ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Site activity - counts

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 10/28/09 08:08 AM Views: 1327 Replies: 3
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Sometimes it gets kind of frustrating, because although I have set up many options for classmates to post on our public forums, answer simple polls, or even do simple profile updates, the 108 people I have registered seem to be doing little more than "gawk" on our site. I can see that I'm getting 15 or 20 people a day who stop by, but I guess I'm feeling a little greedy here. I want activity!

Is there any way to see if classmates are using personal messaging? I'm not interested in who, or what; but it sure would be nice to see that "27" personal messages were exchanged this week, when nothing else seems to be happening on the site. I have the Google utility installed, but have not found anything that gets that specific. Just thought I'd check to see if I'm missing something, or if it might be considered as a suggestion for later?

Also, re: the visit count on the message forums - does it count new visits only, or the total number of "hits"?

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM - Response #1

Hi Ruth ~ very nice website you have. While I visited you had 2 people logged on. I don't think there is a way to find out if there are private emailing going on unless I am unaware of it. I encourage it on our site and many of our classmates use the Message Forum and our chat room. I am anxious to see the new chat room and Instant Messaging tool once it is out.

I know that under the Statistics, your classmates are counted only once even if they keep logging on all day. We have lots of classmates logging on our site each day since I am one of them and I see it going on. There are site meters that you can embed on your site that counts each hit but I have yet to find one that I really like.

My goal is to have activity on our site so I am always changing things on the site such as a different poll every 2 weeks, new pics, new tabs, a new game, etc. We have get-togethers all of the time and they are posted on the homepage as well as talked about in the Message Forum. In the Help Forums, under General Questions, check out the "sticky" thread called How To Keep Interest On Your Site. Lots of great ideas in there Ruth! Very Happy

Take Care,
Dawn

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM - Response #2

Hi Dawn,

No wonder you have some much energy...with great songs like the ones you have on your site, who can get "frustrated"?? Very Happy I'll probably visit your site regularly, just to listen!!!

The counter I'm asking about is the one for message forums. I thought that might work differently, as I have been online, and seen the counts jump when I didn't think anyone else was online with me.

The people from my class who are regular internet users tell me I have to be patient..that at our age (ouch!) folks take longer to get comfortable. This would be a good explanation if they weren't all over on Facebook, posting with no problem at all! grrrrr......Perhaps my biggest mistake was getting them started on Facebook, before I found this site....giggle...it's ok...by the time I had the question above posted, I got a great "memories" email from one of the guys, that I'll be to be posting as soon as I have permission. Who knows, it may be the key to getting things started!

I'll try the sticky area you recommended too!

Thanks Dawn!!!!

btw: loved the time change reminder!!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM - Response #3

Although we don't list under Stats the # of emails that were sent through the system on a daily basis, if you're using Google Analytics look for hits to this page:

member_messages_form.cfm

Any time this page is hit it means somebody is sending an email to another Classmate. So it should give you a pretty good idea of how many emails are traveling through your site.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.