ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Disabling Password Changes?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/02/15 01:12 PM Views: 841 Replies: 4
Monday, March 2, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Hi Brad & CC Support & community, our "retirees club" CC site has a requirement to service our less computer savvy members. We migrated from the legacy site that only had a single id and password, which I admit only gave the weakest of security, but that was sufficient for the club.

Ultimately we'd like to see all our members adopt personal ids (their email account) and personal passwords, but may not happen quickly. In order to keep it simple for our aging demographic, the club wants to continue use (for now) of a single ID/password. We implemented that by having a guest account, associated with a generic email account for the login id, and password for that account. We verified it and published it to our membership.

Unfortunately, even despite a warning to leave the profile/password untouched, members are changing the password and modifying the generic guest account profile, thus locking it out for the next guest account user. This probably involves clicking on the "Forget Password link" sending them a reset password link in email.

The question is, can we lock the profile from changes, and ditto disable password resets?

If not, do you (or community) have suggestions on a KISS method to login with that guest account?

Bear in mind we do have computer savvy members who've already verified personalized accounts and will use the CC features, but there will be others who will only login to view/read club content and never use any of the more advanced social networking features available via CC. We need to address the lowest common denominator, being non-computer=savvy members who will only ever use the guest account.

I welcome suggestions from the CC community Smile

Monday, March 2, 2015 at 1:28 PM - Response #1
System Password.JPG

If you have the option to set a system password that might give you a partial solution. It allows access to all areas of the site EXCEPT for profiles that members have locked down. That's the only downside I'm aware of. An upside is that admins are the only ones that can change the system password.

If you have this option it's located at the bottom of Edit Site Pages as shown in the attachment. I say if because it's an option that CC has tended to move away from.

Monday, March 2, 2015 at 1:46 PM - Response #2

Thanks F C, I thought of using the System Password method for members to login but as we *do* have "secured" content,it's not an option at this time.

Yes, I recognize it's not very secure at all to tell everyone to use the same guest account, but it's sufficient for the time being...

Cheers! Allen.

Monday, March 2, 2015 at 6:07 PM - Response #3

Allen Mar wrote:

Thanks F C, I thought of using the System Password method for members to login but as we *do* have "secured" content,it's not an option at this time.

Yes, I recognize it's not very secure at all to tell everyone to use the same guest account, but it's sufficient for the time being...

Cheers! Allen.

The system password does allow them to see the "secure" password protected pages but not profiles. If they are not using their own e-mails and passwords anyway, they probably don't have profiles created.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 1:21 PM - Response #4

Hi Barbara, I used the System Password thing long ago, and should test it again. If it works as you say, it will resolve our club's need after all.

Tnx, Allen.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.