ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Password Help

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/11/09 01:23 PM Views: 1276 Replies: 8
Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Brad or one of the CC team:

I have a classmate who says she can't log on to site, password doesn't work. I have gone in and given her a new PW twice, saved it, etc. and she still tells me she can't get on. She is emailing me from the same email listed on her profile, so I don't think that's the problem.

Can you check/advise: Carol Fogel Downey. I currently have the PW set to "reunion." Also, is it new that you can't "see" the PW? At least when we saw dots we knew there was one in place. Now it looks like people don't have one.

Anyway, HELP!!
Sue Hall

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 1:38 PM - Response #1

We removed the **** for security purposes and put a new note under the password box. Maybe I'll have the programmer put in actual asterisks just so people know a password is present. But the ***** would actually show up in the source code this time instead of the actual password. Yea, I might do that...

Anyway:

1) Click FAQs above
2) Click Questions About Passwords

Everything you'll ever need to know to solve these types of situations is right there for you. Take a look, and if you still have any questions about how to handle this let me know.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

We removed the **** for security purposes and put a new note under the password box. Maybe I'll have the programmer put in actual asterisks just so people know a password is present. But the ***** would actually show up in the source code this time instead of the actual password. Yea, I might do that...

That's an excellent idea. If implemented would there be a way to have the asterisks actually be representative of the password. I bring this up because in the past when a classmate would tell me that they'd forgotten their password I' d point them to the password recovery feature but also tell them, "Even though I can't see what it is your password is x characters in length." I did this as I considered it might help their recollection.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 2:18 PM - Response #3

Whenever I'm faced with this situation, I supply them their login and tell them that their password is now 1234.

This saves them coming back to me again, and they will realize that they're logging in with the wrong email, etc.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM - Response #4

Yes we can make it the actual length of the password if that will help you jog recollection, sure.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM - Response #5

I had already tried the process described in the FAQs when I posed this question.

I will try resetting the person's PW again (although will be the 3rd time, maybe it will be the charm?) and hope she gets it right?? I was just thinking maybe there was a glitch somewhere in her specific profile.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM - Response #6

They're logging on using the wrong email address, I'll bet....

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM - Response #7

Probably put the first part of the email address in without the email provider (i.e., left off "@xxx.com")...We'll see...

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 6:30 PM - Response #8

Whenever I get these emails, (and I've had tons) the first thing I do is have a look at their profile, copy their login email address, and type 1234 in for their new pswd. Then I tell them what their login email is and that their password is now 1234

Because half of the time they're trying to login with their secondary email address and don't realize it.

At least this way you can deal with them just once....

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.