ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

auto log off?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/29/10 04:32 PM Views: 1504 Replies: 8
Monday, November 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Hi,

One of my classmates is concerned that his computer stays logged on to CC when he forgets to log off. He explains, "I load the website the next day (or next week) and it says I'm online (when I forget to log off). When I log out, the web site doesn't show me online."

Could you provide an easy to understand explanation of how CC controls time on and off? What role does the browser play in all of this?

Thanks in advance!

Donna

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 4:36 PM - Response #1

Hi Donna,

The browser stores a login cookie for your login until you select the log off link. If you leave the site the system understand you are no longer on the page for the purpose of live chat or instant messaging, however, it will recognize you each time you come back on the same computer/browser system until you select the log off option.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM - Response #2

Thanks for your response Jessia. How does CC work? Does it "time out"? Is there a log off button?

Donna

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM - Response #3

There is a log off link - it is the last link under Member Functions.

Jessica

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 5:36 PM - Response #4

Jessica,
My classmate forgets to log off so I would like to tell him that the session goes inactive after ____ min. of use or something like that. Is that CC function or a browser function? Sorry if I'm not making myself clear!

Donna

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM - Response #5

This is a browser function. It does not go inactive unless he clicks log off or clears his browser cookies.

Jessica

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM - Response #6

Jessica,

Thanks--I think I understand.

Donna

Monday, November 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM - Response #7

I'd like an auto log-off. One of my classmates has been logged in for 36 hours now. Her icon is blue... not red signifying "Away."

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM - Response #8

Let me shed just a little more light on this. When a Classmate logs into the web site two distinct things are going on:

1) A cookie is set that will keep the Classmate logged in. This cookie expires in 24 hours, so at most the Classmate will be logged in for 1 day. The Classmate does however have the option of selecting "Remember Me" at the time of login. This will keep the user logged into the site indefinitely until they click the "Logout" link on the left.

2) The Instant Messenger (if the Classmate has it enabled) becomes active. Unlike the login cookie, the Instant Messenger will only show a Classmate as online if they are regularly using the site. After 15 minutes of inactivity the Classmate will be removed from the list of online users and their IM will disconnect entirely. They will also be disconnected immediately if they leave the page (within 2 seconds).

If a Classmate is showing in the IM pane for 36 hours that means something's not working somewhere. Can you give me the last name of the Classmate appearing there? Also, if you clear you browser cache and relogin to your site are you still seeing the name there?

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.