ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

When "GOOGLING" I can see my home page?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/15/13 03:22 PM Views: 878 Replies: 5
Monday, April 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM

ACTIVE or PASSWORD PROTECTED? Shocked

I know it's very important to LOG OFF evertime i'm done with the site. Today, I left it on to do a google search, and i saw the classmate ,clicked on her name, which brought me back to the HOME PAGE and from there, I could see my Classmate profile names listed, but needed a password to view individual profiles.

I then went into "EDIT SITE PAGES"> "EDIT LINK", and saw under the home page and profile page that both the Active and password protect were both clicked.

if i wanted total privacy for my classmates so they DO NOT show their names in Profiles, or any other page online, do I check all the boxes with PASSWORD PROTECTED? A few of the classmates opted out because they did not want eyes on their profiles. HELP! Rolling Eyes

What page would be the ONLY page I should check as active? And..when the site is not logged off, is that when it visibly seen by the WWW?

Edited 04/15/13 3:23 PM
Monday, April 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM - Response #1

Another thing, is I LOGGED OFF my website, then "Googled" my name, then I saw this Class Creator help forums listed,

Class Creator Forums - General Discussion
forums.classcreator.com/threads.cfm?forumid=F71C319B...

...clicked on that, which took me back here. I thought this was password protected site too. Shocked

I make absolutely certain I'm LOGGED OUT with either this Forum,or my HS website.

Edited 04/15/13 3:31 PM
Monday, April 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM - Response #2

I sounds like you know this, but just in case. This help site login and your class login are two different logins.

You will see your name here IF you are logged in. There is a Logout at the top right here, second menu bar.

Not sure what you meant for next. So I might be repeating what you already know. For your class, if you see "EDIT..." then you are logged in to your site since those options only appear when you are logged in.

To protect profiles for general viewing, members have to have to "lock" their profiles by checking "Profile Visibility". I think CC can make this a default now if you ask??

Pages are protected from general view by checking Password Protect in Edit link. However, it's generally not suggested you protect the Profile page since that makes it more difficult to join. But some do this. Your decision.

Monday, April 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM - Response #3

Unless you don't even want to show your classmates' names publicly, I do not recommend password protecting your Classmate Profiles page. Each Classmate already has the option to lock down Profiles so no public can view.

We do not show names or classes on this forum unless you are logged in. Thus I don't see how Google could pick up your name with a direct link here. When I Google "James Tobin" I'm not seeing any links to this forum. Can you do this again? If so can you click print screen and attach a screenshot to this forum?

Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 4:12 AM - Response #4

Hi and Thanks! hope someone can follow this.....It's a bit winded, but hard to get all these questions out, and make them sound rational.
Worried that anyone could see all the member functions and folders without logging in, I had previously went into EDIT LINKS, and unchecked "ACTIVE", and checked ONLY "PASSWORD PROTECTED", except for the two HOME PAGE, and "CLASSMATE PROFILES". but I don't see anywhere on the left panel to click any folder anymore, probably because I unchecked active. There were many other folders listed over to the left under MEM Functions before I changed it. How do classmates see these "password protected", un-active links, if I can't even see them?

In the past I had all the folders.in the edit pages BOTH ACTIVE and PASSWORD PROTECTED Checked , does this help keep unregistered people from looking at these folders,and letting classmates see the link, but still keep others not logged in seeing all this content,unless they have a password to login to the website?

I'll ask it this way, Does checking BOTH Active and Password protected boxes together do anything at all, or should it be either one or the other? Which ones should be ACTIVE, the HOME PAGE, and CLASSMATE PROFILES, and all the rest password protected, even if this is done, I can't see anything on the left except the two links.

OK, I went back logged in, edit pages, and clicked BOTH ACTIVE & PASSWORD PROTECTED, (but left Home Page and Classmate Profiles ACTIVE.

I logged out, opened the website w/o logging in, and now I can see ALL the links to the left, and they each need a password to view. whew!Rolling Eyes

Edited 04/18/13 4:25 AM
Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM - Response #5

ACTIVE means it will appear on the left side menus
PASSWORD means you must be logged in to view the contents. If it isn't ACTIVE, the PASSWORD doesn't mean anything because there is no link to click

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.