ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Open link in new tab

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/24/11 01:31 PM Views: 1550 Replies: 8
Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Is there a way to make a link open in a new browser tab?

Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM - Response #1

Yes. There are various methods. Easiest is THIS link

More ways HERE it has code for popup that will generate the code for you HERE.

This is all for YOUR links, not for CC menu links.

Edited 06/24/11 1:44 PM
Friday, June 24, 2011 at 2:06 PM - Response #2

I believe from reading his question that he's wanting a new browse Tab not a new window.

Tom, As far as I know html only allows to open up to a new window on a link by Target=_blank". Users usually have tab control under Internet Options to turn it on or off.

It looks like in CSS3 that you'll be able to http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-css3-hyperlinks-20040224/

Edited 06/24/11 2:35 PM
Friday, June 24, 2011 at 2:37 PM - Response #3

Look at the 3rd link to show how Javascript creates NEW windows. Handy for standing out/special attention. Click on the preview "test" to see how it looks. It's pretty straightforward. This can't be controlled by any browser setting.

The new "Tab" system does control the html way. Assuming the user has a newer browser, they all open tabs now vs windows (maybe I changed IE setting?) so that should work for him. That was an amazing improvement. By Firefox I think??

Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 8:00 AM - Response #4

Thanks, a window actually is just as good as a tab for my application.

Tom

Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 9:33 AM - Response #5

Tom Homsley wrote:

Tom, I think this is a browser setting choice. (Whether new windows will open as a new tab or a new window.)

So the choice is up to your visitor. To force it to be a new window, I think you would have to specify a pop-out.

No doubt JavaScript could bypass this limitation.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM - Response #6

Most newer browsers with Tabs give a choice. And then for some, it's not a default. For example, IE8 - which is still commonly used for XP systems. Most users do not know how to change to TabsCool (FWIW: The term "New Window" still applies in either case. It's more a matter of how to access the "window".)

The example links I gave above show exactly how to do either one - html or script (May not be obvious, but window.open shown implicitly is javascript, even if it there's no "script" wrapping).

There are some additional things one can do to position the window with javascript. IE9 has a few issues with some variations - will not work with THIS example - yet I have something almost identical and it works? Also different browsers may interpret variations differently - all done to annoy usCool )

Edited 06/25/11 1:34 PM
Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 11:44 PM - Response #7

Tom Homsley wrote:

Here's an easy way! After you have created your link, click on it to edit the link. Then when the edit window comes up click on the "Target" tab. In the Target drop down window click on "New Window(_blank)". Then save it. Now when that link is clicked it will open in a new tab on your browser.

Jim

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM - Response #8

Jim Persing wrote:

Here's an easy way! After you have created your link, click on it to edit the link. Then when the edit window comes up click on the "Target" tab. In the Target drop down window click on "New Window(_blank)". Then save it. Now when that link is clicked it will open in a new tab on your browser.

Jim

Ha! Shocked Thanks, Jim!!! I had never noticed that tab option before. I have always edited the source code. Cool option... Thanks CC Design Team! Cool

Edited 04/09/13 10:43 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.