ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Cannot email or save classlist to flash drive

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/11/19 11:16 AM Views: 290 Replies: 1
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM
Excel error for classmates list.JPG

I have been downloading classlists for the various classes on our website for years. The last couple times I have tried this, the email recipients cannot open the excel file I send them and when I copy it to a flash drive and try to open it I get the same error message. I have attached a screen shot of what is shown when trying to open the downloaded file. This is making it very difficult to share information with other administrators on the site. I know they could download their own, but most are not computer savvy enough to do all that, and I have been doing it for them for quite some time. Now I am having to go to their homes and get on their computers and download it for them. Very time consuming.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM - Response #1

It is most likely the file name - there are extra symbols and periods in the name. Files are always filename.extension so extra periods will confuse many programs into looking for the file type next. They could try renaming that exact file and it may work.

It looks like you are sending them the .htm version not the Excel or CSV version. The CSV version should open in any spreadsheet program. The Excel file should open in any Excel program, however, depending on the version they have it might be better to send them the CSV

.htm files should open as well as long as the file name is correct and does not have extra symbols in it.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.