: The copyright notice was renewed. Permission will be required from the copyright holder.
Copyright Term: 95 years after publication date

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.