ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

New site activity notification sound

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 02/27/12 11:39 PM Views: 1141 Replies: 2
Monday, February 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I'd like to suggest a different sound (or choice of sounds) for the notifications of classmate activity on our site.

The current "sonar ping" is very intrusive (in my opinion). It interrupts my train of thought from two rooms away. I even hear it from the other end of the house! I thought I might get used to it, but after three months it's still like chalk on blackboard to me.

The sound used by facebook and GMail chat, btw, are much less bothersome to me.

I finally learned how to turn it off in the Members Online box, but I don't want it OFF - just something more subdued (and a volume control would be great as long as I'm "wish-listing").

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM - Response #1

You may have the ability to control the speaker volume for sounds generated by specific applications (such as your web browser) using the Sound control panel on your computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM - Response #2

Thanks for your quick response. I did try turning down "Windows Sounds" in the "Volume Mixer" - but found that doesn't effect the Class Creator activity sound on my Vista machine. Meaning I'd have to turn down things I prefer at their current volume to lower the CC sound volume.

Meanwhile, I thought perhaps my posting might show that I'm not the only one who'd prefer your using a mellower sound - which to my (limited) knowledge would be a very minor bit (maybe one line?) of re-coding - i.e., just choosing a different default system sound.

But I'll grant it may be just me - especially if no one else "chimes in" here to agree. Laughing

PS/FYI:

The rest of the volume control settings on my computer are just right for all my other sound uses - including videos and music in my browser - so lowering the volume for CC activity means resetting the volume every time I want something at full volume - at least in the browser.

And as an Admin, I like to leave the site up in a tab nearly all the time so I can see what's happening. So doable but inconvenient.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.