ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New Preferences Area

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/05/08 06:45 PM Views: 5681 Replies: 31
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Any comments on our upcoming "Preferences" area before this becomes an official programming task? Here's the mockup:

http://www.classcreator.com/template/preferences.html

Is it clear enough? Recommended changes? Anything else anybody would like to see added to this new area?

Edited 08/05/08 6:45 PM
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 9:50 AM - Response #1

I absolutely LOVE these upgrades. They are exactly what I have been requesting for several months. Thank you guys for your hard work and for listening to all of our requests.

Please make them effective as soon as possible. Laughing

Edited 08/06/08 12:20 PM
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 1:41 PM - Response #2

Don't have time to analyze it right now - but if you guys think the changes are good, move forward. I can't think of anything you've done wrong.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM - Response #3

Looks good to me...thanks for all you do!

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 1:21 PM - Response #4

Love it....looks good. when is this coming?

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 2:02 PM - Response #5

ETA 5 weeks from now. Give or take a couple weeks. Smile

Friday, August 15, 2008 at 9:26 PM - Response #6

I really like the new preferences page! It looks great and is awesome!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 8:40 PM - Response #7

Brad, looks really good...covers a lot of things I emailed you about before the forums Smile

I like the verified option -- should there also be a 'reject' option that resets the record?

Dave

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 9:18 PM - Response #8

Brad,
Just read this thread! Excellent updates... I look forward to using it!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM - Response #9

For the sake of usability and ensuring people don't make a mistake, I'd prefer people just click the delete button to remove a hijacked Classmate name. The only difference would be you'd have to re-enter the Classsmate's name after deleting it.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 3:17 PM - Response #10

I think that a "Send E-mail in HTML or Plain Text format" or "Include graphics in E-mail communications" would be nice. The reason is that because there are graphics in the e-mail that comes from your site that include the High School LOGO, the e-mails end up in my junk mail filter because "Reason: Image links to remote sites" message.

If the e-mail didn't have the graphic image, the spam filter would not reject this e-mail about "New Classmate Notification" subject.

I don't know if the "Email the class" also includes graphics. If so, maybe this e-mail has ended up in some classmate's spam folder.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 5:57 PM - Response #11

The problem with that is when we send emails in plain text (which we did in the beginning) many people don't recognize the email address postmaster@classcreator.net so they were just deleting the emails thinking they were spam and not taking more than a second to glance at the mail.

When we switched to the logo emails, the problem of people thinking they were spam immediately vanished, because everybody recognizes their own school logo and immediately regards the email as real, as opposed to spam.

What email software are you using? I'm not aware of any that put emails into the spam folder simply because they reference images. Numerous emails are sent in html today and contain graphics. Although I do realize your own email software did this, I don't believe the majority of email packages do this. Also, regarding whatever email software you are using, did it do this by default? Or have you change dthe spam security settings on your email software?

In any case, this is why we tell people to inform their classmates that they should whitelist postmaster@classcreator.net so no emails are missed. That's the best thing your classmates can do to ensure they don't miss anything. If we were to remove the school name and logo from the top of the emails we'd immediately be back to square 1 with people deleting emails without taking a moment to look at them.

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 1:45 AM - Response #12

Would there be any way that when the email is sent that it doesn't come from postmaster@classcreator.com but shows as being from the site admin's email address?

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 2:05 AM - Response #13

No, because it's known as "spoofing" and would get our email server banned if we did it. The mail comes from postmaster@classcreator.net but it comes from your own name and also has your 'reply to' address, so all replies go right to you. It's the same as most systems, such as Facebook for example. If somebody sends you something through Facebook you don't get the email from that person's eamil address -- you get it from a Facebook address.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 8:26 PM - Response #14

Brad Switzer wrote:

ETA 5 weeks from now. Give or take a couple weeks. Smile

How's it coming?

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 4:06 AM - Response #15

Well, let's say "give a couple weeks" is going to be more accurate. I'm currently trying to find off most requests so the programmers can get the much anticipated themed templates into the system. Busy busy.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 10:46 AM - Response #16

I love the preferences area. I really appreciate all the updates and upgrades you are making to the site.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 8:44 PM - Response #17

when is this coming? and how will we access it on our page?

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 11:16 PM - Response #18

We'll be working on this after the release of the 6 themed templates, due out within the next couple weeks. When Preferences is live, you'll see a new link called "Preferences" under your Administrative link block (third block of links when you're logged in).

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 2:50 PM - Response #19

Has this feature been released yet? I'm not seeing it among my admin options.

We've got a problem of classmates (our very own people) getting rather obscene on the message forums. We've tried to get them to temper down, but they keep pushing the envelope. So, we shut down the forum.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to block certain classmates from the forum - other than deleting their account all together?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 1:49 PM - Response #20

When we have had classmates use profanity or in appropriate content, we just edit it out.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 1:52 PM - Response #21

I've done that some Pam, but it got to the point that it was like trying to babysit a dozen 3 year olds by yourself... we just didn't have the time to keep monitoring the forum.

We've since de-activated the forum (two of them!) and banned one person from the site altogether.

We'll wait it out & see what happens.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 3:15 PM - Response #22

Ah, eternal high school... We've heard it before. Smile

What you'll actually be interested in is the upcoming threaded forums. You'll be able to block specific users if you want to. There's a couple of things we're trying to get out first, but then we'll be working on that.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 3:58 AM - Response #23

Really like the options. And now the infamous question ... WHEN. I am about to launch my reunions site. Would be great to have this on the front end. One classmate already got hit with identity theft, there are several that are weary.

D

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 10:39 AM - Response #24

My only concern is that mass emails from an administrator (we have multiple) should display the administrator's email that it's coming from and not the email shown in the "Email From Name:" option.

Otherwise, it's looking great!

Lewis

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 10:55 AM - Response #25

And a most excellent concern that is, because had it gone live like that I'm absolutely certain many people would have had questions about that. I changed that area and updated the wording -- reload the Preferences mockup to see if you think this works.

Dave Kauffman is working on the Preferences area now. I don't have an exact ETA because it's a significant task full of smaller tasks. It is under development now though, and as soon as it's done we'll be announcing it here in the forums and through a system wide email as well.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM - Response #26

This has been an incredible experience putting my site together. I have never worked on a website, so it was definitely a learning experience.

Thank you for providing this to us.

A couple of questions. I copied instructions to classmates from another class site (thank you), but it would be great for it to be an template page option. We can change the details but the basic template would be there (or is it and just did not see it?)

I would like to have the flexiblity to move the menu to the right site, within the page, and moving the stuff, birthdays, this day in history... stuff to the left. I figured out how to add menu links into the body of the pages, but I would like to see how the page feels with those items reveresed.

Anyways, again THANK YOU!!! this is a great utility and I am so appreciative. I am sure once it gets some registrations and visits, I will be referring other classes.

Edited 11/29/08 12:18 PM
Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 12:25 PM - Response #27

Just to make sure we're on the same page (quite literally), you're talking about your Website Registration page correct? A default instructional page is a good idea. Do you remember the site you copied this from? For good measure I'll ask for permission to "templatize" some of this wording from the original author.

No designs currently have a right hand navigational option as you've noticed. For the most part right hand navigations are somewhat rare. Having said that, over time we'll be releasing various new designs into the system. So ya never know when something might strike your fancy. Smile

Saturday, November 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM - Response #28

Yes, you guessed correctly. I named mine Website Registration. I have seen a similar version on other class sites here, which is why I thought it might already be a template. I have searched the forums for the page I found the school, but... I feel awful I had no success in finding the one I borrowed mine from. I know it was a class of 1959 with a Green Background (not one with a decade background) and the school's initials were MHS or something close to that. I modified mine some, and found it was necessary to be very careful since the hyperlinks led you back to the MHS school.

Hopefully you can find the school from the info I gave you.

Edited 11/29/08 5:35 PM
Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 6:47 PM - Response #29

Well here is a good reason to get this page up (registeration instructions.) In my google analytics I keep seeing this other school site show up in my data. I found the school, and the page... http://www.classcreator.com/Westover-NC-1900/class_custom3.cfm. The administrator must have copied my registration instructions page, but did not change the links. I checked... the links are leading back to my pages. Kind of funny, right?? except the users might be saying HUH??? Shocked

Edited 12/28/08 6:49 PM
Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 9:49 PM - Response #30

Joyce Deprest wrote:

Well here is a good reason to get this page up (registeration instructions.) In my google analytics I keep seeing this other school site show up in my data. I found the school, and the page... http://www.classcreator.com/Westover-NC-1900/class_custom3.cfm. The administrator must have copied my registration instructions page, but did not change the links. I checked... the links are leading back to my pages. Kind of funny, right?? except the users might be saying HUH??? Shocked

Joyce, I don't know if you already did this, but I sent a "Contact Us" message to the admin of "http://www.classcreator.com/Westover-NC-1900" telling them about what they are doing wrong (links still point to your website and still using your Google Analytics code.)

Kyle

Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 9:53 PM - Response #31

No, I did not do anything... was not sure what the proper protocol would be.

Thank you

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.