ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

File Vault Space

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/21/13 05:35 PM Views: 2026 Replies: 29
Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I think I am still confused and I want to be thrifty, at least for this time period. I have done my yearbook on photobucket, so we know that doesn't count.

I have scanned a junior high yearbook which IS in the vault. OK. I have tons of "galleries" that do NOT show up in the vault.

My question is: Are those galleries part of the vault space or not?

I sold our Class of 1973 on this product and have been watching what he does; and everyone does things a little differently, and he has his YEARBOOK in galleries and I don't see them in his vault. (It's kinda cool!)

Obviously, he gave me some admin privileges to be able to see this.

Simply put, are the pictures in our "photo galleries" taking up vault space, or not????

Thanks,
Denise

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM - Response #1

Yes, PHOTO GALLERIES do take file vault space.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM - Response #2

I looked at something wrong. He has Platinum and I have Premium. He is only using <3% of his space and I thought "Shoot he has all these galleries in here!" but I have to remember that 3% of Platinum space is considerably different than 3% of Premium. Duh. I couldn't figure that out.

I am over 50% and I want to get through another reunion before I would upgrade. Right now I am not asking for that from people. So I will make some decisions.

Thanks.
Denise

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM - Response #3

Denise,
If you are using windows they have a free utility program called "Picture Resizer". I always resize my photos before I do a Gallery to keep my vault storage low. If you like I can open up my galeries for you to see picture quality which is very good.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM - Response #4

Using other sites to store images is good way to use the best features of CC and those sites to reduce costs. DropBox.com is another site for 2GB of storage. Some of our images are stored there.

Also be aware that gallery creator can increase the size of images significantly - even if reduced in size. Ours were 3X larger than required, till I bypassed the gallery and just stored them raw in the file vault and linked to them.

Edited 03/21/13 6:29 PM
Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM - Response #5

I'm getting close to the maximum space in my vault and am wondering if there is a way other than upgrading to Platinum--which we can't afford--to buy more space.

Carole

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM - Response #6

I agree with Bob. Another option for bulk resizing photos is IrfanView, a program that can be downloaded for free.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM - Response #7

Robert, I am always up for looking at someone else's work. Private message me. Thx.

Jack, I'll take a look at Dropbox too. I haven't done that yet.

And I'm right there with Carole, making the most of what I've got. My classmates have paid us out to 2022, very generously, and I am not ready to ask for more at this time.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM - Response #8

F C Bock - I have InfranView, and I don't see how to do more than one pix at a time.
Can you pvt msg me with where I can find that?
Thanks!

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM - Response #9

Private message not required. After opening the program just press the letter b.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM - Response #10

Use Batch Conversion/Rename from IrfanView menu

(same as B noted)

Remember, resizing does not help with Gallery uploadsExclamation

Those resize automatically to the max required.

For images not used in a Gallery, the way to make JPG images smaller (in storage space) is to change the compression factor when saved (and reduce in size as desired).

Edited 03/21/13 6:44 PM
Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM - Response #11

Resizing has helped me save significant space in the Galleries.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM - Response #12

Here's how to objectively figure this out.

Resize and save the image using a good compression factor on your computer - where you can't tell the difference in image quality. Make the resize exactly the size that CC supports.

Now upload in a gallery and compare the sizes.

I guarantee you that the gallery size will be much larger.

(You probably saved at a compression factor that doesn't show this behavior. This is an option when you save JPG images and can make images 10X smaller. The higher compressions suffer image degradation, but not at around 65%)

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM - Response #13

Here's a test page to show the tremendous differences in file sizes of gallery images vs images stored in the file vault and how JPG compression selection makes a huge difference. CC uses low compression, hence the file size increases.

First I started with a 1600x1200 image that is straight from the camera and uploaded to file vault. Its file size is 605KB (I could have reduced that quite a bit, but I left it to show what happens doing various size and saving operations.

Next I uploaded that image to a gallery and CC resizes to 1000 x 750 (the max). This image is 746KB. 141KB larger yet for a much smaller image.

I then resized the image on my system to 1000x750, saved it using 65% compression and uploaded to file vault. Size is 104KB. That's a 660KB reduction in size from the gallery image.

Then I uploaded my resized image in the gallery again. It stays at 1000x750 but the size is now 412KB. This is a 4X increase in file size.

Here's the link with the images I described showing what happens. You can verify what I described by viewing the image properties.

LINK

This is true even if you go below the 1000x750 size. IOW, let's say you make them 640x480. A file vault version will be much smaller than a gallery version of the same image.

What would be a nice option for CC to offer is a "do NOT mess" with images uploaded to a gallery (if it's within the size limits) and keep it asis. That makes it much better for users to not only get higher quality images (CC stuff actually harms the image) but also save file vault space.

Edited 03/22/13 12:53 PM
Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM - Response #14

Wow! Thanks for that illustration, Jack! (I am very visually oriented). Everyone check that out for the experience.

Denise

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM - Response #15

Jack,
I resized your final result and reduced it to 65kb. I uploaded it to CC and this is the final results. The outcome was 238kb.

Link

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 10:02 PM - Response #16

Thanks for the added testing emphasizing the big difference. This also makes image loading much slower.

That 640x480 uploaded to a gallery ended up 2X larger in file size than the 1000x750 file vault version!

65KB vs 238KB close to the same 4X difference. Sometimes less sometimes more.

You know, I just realized if we could upload and replace images directly in the Gallery folder it would solve these issues. Image Vault already shows them. So the (another) solution is to allow us to replace existing files in the Gallery folder.

What's strange is that the actual file size of Gallery photos is not displayed or did I miss something? That's a a relatively simple thing to implement seeing how the other folders have all the code already. Maybe only root can see?

If this got fixed, I'd be tempted to use the gallery again.Wink

Edited 03/21/13 10:03 PM
Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM - Response #17

Jack,

How do you get the pixel information the photo uploaded to the Gallery? When I right click on a picture there I get the file size but not the pixels.

Fred

Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM - Response #18

For IE10 properties shows both, although there's a bug for image pixel dimensions when displaying the CC gallery scripted image - that was odd.

If you copy the URL of the image and paste that into the address bar, I could get the complete information for IE10. IE9 is similar - don't know about older versions.

If you use FF, Right Click, View Image Info.

For a quick test, use the gallery image link Robert posted. Unless that's what you already tried? In that case, switch to FF 19.xx to see.

Friday, March 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM - Response #19

Thanks for the URL hint. That did it.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM - Response #20

I started building a large play list and CC and quickly discovered I was out of storage. I deleted the entire play list which should give me the space back but CC still says I'm using the 237 m. I'm only paying for 200. Does anyone know how long it takes or how I can get my space back.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM - Response #21

Richard, just deleting the MP3 from the Playlist Widget does not delete the file from the file vault. If you want to clean up the file vault, go to Edit Site Pages, then Edit Home Page, the click on the LINK icon (3rd from right on second row), then click on the FILE VAULT button. You will see a list of MP3 files. Delete the ones you are sure you aren't using any more.

Friday, March 29, 2013 at 12:01 AM - Response #22

Thank you...

Momentary mind cramp.

Monday, April 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM - Response #23

I tried to follow your directions for seeing what is in the file vault but, after clicking on "Edit Site Pages" and seeing the edit page appear, I can not find a button or link anywhere on the page remotely looks like "Edit Home Page" Has this been changed recently?

Oops, found it. Our home page title has changed.

I visited http://www.fairbornbakerclassof72.org/class_admin_fv_space.cfm

and see that "Editor Files" are taking up nearly half of the space. How do I figure out what the Editor Files are?

Edited 04/15/13 12:57 AM
Monday, April 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM - Response #24

Editor Files are anything you upload via the site page editors -- this includes photos, PDFs, Word Files etc.

Friday, October 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM - Response #25

How do I buy more space without going to Platium?

Friday, October 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM - Response #26

There may be other ways but once you get within a certain percentage of your total file vault capacity a link will appear that offers the ability to purchase additional space.

Friday, October 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM - Response #27

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought might happen. I'm loading lots of photos from our reunion last weekend and I'm at 82%. I'll keep loading until I get a message.

Thanks again.
Doreene

Saturday, October 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM - Response #28

FC is correct. Not until you exceed your purchased file vault capacity will the link appear.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM - Response #29

Thanks, Kyle. I got the link and went Platinum.

Doreene

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.