ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Banned Classmate

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/23/12 06:33 PM Views: 1659 Replies: 19
Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM

We had to ban a classmate from the site a few years ago. S/he is now emailing us and wants to be put back on the class list. This person is a real pain in the butt.
Is there a way we can put him/her back on the class list..without giving him/her access to join? I haven't been able to figure it out.
HELP!!! WinkWink

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM - Response #1

You can add the person as a non-displaying class member (the option appears on the details page when adding a new classmate). In order to do this, you will have to enter an email and password for the classmate. After completing the addition, you can then remove the email address from the Primary Email field and no one will be able to log in as this user.

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM - Response #2

The problem is we want him displayed on the class list but not able to re-join....any ideas how to do that out there?Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM - Response #3

You could turn on NEW CLASSMATE VERIFICATION (Preferences page, then scroll down to find the option), then never approve his profile.

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 1:38 PM - Response #4

thanx Kyle..but we don't want to have to approve everyone...I will think of Something.QuestionIdeaIdea

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM - Response #5

I have a classmate that had to be banned too. With his permission, I left his profile on the site but changed the email address and password on his profile to my own personal email address. Then I posted notice on his profile that said I would forward any messages received for him on the site to his private email address. I told him that so long as I do not receive complaints about him, I would leave his profile in place.

This way, although he does not have access to the site, he hasn't been completely omitted from our class list. So far, it seems to be working pretty well.

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM - Response #6

I guess..I will have to do something like you all have suggested..make a fake email..or use my own.
It was his profile that was offensive..and I will not forward any messages received for him...I have enough to do..than fool around with that.
I guess I will sleep on it...and breeze it by my '64 site admin..who knows him quite well.
Thanx everyone for all the suggestions.IdeaIdea

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM - Response #7

Eric & Kyle- We have a classmate that is not listed. I added him as a test for the above issue. I followed the above directions & his name does not appear on the class list but DOES appear as a guest member.
Is there a way to non-display his name entirely but have his name, address, etc remain available, for reports, etc?

Thanks, John

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM - Response #8

Jon, what is the name of the classmate?

Darlene, I forgot to mention that after you remove the email address, you can change the display option on the DETAILS page to YES, so the person will be listed in the class list, but no one will be able to log into that account.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM - Response #9

Eric- I deleted him as I did not want the name to appear anywhere (members or guests) while the website was live & I hadn't accomplished what I tried to do.

If you'd like me to recreate what I did I can do that
John

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM - Response #10

Well, when you select how to have the name appear, the options are Yes, No, and Show as Guest. If you select No, then the name will not show up anywhere, and you will have to enter a password for the account because no one will be able to register as someone whose name doesn't show up in any list to click on.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM - Response #11

Eric- I entered the classmates name & chose "NO" as the option for the name to show. I created an email & a password. I then went in & deleted the email address (& it was deleted).
However, the name still shows as a guest member.
I'm sure I'm missing something but there's a thick fog this morning & I can't see what it is.
John

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM - Response #12

The only possible explanation for that is that you have the name entered more than once. If you go to the Enter/Edit Classmates page in Manage Classmates and enter part or all of the name in the search field, all matching names will show, and if you have more than one of the same, you can then delete the one(s) you don't want.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM - Response #13

Only one name showed up. Is it possible I should not have deleted the email address I made up for him?
If not, I give up.

I've deleted everything for now & I'll play with this when I have absolutely nothing to do. LOL
Thanks for trying, John

Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM - Response #14

Just curious...what were some of the reasons the classmates were banned from your sites?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM - Response #15

Only 1 on our site has been banned for offensive stuff on his profile. We are now having another problem with him...he wants to be put back on the class list...I finally did that..now he keeps emailing me and then called me on the phone. I will not tolerate him..and have blocked his email to me. I have my email from the website forwarded to one of my email boxes....so now I won't see any mail from him to that email addy...but I do still get it thru the site. I will not answer his calls either..if he keeps it up..I will take other measures to stop him from contacting me.
He thinks I am the one who banned him..it was the committee and site admins decision to keep him off the site. The material on his profile offended many people.
I wish I would have just ignored his emails. Might have been better.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM - Response #16

We have (at least) 2 classmates that did not want to have anything to do with our class or the website. I wanted them included in the class list but I did not want their names or any info visible to other classmates. When creating a class list (for admin's only) I wanted to have a complete list. Listing them as "missing" only caused other classmates to contact us trying to help by supplying details for them.
It doesn't appear what I'm trying to do is possible but I'll keep playing with it when I have time.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM - Response #17

I put in a fake email addy...I used noemail@noeamil.com..and put in some kind of password...now I can't even remember it....I signed in as the person who is banned. put a fake address..I do know he lives in CA..Now he's on the class list..and be a real (__)o(__)!!! I guess it will stop for now..and in a few more yrs start all over again. He was a total (__)v(__) in HS..and hasn't changed.
Just put them on the class list....fudge their address you could put the state....sign on as them..create a profile..and leave it like that..or just put the not missing overide on.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM - Response #18

Darlene- I entered a fake email address & fake password for one of the classmates. I then went back in & deleted the email address. His name did not show as a class member but it did show as a "guest" member. I don't want anything to be visable to other classmates. I had also entered his home address info. If I delete that & also his email address I'm afraid he will show up as a missing classmate (don't want that either).
As I said, maybe what I'm trying to do is not possible. Not a big deal. But thanks for the offer to help.

Friday, September 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM - Response #19

We had a guy put on his site that he was an Army Special Forces or something like that -it has been awhile. Someone from the Army -not on our site- found out about this and they wanted to beat the guy. He eventually stopped it an was let back on but I always keep an eye on him.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.