ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Reducing PDF files with news paper pages

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/18/17 10:17 AM Views: 848 Replies: 4
Friday, August 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM

I have a 76 page, 105 MB booklet which is mostly news paper pages that I'm trying to reduce. I have broken it up into sections and/or kept it whole. My results are either a reduction of a few pages and it stops, or it gives me one blank page. It's not been consistent in the results, except for the fact that it does not reduce the entire section no matter how many pages I send.

I wrote to reducepdfsize.com and was told that he wished he could help but couldn't. Anyone have ideas of what to try.

Thanks, Carole

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM - Response #1

Carole,
Try reducing it in Adobe Acrobat. It's too big to email also. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat you can copy onto a flash drive, you may be able to get it reduced at a computer store or by someone with Acrobat..

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM - Response #2

Thanks for your suggestion, Bob. I solved my problem by starting over: brand new file, which turned out to be slightly larger than the first. But, for some reason reducepdfsize.com worked perfectly. Go figure.

Carole

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM - Response #3

We have scanned 100's of our high school newspapers.
www.southbendadams.com (one of our seven high school sites)

I use iMac with Image Capture scan as TIFF at 300 dpi and check the "Combine into single document".

When the newspaper pages are yellow or stained I use the "image Correction" Manual and adjust the exposure and contrast to get a good image.

I then open Adobe and click on File Create and Create PDF file.

This makes a very large pdf file so there is one more step.

Open Acrobat again and click on Save as other and Reduced size pdf. This action squeezes it down to a very small file size.

It is also searchable.
Sometimes the Descreening for newspaper or magazine helps sharpen the images

You can also improve with Unsharp Mask (I set at Medium)

Since I scan as Black and White (256 Grays) I do not use color Restoration
Hope this helps

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM - Response #4

I have had image PDF files reduce in size by using Acrobat Pro to convert them to text (the image remains) with the OCR tool. I don't know why, but that has often resulted in a smaller file, plus making any converted text searchable and available for copy & paster. In Acrobat DC it seems to be Open for Edit instead of OCR.

Edited 09/06/17 7:32 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.